New Reel - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: New Reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post
DONE!!!!!!
Same numbah?
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
Did I miss something,did the thread change topic?WTF dose this have to do with spinning or convench reels?!?!?
Sorry...anyways I assume the same presentation could be done with a baitrunner correct?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Veteran Elite

A baitrunner does not freespool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon006 View Post
Sorry...anyways I assume the same presentation could be done with a baitrunner correct?
It seems like you were throwing a dig out there.....I don't understand why you'd do this since this thread was about conventional VS spinning reels.

I know of some people who have bait runners 4500,5500 & 6500 they have attempted to drift chunks and eels with the "Bait runner" rear drag in affect but it has too much resistance,as you know the whole spool rotates and line will come off but just not as fast as they'd wanted it to.
I think the bait runner drag system is designed for dead sticking or boat use IMHO.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
I think the bait runner drag system is designed for dead sticking or boat use IMHO.
Yup. They are also good to snag pogies and let them swim. The pogies are big enough to pull the drag off pretty smoothly.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post
It seems like you were throwing a dig out there.....I don't understand why you'd do this since this thread was about conventional VS spinning reels.

I know of some people who have bait runners 4500,5500 & 6500 they have attempted to drift chunks and eels with the "Bait runner" rear drag in affect but it has too much resistance,as you know the whole spool rotates and line will come off but just not as fast as they'd wanted it to.
No dig man....you think to much.

I am aware of the regular use of the bait runner. It just seemed reasonable that you could almost get the same kind of drift using one in that fashion....its not going to be as efficient as a conventional but I figured it would work better than having the bail open on a regular spinning reel.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 PM

No he's right, there's too much resistance. I've tried it and didn't like it much, not even in the ballpark compared to a nice smooth conventional.
Can you do it? Yes, but constantly having to pull line by hand off the spool, and doing it so the eel drifts naturally is tough.

The Baitrunner does kick butt for snag n dropping bunker
Old 07-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Banned

Its an interesting technique I didn't know guys did, definitely good to know. I had thought sweeping the eel's through the current was the trick but its only worked for me when the tides are crappy or the bass are really active.....
Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Striper Hunter

Hands down Penn 525 mag. I can plug and throw heavy sinkers with bait in the surf. Use it for blackfish,fluke or anything boat or surf I even troll with it. Can not beat the price about $130. Better than my 975 and my Squider. Don't get me wrong I love my Penn Greeny's and Van Staal too