Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Welcome To All The New Guys!!!

Tags
guys
117K views 211 replies 126 participants last post by  bitten 
#1 ·
I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all our visitors and registrants with my favorite striper fishing song from Billy Joel
DownEaster Alexa click here

Tight Lines to all!!!

The Downeaster 'Alexa'
Storm Front Released: 1989
Well I'm on the Downeaster Alexa
And I'm cruising through Block Island Sound
I have charted a course to the Vineyard
But tonight I am Nantucket bound

We took on diesel back in Montauk yesterday
And left this morning from the bell in Gardiner's Bay
Like all the locals here I've had to sell my home
Too proud to leave I worked my fingers to the bone

So I could own my Downeaster Alexa
And I go where the ocean is deep
There are giants out there in the canyons
And a good captain can't fall asleep

I've got bills to pay and children who need clothes
I know there's fish out there but where God only knows
They say these waters aren't what they used to be
But I've got people back on land who count on me

So if you see my Downeaster Alexa
And if you work with the rod and the reel
Tell my wife I am trolling Atlantis
And I still have my hands on the wheel

Now I drive my Downeaster Alexa
More and more miles from shore every year
Since they tell me I can't sell no stripers
And there's no luck in swordfishing here

I was a bayman like my father was before
Can't make a living as a bayman anymore
There ain't much future for a man who works the sea
But there ain't no island left for islanders like me

See less See more
#106 ·
hello everyone,love fishing for striper's in the Hudson troy area federal dam.did not do so good last year but i did get some good tips off your articles. can not wait for first week in may, 2010 i fish from a boat and use live herring and also chunk herring looking for tips, how deep, what time in the morning,tide going in or tide going out.should i anchor and fish bridge abutment? cant wait to here some tips thanks.

#107 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the board and striper fishing. So I have alot to learn. I live in up state NY about 1 1/2 hours from the Hudson river. I plan to fish the Hudson river launching in either Catskill or Henry Hudson Park in Ravena. I have a Crestliner 1600 SC with 50hp merc, Humminbird 917c fishfinder/gps, cannon manual downrigger. Look forward to learning and getting alot of tips for a beginner. Thanks.

#112 ·
I found this wonderful site today.

I'm more of a sailor. I have a Marshal Sanderling Catboat which is in Waquoit Bay, Falmouth, MA.

I recently got downsized from my former company and have decided to dedicate the rest of my career to the boating industry.

I'm taking my Captain's License ( Through Mariners Learning System) exam in May. I plan on trying to start a sailing instruction school in Falmouth, MA this summer.

I have 4 brothers that come on my boat to fish for stripers and blue fish. Two of my brothers fish competively traveling significant distances to compete. I will like this site because I can get some education about fishing. Then my brothers would be very impressed because I am currently clueless.

If anybody wants to learn to sail on Cape Cod let me know. Great rates, I just want some company. I will look forward to spending much more time on this web site.

#116 ·
I found this site recently while searching striper tips. It's been a wealth of info! I fish all of the time with my 4 boys. My 5 year old got his 1st largemouth last year. Striper fishing is new to us but I've been up late every night learning more and more from you guys. We've only caught 3 eels(which we left on for bait) and one small cat. I see that some advise using a float on the leader. I'll be trying that. Also, my leaders have only been 18", after much reading,looks like I'll need to go a bit longer. We fish from shore, does anyone know if it's a good idea to try a sabiki rig from shore? I don't see why not, I just thought I'd ask. Thanks for all of the tips!!!thumbsup.gif:smiliegrd:

#117 ·
If your comfortable with an 18" leader stick with it especialy if your using mono as main line. If using braid i would replace the tip with SIC(silicone carbide) as the braid will eat up aluminum oxide tip guides on the cast. If you decide to use sabiki rigs off the shore line i would remove the last two or three hooks off the bottom so it wouldn't snag as easy or to be frugal i would cut the rig in half and attach a 8"-10" leader on the bottom end that connects to the sinker. thumbsup.gif

#118 ·
Thanks alot! I am using mono; as for the sabikis, I just picked them up. I will try your advice. Frugality is important these days as I am laid off.(Plenty of time to study up!!)I just wish I knew about the striper run earlier. I'm usually too busy trout fishing this time of the year. Well, hopefully there is still time.:thu:

#119 ·
03-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Re: Welcome To All The New Guys!!!
welcome.gif

Member # 13,300 thumbsup.gif
The tally is now 14,276
1000 new members in < 2 months - I would say thats fairly impressive.

Another striped bass forum owner once told me to do myself a favor and get a real board instead of the bravenet spam board a few years back. - Thanks for the advice -

#123 ·
Hi everyone, I am not totally new to striper fishing but i recently moved much closer to striper territory so I am looking to get serious. I already on pace to have my best year yet, but really want to learn a lot more. I live in the Portsmouth NH area so I fish anywhere from Plum to Popham. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

James

#125 ·
Hi all. What a great site. Happy to find it. I'm Tom from northern New York. I haven't been up to Georgetown Island in a few years, but some of the most fun I've ever had has been catching big stripers on the beach at night at Reid State Park. I work ridiculous hours for a dairy company, but it looks like I can finally sneak away for a week in September and head north. I know it's impossible to predict weather & fish migrations, but if you were to guess, which week would I want to be at Reid? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Polls & tackle are on my porch ready to go. I can't wait. Thanks in advance. Good fishing.

#126 ·
For Maine - This is only speculation but I would think the earlier in September the better. The bait should be leaving the back bays as the water temp drops and the days get shorter. The stripers will be right on their heels chasing them along the coast. Good time to station yourself south of any inlets.

#127 ·
Burt First...

Consider these facts. Striped bass fishing is probably the toughest, most muscle busting game ever camaflouged by the word sport. You will walk miles and cast for hours, clamber over perilous, barnacle-encrusted rocks. You will fish night and day, from the beaches, from rock-scrabbled riverbanks and jetties, from the pitching, slippery decks of small boats. You will seek, always and forever, for a thing called blitz- which is often as elusive as pirate's gold at the foot of a rainbow.
Moreover, you will always find that this sport becomes an obsession. By comparison, fluke and flounder hunters are well mannered Saturday afternoon enthusiasts. Tuna fishermen go out with the dawn and return at sunset. Even those wild eyed characters who worship at the shrine of the bluefish manage to see their wives and children on ocassion. Not so the salty basser.
Almost literally the worthy rarely sees home. His waking senses are attuned to the tides and wind directions, the moon phases and barometric changes. His non fishing hours are filled with the rigging of plugs and squids, spoons and feathers. His refrigerator bulges with rigged eels (and eels that will be rigged sometime in the future). At every opportunity he goes-and he stays. If his wife is smart she sues for mental cruelty, or she goes fishing too.
Once committed to this strangely narcotic addiction, there is no cure or escape. So if you arent ready to give your soul to the sea, sand and stripers, dont buy this book, dont read it. And if some fiendish friend gives you a copy- burn it immediatly.

The complete book of striped bass fishing - Henry Lyman, Frank Woolner 1954

#128 ·
:sign4:Thanks for the welcome. My wife and I just moved up from southeast Florida. We are more used to fishing for mahi, sails, wahoo and kingfish so fishing the inlet will take some getting used to...we did get lucky this weekend and caught 4 nice stripers. Beginners luck I am sure:icon_smile:. I hope to learn some tips and techniques from you striper pros!:adore:

#129 ·
hi, i'm from New Brunswick in Canada, on the bay of fundy at the mouths of the St. John amd Kennibicasis rivers, and have been fishing stripers for the last 9 years. for a while we had the world record here, so there are stripers around, but most are really from chesapeak bay, up here to put the feed bag on for eels. our averag size can very by where exactly you are fishing, i mostly fish from shore just above the reversing falls (some times buy inflatable boat, some times by kayak), and the stripers average is a big schoolie, about 25-27", with of course a lot of bigger and smaller stripers. some times i get to fish right in the the falls during the incoming tide, and there the average is probabley 34-36" . as you can tell, that's a high average size but that's partly due to having almost no/or no localy produced stripers, due to a dam, so no little guys - they have to be big enough to survive the open ocean to get here.

i have fished swim baits, eels, cut bait, jigs, poppers etc. but now i mostly fish surface cranks and i'm starting to get into fly fishing for stripers.
:flyfish:

#131 ·
Hello all - Jim Mac here and since I already made my first mistake with a post I figured I better take a look through this section. Great site - looking to learning a lot and now that I am retired spending more days on the sound and on the Hudson between Newburgh and Kingston looking for the 'beast.'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.