New to surf fishing. I need some help please! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Official Member

Default New to surf fishing. I need some help please!

Hello my name is Fuzzy,

I hope you are having a nice day. I am new to surf fishing. I plan on going surf fishing in New Jersey this summer to be more specific Island Beach State Park.

I plan on buy this:
Amazon.com: Shakespeare Medium Action Ugly Stik Bigwater Combo, 10-Feet:... Amazon.com: Shakespeare Medium Action Ugly Stik Bigwater Combo, 10-Feet:...
I plan on strictly fishing on the beach. I want to just cast my line and set my rod on a sand spike. I do not want to be jigging or anything. So my five questions are:

1. Is a 10 foot rod appropriate for surf fishing?

2. Is a medium, heavy action rod an ideal action for a surf fishing rod?

3. What lb and kind of line do I need for a 10 foot, medium heavy action rod? And how does one go about matching the proper lb test line to match their rod?

5. What should the rod be rated?

4. Any other things I should know about surf fishing?

Thank you and happy fishing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 04:48 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO
Default Re: New to surf fishing. I need some help please!

Hi, and welcome

I would get a reel with a baitrunner feature, if your gonna do the bait and wait thing. Shimano, Penn and Okuma make them. Ugly Stick surf rods are decent. You want one that will throw a sinker up to six ozs, and bait comfortably.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Z View Post
Hi, and welcome

I would get a reel with a baitrunner feature, if your gonna do the bait and wait thing. Shimano, Penn and Okuma make them. Ugly Stick surf rods are decent. You want one that will throw a sinker up to six ozs, and bait comfortably.
Would this be okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey Fuzzy,

JimmyZ makes a good point! The Okuma is least expensive but the others will last you for many years. The stripers are the sort to pick up the bait and run with it, rather than swallowing it right off the bat. The "baitrunner" feature kinda sets the spinning reel on "free spool"...after the fish runs with the bait you turn the handle and the reel kicks into gear at your regular drag setting. Really good feature for striper fishing, and using circle hooks with bait.

I'd spool it up with 20-25 lb test line and put a 15-20 foot shock leader of 50 lb test on it to absorb the impact of casting heavy weight and bait--otherwise you'll be snapping off your rigs while casting.

You'll be fishing in a great region--do some digging on the site for information about surf fishing, reading the beach--what to look for...you'll find folks a lot more approachable and willing to share information on the sand.

Have an AWESOME summer and fall! Catch a big one!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:21 AM
Official Member

In response to Your last question. Be ready to get HOOKED,on surf fishing that is! I did. I used to just go to the beach because My wife like it. Now, I can't wait to go. I think the best part is not knowing what is going to hit your bait. Is it a 10 inch Bluefish or a 20 pound striper?
Old 06-09-2013, 05:42 AM
First Mate

Ha, wait till you pull in your first shark.....