Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Cast net main river?

7K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  jr.deerslayer 
#1 ·
Has any one ever used a cast net in the main river? Because we're unable to net the creeks now, would it be possible to locate a big school of herring from the boat and net them from it? I caught the first striper last year April 11 and getting bait to hit the rigs was next to impossible for me.

#2 ·
Bait is always tough to jig early season. Last year was a very early start due to very warm temps, they will just be showing up around 2nd week of April ... so unless a serious warm up in March, i would not rush it.

Yeah, NO nets of any kind in the streams, going to be tough with a cast net, but i have had good success with a Stooie/dip (or scap net) in the main river. Better option than cast net IMO

#3 ·
Ill second what brain said, Cast net "was" my primary means of (very quickly) filling the livewell when we could do it in the creeks.
Throwing it in the main river is tough with the debris/rocks/currents. I have had success during slack tide but it is marginal, that said i do keep the net on board at all times and if we see some boiling i motor over to them, the trick is to make sure you kill the motor up drift a good distance from them and drift into the boil so not to spook them. Most times youll only get one throw so make it a good one.

Gonna be a new challenge scapping them in the main river this year but Ive got a few spots in mind.

Brian i still owe you a stoolie! thumbsup.gif

#4 ·
Gonna be a new challenge scapping them in the main river this year but Ive got a few spots in mind.

Brian i still owe you a stoolie! thumbsup.gif
Not a big deal man, there are a few spots along the way that i use all the time in the main river. When the season gets here we'll chat icon_wink.gif

#5 ·
Down where i fish, we catch herring from shore. Either throw out a spinner bait of other lures, and the herring follow it to about a foot of water. We get a good amount of herring, but we only catch 1-2 at a time, so it takes effort.

But since stripers are hit and miss, can go hours or days without a bite, fishing for herring is a fun replacement

Are there any places that sell Scap Nets?

#9 ·
You could always buy a gill net. its my last resort but its always got me bait even on the dead days. you have to get a permit for it. very cheap. $0.05 per foot

#13 ·
Yup the majority of us do use them especially once the herring are abundant. Typically in the main river, they have a tendency to snag everything if you use them in real shallow water. And tributary's are off limits to everyone so at the mouth of a tributary in the main river will get you close to a lot of herring.

#16 ·
You CAN use sabiki rigs in the tributarys. Any hook up method. Just no netting.
I stand corrected..

Establishing a recreational open season and a daily creel limit.
Permitting angling only (e.g. no nets) in the tributaries and embayments.
Reducing the size of allowable nets in the Hudson River proper.
Requiring charter boats to register with the DEC to be eligible for a special boat creel limit.

Has anyone jigged for them in the tributaries?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.