Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Welcome To All The New Guys!!!

Tags
guys
117K views 211 replies 126 participants last post by  bitten 
#1 ·
I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all our visitors and registrants with my favorite striper fishing song from Billy Joel
DownEaster Alexa click here

Tight Lines to all!!!

The Downeaster 'Alexa'
Storm Front Released: 1989
Well I'm on the Downeaster Alexa
And I'm cruising through Block Island Sound
I have charted a course to the Vineyard
But tonight I am Nantucket bound

We took on diesel back in Montauk yesterday
And left this morning from the bell in Gardiner's Bay
Like all the locals here I've had to sell my home
Too proud to leave I worked my fingers to the bone

So I could own my Downeaster Alexa
And I go where the ocean is deep
There are giants out there in the canyons
And a good captain can't fall asleep

I've got bills to pay and children who need clothes
I know there's fish out there but where God only knows
They say these waters aren't what they used to be
But I've got people back on land who count on me

So if you see my Downeaster Alexa
And if you work with the rod and the reel
Tell my wife I am trolling Atlantis
And I still have my hands on the wheel

Now I drive my Downeaster Alexa
More and more miles from shore every year
Since they tell me I can't sell no stripers
And there's no luck in swordfishing here

I was a bayman like my father was before
Can't make a living as a bayman anymore
There ain't much future for a man who works the sea
But there ain't no island left for islanders like me

See less See more
#132 ·
Since returning after 20+ years in Florida to PA a couple years ago, I am now on a quest to realize two fishing dreams. I must catch at least one striped bass and also a muskellunge while here in the mid-Atlantic! I would like to plan an outing on the Delaware River for me and a couple friends and I heard that the springtime is the best for a catch and release extravaganza of fish. We are ready to let the festivities begin. I need a couple guide recommendations (weekends only) and/or some tips on when and where to launch a boat in case we want to try to catch them from my buddy's boat. What does a day on the water cost for 4 guys fishing? I believe we are equipped with tackle. I live in the Poconos, so the trout I have been catching lately remind me of baitfish we used in Florida.

We'll try the Chesapeake or Delaware Bays later this year when we can keep and eat them. I had a taste of stripers recently, so it will be hard to release them. They are just too darned tasty for their own good!

:sign4:

#133 ·
Welcome SpruceJack -

Right about now Trenton - Philadelphia - Marcus hook area. If your in the Pocono's the drive is about 50 to 80 miles South. The Turnpike Bridge is the upper reach of the spawning area. In mid to late May they will follow the shad North and you will have a better shot above the Water Gap you can find them in July up around Lackawaxen. I would recommend Bass Chaser Charters. He's a member here with a forum. Have a look in the Delaware river sub forum for his posts. He's been into nice fish for a month already. Good luck - you'll find tiger muskies in the River too. Tough to catch.
Im in the Pocono's around Milford area. Also if you look in the delaware river forum you will see posts there in the stickies with every boat ramp or launch on both sides of the river. Also search out a decent article called big City stripers.
Good luck.
SJ

#139 ·
Moved into Crescent Beach, Niantic, CT in July last year, couple hundred steps from the sound. Too busy in the last year with home repairs remodeling and work travel, but intend to do some fishing from shore this year. Newbie to fishing, so gotta get rod, reels, jigs etc... Spent sometime on the site last night, looks like there might be one or two out there ;) that know something about it. I guess first querstion whats the best bait/equip shop in Niantic for advice?

#141 ·
Thanks for the excellent site! I'm a total newbie. One of the younger guys interested in fishin. This site will be an invaluable tool as I seek to learn about the pursuit. I'm just starting out - grew up fishing freshwater mostly bass and trout. Every summer would go down to Indian River Bay with my dad and brothers and my uncle would take us out on his boat to fish for flounder, weakfish, and seabass. Once I got a little older, we started fishin for others, like tog. Now, I rarely have a chance to get out on the ocean.

I'm headed to Acadia National Park, in early September and I plan to do some 'research' in the field - put in a little sweat and blood. What I've read here doesn't sound too promising for stripers in Maine this year, but I'm not about to give up before trying. I've been reading up and will keep doing so - thanks for all the good info! If anyone has any specific advice or any particular parts of the blog that they can point to that address fishing conditions in maine this year, please give a shout. I want to figure stuff out for myself, but I will only have 9 days or so up there so I want to maximize my time. My family's going on a camping trip there but I am willing to drive a ways if I can get to the fish. I plan to be shore and jetty fishin - but if there are any recommended trips out that way, that's another thing I'm tryin to research.

Tight lines all and thanks for this site! :icon_salute2:

:sign4:

#143 ·
Hi to all I just found your site surfing:flyfish: the net. I live in the state of wonderment Washington State that is. I live 30 miles from the Blue Pacific I also live near 6 major rivers. been building rods for over 30 years I am now retired from my rod shop. Love teaching Senior and youngsters the Craft of rod building.

Good Wraps Bob is my sign off and handle

#145 ·
Re: New Guy!!!

Hello all,

My name is David and am a 100%disabled vet and have been fishing off and on all my life. I am moving from NV to MO the 1st of September in hopes of finding a place my Wife son and I can afford to live and be able to fish. Currently i have a 14ft Gregor aluminum boat with a 15 horse Evinrude given to me by my Dad. I have made some improvement like addin an Eagle 480 Elite fish finder/GPS and decked the boat.

Currently I fish mostly Lake Mead which is over 100 miles from my house. While the Stripers seem to be getting healthier and more plentiful the trip to the lake(diesel fuel cost) and the distance are really limiting my trips there.

Lake Mead offers great fishing for two short periods of time. I am really looking forward to a longer season, more species of fish and more lakes to figure out.

Any info about Stripers or any other fishing within 100 miles of Kansas City will be greatly appreciated.:navy:

David C. L'Heureux
ET2(SW/AW) USN RET
100% Disabled Veteran

#146 ·
Welcome to the forum David, and thank you for your service to our country! :icon_salute2:

I lived in Kansas City from '95 to '04, but was on the road most of that time with my job, an as a result I never really explored the lakes around there as well as I would have liked.

Blue Springs Lake is close and holds some decent fish. Truman Lake is a bit further away but also has pretty decent fishing at times. Definitely would be worth checking out. :icon_thumright:

#147 ·
Long time sweetwater fisherman, but newbie to saltyfishing.....looking forward to reading about your adventures on the salt..

Found this site from fishing with a friend that was wearing a "Striper24/7" hat this summer.......:adore:..."Rickski"......Had a great time on his rig and we caught some nice stripers too....

I've noticed other familiar names here.....

~Willy-C~

#149 · (Edited)
Hi all! Found the site surfing for information on stripers. Nice site and alot of good info here. I am pretty new to striper fishing and where I reside here in Illinois we have a couple nice lakes that have both hybrids and pures. Sold my bass boat and picked up a Lund so I can troll for them now and looking forward to catching my first "reel burner" soon!

Thanks for all the good info. Hope I am able to contribute some in return sometime.

Tom

#155 ·
new guy.im from near albany ny,fish cape cod 10 - 12 times a year from sand & yak.started building plugs last year & have completed 24,poppers & dannys.i found this site by accident today & cant wait to explore more.im a 52 year old hillbilly still trying to figure out this computer thing !the tutorials ive seen so far are outstanding,thanks guys.read2.gif

#156 ·
New here, lots of info to sift through.
I only recently got interested in surf fishing, and being from east central Pa, chances to go are limited. Naturally, most of my questions concern best times of year to try. Though I agree any time is better than not trying at all, and always better than a good day at work:frustrated:, any info regarding general times of the year is appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.