Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Rhode Island Trip, Total Newbie.

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SoleSearcher 
#1 ·
Hello Striper dudes.
Here is my story, I live in Elk River, MN and I am 19. I have fished since I could hold a rod in the big-old mississippi. I took at trip to rhode island last year to visit my sister and brang along my gear. I fell into a whole new world of fishing. I've fished deep sea charater style before, but no surf fishing, and here i am sitting in my single person canoe with a medium-lite action St. Criox Rod Legend, and Shimano Stradic 1000 with about 8 lbs test. Fishing worms off the bottom in some bay, but then fish (small/ big) start jumping every where and I'm pissing my pants to get on a lure, so i throw a leader and a soft bait on and hook into what I was told was a blue. I lost my first three, and finally after lots of play i get the fourth on 8 lbs test. I fell in love with saltwater.
So here i am planning my next trip this year, I have already purchased a Diawa Eliminator 8'. I am hopping to catch some strippers and blues, but this fishing really isnt my game.
If anyone could name some good lures, techniques, reels, and what and where to fish it would be immensly appreiciated (i'd like to be a little bit more prepared this time). I leave June 5 to the 12, and I am willing to travel all of RI(not that its that big), but unfortunettly I cant bring my boat.

Thanks a lot!!
Blake

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there! First of all, WELCOME!!! I'm in Fall River, MA, which is right across the RI line and have shore fished the Tiverton, RI area a little this spring, but primarily the south coast of Mass. The season here has been a little slow getting started due in part to the crappy weather we've been having and the water being a bit slow to warm up. By the time you get here we hope things should be heating up pretty well. This is my first season fishing here, and it's been pretty slow for me so far, but I'll happily pass on what I've learned.

Many guys around here have very good luck fishing for stripers with fishfinder bottom rigs, 3 to 5 oz bank sinker, about a 4-5 foot leader, and a 6/0 or 7/0 hook, using sea clams or chunks of herring/bunker/mackeral, etc. for bait. Live eels are also popular bait. Depending on the conditions Storm Wild Eye shad have been producing well, along with top water poppers. Make sure your lures are designed for saltwater or the hooks will rust pretty quick. For stripers, many around here will spool their reels with approx. 30 pound test braided line and use a heavier clear mono or flourocarbon leader. Most places you'll want to avoid fishing at low tide, but a couple hours before high tide to a couple hours after should produce pretty well, but that all depends on where exactly you are fishing. Some places you'll do OK at low tide.

For Blues you'll want to make sure that you use a wire leader as they tend to chew right through monofilament. I hear that surface lures work well, along with relatively shallow running lures/jigs. Watch for the gulls congregating looking for leftovers, telltale of a feeding frenzy. They say that many times larger Stripers will hang out under a school of Blues to catch the scraps, so if you encounter this, you could try a deeper running lure/jig to get underneath the feeding Blues. Stripers can tend to be shy of wire leaders, so it's pretty much one or the other.

There are several guys on here who have fished the RI shoreline extensively and could probably, more accurately point you in a good direction to find some action. I'm sure they'll pipe up soon.

Welcome aboard and good luck!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.