Braided line question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 08-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Braided line question

I recently put some braided line on a few of my rods to try it out. (I have never been advanced enough to even think to use anything but mono) I seem to get a really good feel for the bottom and bites with the stuff. My problem is in the knots. I'm not very good with knots. Improved clinch & snelling hooks that about as good as It gets. I'm losing tackle because I think the knot is failing. I found all kinds of info on knots for braided line but was hoping for some first hand knowledge on what works best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO
Default Re: Bradied line question

This is from the site.
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=1810

But from my line, braid/Fireline, I use a palomar to attach to a swivel.
It has worked for me for years.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you wanna stay away from a clinch type knot as it will slip. tie an albright for line to leader. as you should have a shock leader for the sake of your rod tip as if you get a large fish the braid (could) put a groove in the sucker when you get all the weight of the fish close at hand. however, a palomar is best it you are attaching straight to plug/metal/swivel etc/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Striper Hunter

This site never ceases to amaze me thanks a lots guys that was A BIG HELP and doesn't look to difficlut I'll try it out
Old 08-22-2008, 06:53 PM
First Mate

I use the palomar with braid as well, though I learned to take a second pass through the eye before doing the overhand knot.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Striper Envy

I use this site alot!!

http://www.animatedknots.com/uniknot...47.jpg&Website
Old 08-23-2008, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Braided line question

For braid to swivel or braid to just about anything -- The palomar. hands down.
For mono to braid the alberto (modified allbright)
or the Slim beauty I like the way it has held up for me.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

a double uni is of course the way to go (if you tie it right) i think it may be stronger than the palomar but that's just my opinion, the palomar is just as easy to negotiate in the dark

Old 08-29-2008, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve/NH View Post

Thanks! I am sure I will be using site a good bit as well!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Official Member

I always use a shock leader- whether casting mono or the braids. It keeps the line from popping on the very occasional snarled cast and gives me a stronger line to muscle fish in around rocks. I set up like this:
Running line -braid or mono- to a 40# shock leader (Trilene BigGame) with an improved Albright; a small swivel to my bite leader with a Trilene knot- which is basically a clinch that I can tie in the dark because it's the first knot I ever learned. The shock leader is about 25' long- length of the rod twice and 3-5 winds around the spool. To make it cast better, I set it up ahead of time and smooth the Albright out by coating it with Zap-a-Gap, or Aquaseal if I have time. Most of the time I can get a whole night out of the shock leader whick takes the brunt of the scrapes and such. I keep extras in my bag. This is a good site too-
www.netknots.com

WOW! I had'nt seen the sites' knot page before I posted this! Excellent! All the info you could need.

Last edited by justfishin; 08-29-2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: I looked past the end of my nose
Old 08-29-2008, 12:49 PM

Just a tid bit of useless info. (Maybe useful to some of us however)
but a leader longer than 20 feet will DQ you from an IGFA record. Just so you know. I read that somewhere a long time ago and i think I searched it out for verification. 1 and a half times your rod length and 5 wraps around the spool.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

up to and including 20# is 15 feet (unless it is a double line and that will make it like 20ft. anything above 20# is 30 feet. and again the double line will be up to 40ft. the double line is the combined length of double line and leader;
Double lines are measured from the start of the knot, braid, roll or splice making the double to the farthermost end of the knot, splice, snap, swivel or other device used for securing the trace, leader, lure or hook to the double line.
freshwater all line classes are 6ft and if double 10ft.
bear in mind the length of the line includes the entire business end ie; hook(s) lure etc.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:15 PM

Just to expand upon it.
Sticky on IGFA Rules

From the IGFA Rulebook

LEADER
The use of a leader is not required. If one is used, it must meet the following specifications:
The length of the leader is the overall length including any lure, hook arrangement or other device. The leader must be connected to the line with a snap, knot, splice, swivel or other device. Holding devices are prohibited. There are no regulations regarding the material
or strength of the leader.

Saltwater species:
In all line classes up to and including 20 lb (10 kg), the leader shall be limited to 15 feet (4.57 meters). The combined length of the double line and leader shall not exceed 20 feet (6.1 meters).

The leader on all classes of tackle over 20 lb (10 kg) shall be limited to 30 feet (9.14 meters). The combined length of the double line and leader shall be limited to 40 feet (12.19 meters).

Freshwater species:

The leader on all classes of tackle shall be limited to 6 feet (1.82 meters). The combined length of the double line and leader shall not exceed 10 feet (3.04 meters).