Lubing my reel - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 06-10-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Lubing my reel

Well I took my Penn 6500SS out of its hibernation for the winter and noticed that it was a little slow. I put some oil on the gears but when i got it it had some sort of thicker like axle grease stuff. Just wondering where to get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Jigologist

it's reel grease.. you can get it locally at tackle shops... gun grease works well too..
Old 06-13-2005, 04:09 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I like super lube,it contains teflon,it comes in spray and tube grease form,I use it on the reel seats to keep them from corroding as wel as lubricating all the reels.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Striper Hunter

How often should I be greasing or oiling my reels? I make sure I rinse everything with freshwater when I get back home after a day of fishing but ... the greasing thing is something I dont know when I need to do.

-Lou
Old 06-22-2005, 02:48 AM

What color was the lube? If it was black it might be good old axle grease (way too stiff for my taste) if it had a blueish tint it was likely marine lube, good in the warm weather but too stiff in the cold.

If you don't dunk the reel packing it is not required, just a good heavy bead of lube (I like the blue Daiwa lube) on the teeth of the gears, the oscillating guide on top of the drive gear and between the drive gear and the side plate - lightly oil the rest of the moving parts particularly the bearings (3 in 1 is fine). Open it up to check once a month, more if you fish hard or dunk it.

If you do dunk the reel, for warm weather, oil the bearings and stuff it with marine lube (available at Boaters World) till it squeezes out when you put the side plate on. A trick I picked up from one of the west coast guys on another site is vasaline in the cold weather when marine lube will be too stiff. Not good in hot weather as it tends to melt and ooze out all over your truck (don't ask how I learned that :roll: )
Old 06-22-2005, 02:55 AM

Duh, I just realized I read your post wrong - your reel wasn't packed. If it's the first time you cracked it open since you bought it, it was the grease that was applied at the factory. You have to grease the gears - oil by itself isn't enough.

WARNING - there have been a number of reports of new imported Penns showing up with no grease or oil in them at all. If you buy a new Penn spinning reel, open it up and have a look before you go out.