Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Storm fishin?

Tags
fishin storm
4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  stryper nubcake 22 
#1 ·
So this storm headed for us this weekend, supposedly remnants of a tropical storm, what's it going to do for the fishing? good thing? bad thing? Should I go out still (rhetorical, going anyway)? Are you goin out?

#2 ·
I'm sure I'll be going out MB, tomorrow night/early Sunday morning. Trying to think what spots would provide quick shelter if need be, narrowed it down to a couple. Come to think of it theres a spot @ the Scarborough Marsh I could drive right up to and sit in my car..........if the weather gets bad enough, not a bad idea to have quick cover and wait for it to pass!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will

#6 ·
All this talk about the big'uns has me thinking of going to my spot rain or shine this weekend........tropical storm be damned. Bait fish a plenty are all over the place and holding more bass than Ive seen all season. Saw a few good sized fish the other night "patroling" the area, back and forth, over and over again. They've been extremely picky, a little nibblin, LOTS of chasing, very little striking. I've thrown clams, live eels and various plug/jigs/sluggo's and also seen mackerel, sandworms etc being used.....very few of which have landed fish. Oddly enough I only got one hit with live eels (last night, sloooooooowwwwwwwwww retrieve) but a handful the other night on 9" black/grey sluggo's. Some dirty bluefish stole my black bomber.....*heavy sigh* guess I'll just have to go to Cabela's and grab another one, what a shame, whoa is me!!!! These past few nights have definitely been more of a hunt than I'm used to, but it's been a blast even though I've yet to officially land one down there. Seeing all those fish bobbing and weaving, stickin n' movin, it's bound to happen....and if nothing else it's kept me coming back night after night!!! Good luck guys/gals, can't wait to see the first 50" Fall Classic picture :10187:

StriperHyper ~ Will

#7 · (Edited)
I am heading to Glosta tonight so I hope there is something to this storm fishing theory. I FF only, so I probably will hook my ear at least once with the wind. I have not fished since July 4th ( horse racing season where I live) so if anyone had any vague updates about which side of Cape Ann is hottest I would love a PM. I don't spot burn.

#8 ·
I hope this tune puts you in a good mood this mornin. :yay:
Bad Moon Rising

Stripies love the suds. Oxygenated, fast moving frothy stuff. Set up near a sand bar or an inlet jetty with the wind blowing at you. Honkin around 15 to 20 knots. Oh yes!!.
Bottles and metal will cut through the wind. If your out bait fishing, look for a leeward spot or around the rocks where clams get busted open.
Too windy and its not much fun.
MB said:
what's it going to do for the fishing? good thing? bad thing?
To answer the question a little bit more. A storm can ruin the fishing for days afterwards. The fish may hunker until it passes. The water is roiled with a curtain of sand and grass and your favorite bar could be a flat nothing.
As the storm approaches and when it clears is a good time to be out surf fishing.

#11 ·
Actually, the lack of the "storm" sorta bummed me out.
Had a crew together to raid the beach for the washed ashore sea clams that didn't materialize. :einstein:
Now I'm still out of bait and "stuffie" fixins. :hmh:
I'm sure there will be one before long though. After all we do live in New England. :Thu-2:

#12 ·
I timed it perfectly
Conditions were perfect
Tide was perfect
Whitewater breaking over a bar into current sweeping out of a marsh
Loads of bait. From bay anchovy to 3" peanuts to small mullet, 5" snappers chasing it everywhere

Not a ^%#$ bite - made no sense at all, two days later and I'm still scratching my head over why they weren't there.

#15 ·
Thanks Will. I agree there aren't really "wrong" tides, I just wasn't in the right places at the right times. I was trying to fit in family stuff and couldn't wait things out properly on the water. My spots around Glosta usually go like clock work, but this trip I kept moving too soon or to late. I should have been out in the driving rain between ten pm and 1 am, but I just wasn't feeling it. It just had a skunk smell to it on Sat at least where I was. The mind can definitely hurt my fishing.

#16 ·
I hear that Pata. I went down the shore with a buddy Fri night, spent alot of time just fartin around the truck, settin his pole up and waders and stuff. By the time we started to fish I was tired, then it started to rain. Now I'm no fairweather fisherman but that night I was. Even though I was waterproof, after being sick a week or so ago and working all day I just wasnt into it, we took off when we should have been hittin it hard, in the downpour. Fri and Sat are usually my nights, just dunno what it was. I woke up with the itch but after it raining all day on sat, that night I just stayed home, probably a mistake. Hoping to make up for last weekend this weekend though!

#17 ·
there seems to be a recurring theme to this thread. No one is catchin a damn thing lol. I went out last night after the rain storm or kinda during and my buddie caught 2 blues, my friend caught 1 blue, 1 retarded mutant schoolie, and i caught possibly the smallest striped bass in new england. it just aint producing round here

:10186:

#18 ·
hey 'nubcake, that spot I turned ya onto not producing any fish either? There were soooo many in/around that day I was there we all but had our pick, and given the underwater terrain my guess would be it's holding fish more often than not (then again, what the hell do I know :dizzy:). Give live eels @ night a try if ya can, ESPECIALLY off that beach!!!! Like I said before, there's a LOT of underwater vegetation off that beach so don't bother with the sand spike......toss 'em out, let 'em sink and reel 'em in slooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly!!!! Its been sporadic here too, better than earlier in the season though and I know the fish are around. This time of year it's all about the hunt, a game of chess if you will, and the only way you'll lose is if ya give up!!! Good luck man, hope ya get into 'em soon. :10187:

StriperHyper ~ Will

#19 ·
Well I will break the not catching theme in this thread because yesterday and last night were insane...around Boston, fished both outgoing tides and did well, granted there was a lack of really large fish but the numbers were there! Gave the stella I just bought a good work out!

#20 ·
i hear ya will. Actually that spot i was referring to in the last post was out on chapin beach, and we were using sand eels and worms. we caught fish just not the cow ive been hoping for. The other spot where i used the worm rig u turned me on to always has fish, ive been using those, bucktails and swim shads to great effect, and the fish have been gradually been getting bigger. i feel like im catching the same fish over and over again and watching them as they grow lol. Not to worry i can feel myself getting closer to that biggin that takes me for a ride. I just gotta stay patient and presistant. Cheers

:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.