Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

just a nother guy new to the site

Tags
guy nother site
2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jimmy Z 
#1 ·
Hi all just wanted to introduce myself. and say hello to all the salt water anglers out there. .. let me start with. i am a die hard fresh water angler w/ a 15 ft procraft fiberglass 90 hp merc. last year was my 1st time trying my luck at striper fishing. it was aprox. middle april . i sat on the jetty at skussett beach for 4-5 hrs as she crabs fattened up on my mackerel w/o so much as a nibble.. on my last cast and Oki last
good sized chunk i threw it out.while thinking this was a wast of time..
my bait hit the water and before i could change hands on the rod so i could clime back up the jetty. my reel started singing. i tightened the drag and set the hook. and was completely surprised with the fight. I had on my hands. it turned out to be a 32 incn 13lb striper. at that time i thought i hooked him. i know now he hooked me. that led to p pretty gd. year. going from hulls gut to the canna i prob ended uo p with 12-15 keepers last year. but none that beet my 1st 32. Inch.This year i would like to put some science and. Into picking the days i go fishing. so im not sitting for 12 + hrs w/o a thin to show for it but tall grass in the.Yard . well tnks 4 letting me share my 1st striper sorry with you all
jimmy g. aka basshunter62

#2 ·
Welcome aboard Jimmy, and welcome to the addiction:icon_thumright: . I've spent my share of nights on the Scussett jetty myself, and the current of the canal always makes the fish feel bigger than it really is, which is fun.

If you're fishing the canal pay attention to the time of the tidal changes and the direction of the current, especially in the spring. As the tide is going out (current running toward Buzzards Bay), the bait fish and bass that are working their way north will stage at the west entrance waiting for the tide to change so they can ride it through. When the tide turns and the current starts moving east you'll often see a good pod of fish push through. Fishing the canal is an animal all to itself and the guys who have the most consistent success there have spent years paying their dues to figure it out.

Best of luck out there, and if you see a red Nissan Titan crew cab with a rod rack on the roof and a big Ron Paul magnet on the tailgate, feel free to stop by and say hi. :icon_wekke:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.