Berkeley Fireline Tracer braid - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Berkeley Fireline Tracer braid

I need to re-spool my reel and the shop I usually go to is out of the Berkeley Fireline Stealth braid that I usually use.

However, they have this tracer braid which they say is essentially the same thing just with different colors every 5 meters to identify the length.

Just wondering if any one here has any experience with this "tracer" braid?
I am using a spinning set up so I want to make sure this is appropriate. They said it would be but I just did not know myself and wanted to be sure

Thanks
DR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Banned

Default Re: Berkeley Fireline Tracer braid

Haven't used it. Been using PP for years and will continue to do so until I think it sucks!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Tracer line.
Marked lines are usually used by boat guys, bottom fishing and trolling when they need to know how much line is out.

What kind of reel are you spooling, spinning or conventional?
I love Stealth on conventional, not so much on spinning.
If it's spinning there are lots of good choices out there (PP not being one of them, I hate that stuff - too many mystery breakoffs) Suffix is one of the more popular lines, I also like Stren Superbraid and if you don't mind spending the big bucks, Daiwa Samurai is great stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 11:35 PM

Oops, I should read before I post.

Spinning

So long as it's a modern braid friendly reel, like I said, there are lots of options
If it's an older reel like a Penn Spinfisher then Fireline is by far the best choice. 20# test being the most used off the beach.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Striper Hunter

The reel is a Shimano Stella 5000sw. It had PP on it which was crap. I replaced it with the Stealth and it has been great. I've only lost line length due to getting caught on structure. I was concerned with the Tracer as it does seem more suited for trolling purposes. I am a believer to use what has been working...so why switch? Thanks for the help guys

DR
Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 AM

I have two friends with Stellas, both use Suffix, one 50# the other 30#
Old 08-13-2009, 02:19 PM
NukinFuts

I bought some 20lb Tracer braid this past spring. I think the stuff is pretty good. I generally use Suffix or PP, but decided to try a spool of this stuff out. I use it on my 804 Cardinal spinner, and I have caught a fair amount of fish on it. I'd use it again without any problems.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 PM
First Mate

Why all the hate for PP. I have it right now and have not had any problems. I have only used a few times on decent fish but have only had it out 1 time for stripers. Between a few stripers, a 42" musky and several wallaye and LM/SM bass it has worked flawlessly. When I got it I was in the market for Fireline original or Braid but the Outdoor Store did not have it. Maybe I should have taken the Suffix they had. I have used the Fireline orig for as long as it had been out and I hear the Braid is just as good.
Do you recommend I change out of the PP? I have it on conv. ABU right now. I will be getting some Fireline very soon and I can just grab a few 300 yarders or even the 1100 yard. I can get a discount on the 300yard spools. I do want to stay with the original as one of the other reels is a Penn 704z and I think the Fireline orig may be better than braid in that case. I have read that the tracer braid is the same line as the braid as said above except for the markings/color. Do you think with the new Fireline Braid would be ok on the Penn 704z being that it is round? Stay away from the Fireline Crystal though, I hear it is crap.

I have been thinking of changing the line on the ABU anyway as I'm short ?? yards(maybe 20 to 50) One loss of line was on the Hudson hooked onto a decent and crafty striper. It first tried to break me off on some bridge supports then made a bee line over towards a tug/barge heading down river. We were in hot pursuit but I believe the striper broke me off on something on the barge or on the edge of drop off for the channel. It took about 4.5' of fluoro, swivel, plug and umpteen (??) yards of line.

Doublerunner Quote"I need to re-spool my reel and the shop I usually go to is out of the Berkeley Fireline Stealth braid that I usually use."

I thought the Stealth was Spiderwire and not Fireline?