Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Hi everyone - long time freshwater fisherman, new to saltwater

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JakeF 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

My name is Fred, and I'm based out of Staten Island, NY. I've been a freshwater angler for some time (primarily LMB - and bluegills, when I'm feeling lazy). The hot weather and the mosquito spraying have chased the fish, further and deeper than I can reach from shore, so I've decided to start dabbling in saltwater.

As with freshwater, I'm also a surfcaster when it comes to salt. Primarily beaches, but occasionally, I'll hit the piers when I want to get some snapper blues for live bait.

Currently, my only saltwater gear is a 9' Shakespeare Alpha BigWater, and a second 9' that I cobbled together. The pole is an R2F (same specs as the Alpha, but much lighter and more flexible). The reel, I found in the garage. The previous tenant left it behind, so I tore it down, de-greased, re-greased and rebuilt. It's a little ugly on the outside, but works like a champ.

I look forward to learning more about this hobby - and contributing, as knowledge permits.

Take care,
Fred

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.