Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Welcome To All The New Guys!!!

Tags
guys
117K views 211 replies 126 participants last post by  bitten 
#1 ·
I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all our visitors and registrants with my favorite striper fishing song from Billy Joel
DownEaster Alexa click here

Tight Lines to all!!!

The Downeaster 'Alexa'
Storm Front Released: 1989
Well I'm on the Downeaster Alexa
And I'm cruising through Block Island Sound
I have charted a course to the Vineyard
But tonight I am Nantucket bound

We took on diesel back in Montauk yesterday
And left this morning from the bell in Gardiner's Bay
Like all the locals here I've had to sell my home
Too proud to leave I worked my fingers to the bone

So I could own my Downeaster Alexa
And I go where the ocean is deep
There are giants out there in the canyons
And a good captain can't fall asleep

I've got bills to pay and children who need clothes
I know there's fish out there but where God only knows
They say these waters aren't what they used to be
But I've got people back on land who count on me

So if you see my Downeaster Alexa
And if you work with the rod and the reel
Tell my wife I am trolling Atlantis
And I still have my hands on the wheel

Now I drive my Downeaster Alexa
More and more miles from shore every year
Since they tell me I can't sell no stripers
And there's no luck in swordfishing here

I was a bayman like my father was before
Can't make a living as a bayman anymore
There ain't much future for a man who works the sea
But there ain't no island left for islanders like me

See less See more
#81 ·
Thanks for creating such a great site for all these people, and thanks for letting me be a part of it. I'm down in so jersey and rarely go north of Island beach state park. I love to fish the surf and looking to land mt first striper out of it soon. I'm already taking advantage of some suggestions I've read here and am always trying to learn more. Just finished the classic "striper surf" by diagnault. Which has been eye opening to say the least. If anyone has specifics about NJ fishing (i.e. bait, plugs shapes and sizes, general locations and beach buggy info) I'm all ears. See you guys on the beach.

Nick :usa:

#82 ·
Thanks for the Welcome...
Just moved from NW Jersey to Monmouth County....
Had a boat at the Highlands for years...got rid of it a few years ago...
So decided to get into some serious Surf Fishing since I am right at the beach...Need all the help I can get ....LOL

Bruce

Neptune,NJ:usa:

#83 ·
All,

Just joined, I am a New York Transplant to North East NC, Navy brought me to Hampton Roads and I decided to stay, now if I can just figure out how to fish the Albemarle I will really be happy. Primarily fish out of Elizabeth City, has proven to be a challenge but it should make future success even more sweet. I still drag up to Norfolk for a little self respect because the Albermarle has kicked my butt on numerous occassions. Looking forward to gaining some advice on how to fish these areas.

Bill
Bill W :navy:

#84 ·
Hey peeps
Im a north Jersey backwater angler. (Stripers and Blues) I like to build plugs too. When I stumbled onto this site I thought I died and went to heaven........."Plug building is great winter therapy"

#86 ·
Hey Guys,

i just joined yesterday....im 18 live in milltown new jersey i normaly fish the jetties in nomonco fall n winter stripers n blues bascially love to fish its hard with school but i get out as much as i can summer i go to the shore forked river area n love fluking n weak fishing... :bluegrin:

#89 ·
Really New

Hi Guys. I am completely new to Striped Bass Fishing. As a young fellow many years ago I fished off piers for mackerel. We used a stick, a string and a mackerel jig. Hey it works. More recently I was introduced to fly fishing for small mouth bass which was great, but I know next to nothing about fishing with a spinning reel or for that matter fishing a tidal river. I recently moved to Shubenacadie in Nova Scotia. Bass are in the river about 200 feet from my backdoor so I thought I'd give it a go. I bought a open cast reel and ordered a rod. What next?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

#90 ·
The New Brunswick and Nova Scotia Forum and the stripers101 thread. The stickies and the instructional reads.

lots to digest. take your time look through the stickies. rigs lures and equipment. etc etc. What to purchase then look at the site beginners clinic reads.

:welcomeaboard:

#92 ·
New fisherman here

Hello Everyone,
I just joined today after searching for some striper info for both the Newport, R.I. area and Fort Meade, Md area.

I'm in the Navy and in the processing of moving from Newport to Fort Meade and want to get smarter (and better) at Striper fishing. I'll be fishing by the Newport bridge for the next two months (when I find out the stripers are in the area) and then will be fishing somewhere in the Fort Meade area (where ever the fishing areas are down on Maryland).

I don't have a lot of knowlege about fishing for stripers. I fish from the shore and basically use squid and have a caught a few small guys (which I released) but not any keepers. Most of the time I'm catching other fish (Scup, blue fish, and some flounders (which are also too small to keep). Yes, I know I should get a boat.

However, I'm hoping after reading the posts in forums to gain some knowledge from the experienced fisherman and hopfully, I'll catch some keepers.

Thanks in advance.
Dennis :usa:

#93 ·
Re: New fisherman here

Welcome aboard Dennis!

Tons of info here,,, be sure to read the stickies in the Stripers101 forum as a starting point. thumbsup.gif

I fish from the shore and basically use squid.
Try switching up your bait. Squid may be mildly productive in the early spring when the squid are running into the bay, but even when the bass are feeding on the squid run, any bass of decent size is primarily targeting squid much larger than what you can typically get at the bait shop.
Most of the time I think you'll have much better results using bunker (pogies) in that area, if you're into bait fishing.

Yes, I know I should get a boat.
Not necessarily. Surfcasting can be very rewarding thumbsup.gif
Don't limit yourself to one method or one location. Try some top water lures in the early morning, try some soft plastics on a jig head, pay attention to the conditions when you're catching and when you're not. Learn from what you observe. and don't be afraid to explore new locations if yours is not producing. thumbsup.gif

#94 ·
Hey guys- you have a kickin' community here and I'm glad to be in on it. I've been striper fishing since a kid. Grew up on the Chesapeake (we called them Rock down there) and then moved north a while ago. Began playing in the upper Hudson a few years ago and re-ignited the FIRE!! I put-in at Troy or Corning and and monitor 68 on the VHF. I'm in a 16' Starcraft named "Keek".

#96 ·
Hello to all - My name is Ed, my friends call me GRIZZ.
Hope i can bring something to the site, as well as learn something from it. Mostly freshwater fisherman! But i do fish for Stripers. And i also icefish for them

Russco you are the man thumbsup.gif

#97 ·
:usa: Hi All , Thanks for the welcome, great site.

My name is Jim, I caught my first fish the day after I was born using my placenta as chum, as the years passed I became more proficient at fishing and once caught a 206 pound striper with my bare hands, I'm a true catch n release kinda guy so I let him loose.lol

Seriously though, I grew up near the Chesapeake Bay and have done my share of fishing from the Susquehanna to Chincotegue and the Ocean. Caught mostly every kind of fish from blue gills to sharks. I moved to new england a few years back and have done very little fishing since, I have gotten the bug again and wish to start learning the waters off New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts. I'm strictly a shore fisherman since I have an equilibrium problem and get sea sick to easy these days. thanks again . Jim

#98 ·
Hi everyone, just joined the site. Gotta say I like the way it's set up! I mainly fish bass but every spring down at Blue Marsh we get into schools of hybrids throwing jerkbaits, what a blast! I fish Raystown once a year with a group from the NAFC. We are still trying to figure things out there, maybe I can learn something from reading past posts? Anyway, if anyone has any questions, I'm more than willing to let you know what I know, which ain't a whole lot about striper fishing. lol Oh yeah, we usually get down to the flats at least once a year to fish for them, I usually do pretty well with a 3/4 oz. gold rattle trap. Tight lines all!

#101 ·
hello all forum member new guy here from Orlando ,FL. Been fishing mostly snook all my life,but this year the freeze kill most of our snooks.Season will be close till September.Last year went up to Tenn. fishing for striper in different dams and it was a blast really enjoy it .IM fishing from land so if any member can help me out would greatly appreciated .Be interested in FL,AL. TENN,GA any dams infor will be great.:thu::gob_icon_cheers:

#102 ·
Hi Everyone. Looking forward to this years fishing in Casco Bay,(Portland, Maine).My Big interest is Stripers, ofcourse, but this year I also waht to try some Haddock fishing. I also have my Non-Commercial Lobster License so I can drop 5 traps in the water.I have a 28' Bayliner Command Bridge that is under going a refurbishing from Bow to Stern. So I have been using my 16' Four Winns. Not much lucy last year as I had last mintue thing to finish on the boat and then the damn gas now-a-days shut my outboard engine down. Hope to have her up and running in a couple of months.Not employed right now and I have 20 more weeks before that runs out, so, I think you know where I will be most of my spare time.:a_goodjob:Will try to psot some pic's later this year.They better be biting better this year. Well, Thank You for allowing me to join this site. I think you have a good thing going here and I want to contribute to it as much as I can.Safe Fishing & Boating to you all.
Curly52 (Gary)

#103 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and fishing alike; starting back in January. With great effort, and many lessons learned the hard way, I've come a long way.

I live in Central California, about twenty-five minutes from the California Aqueduct (Somewhere near Fresno, CA). Around here, Stripers are the biggest, baddest fish I can readily fish. So natrually, I spent a great deal of time learning as much as I could about them. That's when I found this site.

Seems like a great deal of hardy information to be absorbed here. As well as a good opportnity to share and scrutinize my successes and failures with like-minded fishers. I'm happy to be here, and hope to contribute as much as I take away.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.