Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Welcome To All The New Guys!!!

Tags
guys
117K views 211 replies 126 participants last post by  bitten 
#1 ·
I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all our visitors and registrants with my favorite striper fishing song from Billy Joel
DownEaster Alexa click here

Tight Lines to all!!!

The Downeaster 'Alexa'
Storm Front Released: 1989
Well I'm on the Downeaster Alexa
And I'm cruising through Block Island Sound
I have charted a course to the Vineyard
But tonight I am Nantucket bound

We took on diesel back in Montauk yesterday
And left this morning from the bell in Gardiner's Bay
Like all the locals here I've had to sell my home
Too proud to leave I worked my fingers to the bone

So I could own my Downeaster Alexa
And I go where the ocean is deep
There are giants out there in the canyons
And a good captain can't fall asleep

I've got bills to pay and children who need clothes
I know there's fish out there but where God only knows
They say these waters aren't what they used to be
But I've got people back on land who count on me

So if you see my Downeaster Alexa
And if you work with the rod and the reel
Tell my wife I am trolling Atlantis
And I still have my hands on the wheel

Now I drive my Downeaster Alexa
More and more miles from shore every year
Since they tell me I can't sell no stripers
And there's no luck in swordfishing here

I was a bayman like my father was before
Can't make a living as a bayman anymore
There ain't much future for a man who works the sea
But there ain't no island left for islanders like me

See less See more
#186 ·
Hi,

I live west of Fort Lauderdale, FL since 1981. We have a fabulous peacock bass fishery, and I have a jon boat on a small lake where I go with my wife and catch between 15 an 40 peacocks and regular bass in two hours of shiner fishing! I fish Stuart for snook and tarpon, have fished every canal in Broward county for the past 25 years, and go all over the state for redfish, trout, etc. I also have gone to countless states and many countries fishing which my wife allows as part of our vacations!

I lived on Cape Cod in the 70's and am a really good striper bass fisherman with surface lures. my best friend still lives there and i go up in June and october (to fish the Martha's Vineyard Bass and Bluefish derby. We fish the Elizabeth Islands and know every tide and rock from Woods Hole to Cuttyhunk. Too many stories to tell!

I'nm always looking to hook up with fisherman to fish anywhere. My advantage is that I can offer fishing by me for a "fishing by you" trip!

I like the idea of this kind of site, but have found that not too many people want to share what they have!

Anyone that wants to talk to me with questions or information is welcome.

I'm 71, but am in great physical shape and can fish anywhere.

I have a Van Stall VSB 150G that I have used to fish the surf down here and have fished it off Barnstable Harbor on the North Shore of Cape Cod. Good reel but I love my Ocuma Baitrunners for a good deal of my fishing.

I've probably talked too much, so I'll just send the message!

#188 ·
Hi all,..
My name is Mark and I live on the central CT shoreline. I've been striper fishing for 6 or 7 years,..almost always from my kayak and I'm one of those "artificials only" kind of guys! :8450:

ps: you guys have one of the best smiley selections of any site I've seen! :icon_salute2:

#193 ·
Hello everyone looking forward to learning more about striper fishing. I am located as far north as the stripers migrate on the hudson river which is troy new york. The river is shallow and narrow up here, and we have about a 2 month window for fishing. Been fishing the fast wate the past few yearsr with crank bate. 7 inch rattling bombers,
~johnjohn39

#199 ·
Hello all.
My name is Johnny, I hail from the North Shore, North Fork of eastern Long Island, Noo Yawk.
I found this forum recently, as I have gotten back to my love of all things fishing after a 12 year or so absence. I broke my back on the job, and everything physical I used to do went bye bye.
I have been surfcasting for the past two months or so, getting used to using those muscles required to cast. It's been a slow progression but even if I can only be casting for 15 minutes, it is an amazing feeling to be fishing again.
When I was a kid, I used to fish with my cousins every day in the summer from their, maybe, 14 foot wooden skiff, with a 5 hp. Happy days those were !!! We'd pack up the shopping cart with everything we needed for the day of fishing, and walk about 3 miles to the boatyard.
Coming back to my roots, so to speak, and fishing again has been making me feel like a kid again, with all of the excitement and feelings. I am physically handicapped, but not mentally, and I will do all I can to make my body able to fish ! I'm loving it. I invested in a lighter (weighted) rod and reel combo that unquestionably has enabled me to spend more time fishing.
I went with a St. Croix Avid surf 9'6" medium/heavy power, moderate/fast action I believe, and coupled it with a Quantum Cabo 60 reel.
This is a great forum, I am thankful to those that run it and to all those that post here. I have gained much knowledge from my readings thus far on this forum, and I am looking forward to reading and learning and meeting as many as the good people on here as possible.

Happy Fishing to y'all.

Johnny

#204 ·
ets begin..... First off, thank you guys for the warm welcome. But you've always welcomed the new guys with open arms. Hmmmm should I tell you who i am, was? lets try this....My user name is Compton because thats where I did all my fishing.....Little Comptonih Do you know what I used for bait? come on now, you can do it. Clambellies !!! got it yet? Got Bass? Back in my day, when the site had oh i don't know, 10 members or so, we were a close knit bunch of salts, always wondering if the site would take off. then 100 members, wow!!! could it turn to 1,000 ? with ease.....now look at it, unbelievable !!! I just went on my phone and saw what guys were writing.......where was he, what happened, miss him, one of the originals, etc etc....... Thank you guys, you really know how to get to my heart. don't believe everything you hear or see. every story has its many sides, lets just leave it at that. If you haven't figured out who i am yet, well.....your probably a newer guy. Its me !!!

#205 ·
It might take me a little while to get back in the swing of things but i was down, not out. now i'm here......commence with the formalities !!! 50 lbs did it done it......now i got to aim for Rocs numbers. I have one rod and reel left....thats all i'll need for now. Ex wife sold the rest, I wanted her to, make sure they were all set. sold the boat, the chopper etc.....ok enough of that, sorry, got off track. How is everyone??? You do know this is BRIGGS right? just checkin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.