Spinning VS Casting Reels - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 06-27-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Spinning VS Casting Reels

When would it benefit you the most to use a spinning reel and when would you use the casting reel? :huh:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2005, 07:45 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I use spinning reels for casting, I use conventionals(even if they do casr well) for trolling,the thought process beitng,that anyone can grab the conventional if it hooks up, I'm left handed,so my spinners are set up for me,most people who fish with me are right handed...it's just make s sense for me to fish this way...

As an aside as I have stated before,I set all my drags with a spring scale,the conventionals are lever drags,people cant monkey with them,I've seen too many people loose fish because they panicked when a big fish went on a on a long run and tightend the drag on a spinner..... not good!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:16 AM

Rock, I too like spinning reels for still fishing. I find the only problem is wehn you get a runner, if IM doing somthing, I cant hear the reel go off.
My Okumas and Aubu G's are loud. I do agree with you on the drag, I lost two Salmon the same way, I just coulnt leave it alone. Had to play with it. IM much more disiplined now.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Lunker

i use both but prefer bait casting reels i feel like i have much more control over large fish with a baitcaster but they can be a pain in the a$$ an night if you get a loop and cast you can be out of luck with that poll for a while i allways have 2 rigged and ready and i use level winder i'm not good enough to lay line buy hand at night
Old 06-27-2005, 02:57 PM

That is exactly my problem with casting reels Goz. Maybe it's just my cheap shimano reel but I tend to get backlash like crazy. It's also made for sweetwater fishing so the only time I use it is when I go for LB. I might just get one of those Penn reels for the stripers.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:57 PM

^^^^

The 309's they are perfect for striper trolling for the medium to largest fish. I use them all the time, and have 4 that are 30+ years old, get them reworked and cleaned every 5 years, and work like a charm, plenty load enough too. They also have a great price at around 80 bucks. With an adequate Daiwa the setup is 160, and a Penn Senator (my favorite) 170.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:41 AM
Lunker

1337 PRACTICE IT TOOK ME MORE THAN A FEW YEAR TO GET GOOD WITH A BAITCASTER AND I STARTED OFF LMBASS FISHING WITH THEM AND THEN MOVE ON TO STRIPERS WITH MANY MANY BACKLASHES IN BETWEEN