Cape Cod Canal - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Cape Cod Canal

I've been on this site for years, i just havent check in...in about a year or so ago...

My dad sold his boat..
And now im stuck to shore...

I live near the canal....And love to fish for stripers....and want to in the canal this spring can anyone give me the

What,where when and how to fish the canal. I know my way around it and such but i just dont know how to fish it, when to fish it and what kind of weight i need when i fish bait.

Also what kind of lure...

When can i start fishing the canal?

Any help would be greatly appricated...

Thanks,

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Cape Cod Canal

Hi Adam,
I've never fished the canal myself, so I can't really help you much, other than to suggest that you do some seaches on the forum for "Cape Cod Canal" or "the ditch". There's been alot already written about what you're asking and I'm sure some searches like that would be good reading.
Another suggestion would be to pose your question in the New England forum, where it may get seen by more people in our area.
Good luck this year!!
Jacob
Old 04-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Jigologist

I've fished the ditch a few times but only with jigs... 4-6oz.. 30-50lb braid 4-5oz 10ft fast action rod and nautil reel.. also a must is either corkers or felt bottomed waders.. VERY SLIPPERY ROCKS!! ... bait fishing I've seen is mostly done at the bottom and top of the tide as the current slows enough to drift it right... other then that you need heavy gear, a long cast, and know how to get to the bottom fast.. when you hang a good one in the current, make sure your feet are planted pay attention to the guys you see catching.. watch and learn.. if I lived closr I'd have a bike setup to cover some ground.. the "herring run" can be very good when the bait is there... last year there wasn't any when I was there.. still caught plenty of fish but had to work for 'em..

good luck.. it's an awesome place to fish.. especially if your into jigging..
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 04:34 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

there are lots of places along the canal to fish. take a day to scope it out. a bike ride along the canal service road on both sides would definetley help. you could launch your bike from across the herring run motel, big public parking area right there. once you find a few good looking areas...find a close by place to park, or rig the bike up to haul your gear. jigmans advise is dead on, heavy gear...be prepared to snag a lot if you fish bottom, very frustrating untill you put in some time and figure out how to not lose tons of tackle. i have been to the canal so many times, and lost so much friggin tackle in that ditch...i cant stress that enough, expect to lose some tackle, have confidence in what your doing and make the best of every trip and it shouldnt get the best of you.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:20 PM
First Mate

Excellent points all.

Get a bike. A girls Mountain bike is my preference. Basket and PVC pipes, to hold gear and rods. Girls bike, cuz once it's weighted down, you gotta get you feet to same side pretty quick.

If fishing the bottom. Grab a tide chart from the Corp of Engineers. They list the slack tides in there. The Slack is when the tide turns, and the water slows or stops. I generally fish an hour either side of that, if fishing the bottom.

Big rod with 30# test. Not being vague. Just a million options. I use 8 oz of weight. a fish finder, and steel leader,( any where from 10 bto 18 inches) w/ 8/0 octopus hooks. You will want to make your own leaders. You will be losing a lot of them if fishing the bottom.

I throw 1/2 a tinker, or a big chunk of larger Mackeral. I like the heads cuz they stay on the hook too.

Cruise the canal on bike. With gear you may find folks open up more, oddly enough.

Many of the holes are listed on a map you may find via Google, or at some tackle shops, some of the time.

In Summary. Bike, Slack tide, make some leaders. Put in some time. It will pay off.

Good Luck.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Fishy"
I've been on this site for years, i just havent check in...in about a year or so ago...
My dad sold his boat..
Adam I found your Picks archived from the old board.
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/ga...ndex.php?n=408