Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

ANYONE IN MA HAD LUCK YET

Tags
luck
5K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  JoeSixpack 
#1 ·
Went to the cape saturday with Jimi4290,did some surfcasting at the canal and buttermilk bay with pogy and some plugs,no luck except for a couple crabs that ate the pogy chunks.

Wondering if anyone else has had any luck

#4 ·
I was going to head out this weekend (6th) but from what I thought and from what I am reading it seems a little early yet. This sh*tty cold weather probably doesn't help.....
Is it just me or is the season approaching more slowly than in other years.....In plymouth there are no boats on any of the moorings yet..

#5 ·
It's not just you. I normally put it in April around 2nd week but this year decided to do all those tasks BEFORE I went in. I'm still on the trailer. The harbors here are empty. 3 boats in one harbor and 5 in the other. Normally there are at least a dozen in each.

Think it might be fuel costs keeping folks out? I'm seeing a lot of boats for sale. Mostly high end with twins or triples.

#7 ·
I think that's it. I was looking at a very nice boat this winter for short money until he told me it had a 150gallon tank.

I fuel up using 5gallon jugs. I bring the boat to the dock and do 20gallons at a time. I went to the marina once and vowed never again. I also send my receipts in to the state for tax refunds.

#12 ·
Interesting question....

If you have a "guide service", and you make it a "legit" business (registering a name with the State, getting a tax ID or using your SS number for a business account, etc.), can you right off all the gas you get? I keep receipts for gas and tolls when I traveling for work. I wonder if this can apply to a guide? With gas prices the way they are, I think it would be somewhat of a luxury to not be taxed on that income you use to fill your boats tank.

#13 ·
Yes, if your boat is being used for business (work) pursposes and you are taking clients out that is tax deductible, because it has to do with your job. It's kinda like truck drivers, when they do hauls they save gas receipts because at the end of the year they can turn those in and get a refund

#16 ·
Jonny Bolt said:
Interesting question....

If you have a "guide service", and you make it a "legit" business (registering a name with the State, getting a tax ID or using your SS number for a business account, etc.), can you right off all the gas you get? I keep receipts for gas and tolls when I traveling for work. I wonder if this can apply to a guide? With gas prices the way they are, I think it would be somewhat of a luxury to not be taxed on that income you use to fill your boats tank.
you can deduct all your business expenses.. fuel, boat interest payments, tackle costs, meals, entertainment 50%, insurance costs, registration fees.. you'll only be allowed a few years of losing money though before you'll need to show a profit or you'll be whacked down to a "hobby" category with limited (real limited) deductions..

rock on!

#19 ·
Was out this morning from about 1:30 until 6:30 when I had to pack it in and come to work. Nothing to show for my efforts, but I did witness a 26 incher caught on a bunker chunk and released around 5am or so. Was a nice night to be out fishing.

Was fishing the Westport River with lures, as I didn't have time to get to the baitshop before they closed last night. Mostly tossing 9 inch sluggos, but tried out a number of other things as well. Stupid me lost a popper and a cheap crankbait to the overhead power lines while casting in the dark. I tossed a sluggo over it once too, but got that one back. There's a wad of lures on that power line about the size of a football, lol. I wonder how long it will be before some dope gets electrocuted trying to get at em, lol.

#22 ·
ckphelps said:
WITH ALL THE RAIN AND FLOODING THE ONLY THING IN THE RIVERS IS DEBRIS,OR MAYBE AN ODD BOAT ON THE MRRIMACK THAT THE DOCK CHAINS BROKE.
I have to disagree, I've been nailing them all week in the North River, about 3/4 mile from the mouth. I've had fish every day from last tuesady until lastnight, except sunday when I took one cast and said 'forget this' then went home to be warm and dry. They have all been under 20-21" inches except 2.

Got a 5 last night including a fat 24" on a 5/8's bucktail and 6lb line. He was feisty! The average size is creeping up... Last tues/wednesday most were under 16", lastnight I had 3 about 19"+/- 1" one about 14" and the 24"

The Merrimack sounds like it is in hard shape though, all that raw sewage now too... yuck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.