Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Welcome To All The New Guys!!!

Tags
guys
117K views 211 replies 126 participants last post by  bitten 
#1 ·
I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all our visitors and registrants with my favorite striper fishing song from Billy Joel
DownEaster Alexa click here

Tight Lines to all!!!

The Downeaster 'Alexa'
Storm Front Released: 1989
Well I'm on the Downeaster Alexa
And I'm cruising through Block Island Sound
I have charted a course to the Vineyard
But tonight I am Nantucket bound

We took on diesel back in Montauk yesterday
And left this morning from the bell in Gardiner's Bay
Like all the locals here I've had to sell my home
Too proud to leave I worked my fingers to the bone

So I could own my Downeaster Alexa
And I go where the ocean is deep
There are giants out there in the canyons
And a good captain can't fall asleep

I've got bills to pay and children who need clothes
I know there's fish out there but where God only knows
They say these waters aren't what they used to be
But I've got people back on land who count on me

So if you see my Downeaster Alexa
And if you work with the rod and the reel
Tell my wife I am trolling Atlantis
And I still have my hands on the wheel

Now I drive my Downeaster Alexa
More and more miles from shore every year
Since they tell me I can't sell no stripers
And there's no luck in swordfishing here

I was a bayman like my father was before
Can't make a living as a bayman anymore
There ain't much future for a man who works the sea
But there ain't no island left for islanders like me

See less See more
#30 ·
Hello all,

This is a great site! I'm glad I found it.. I've got alot of tips from it and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you at the gathering! Ive had stripers on the brain since the first one caught me! oops I mean since I caught my first one. I was hooked as soon as I heard the reel sing! lol See you all next weekend

Mike:trout::icon_salute2:

#34 ·
#36 ·
Thanks for the welcome......I haven't fished for stripers since I was about 14 on the beaches of Long Island but plan to start ASAP. I have fished a lot for Pompano and Blue fish on beaches in Fla ......2 questions :

1. What is the "canal" everyone refers to ? In Mass ?

2. Has anyone noticed that a lot of boats are coming on the market ? Is it a result of the fuel prices - just seems like the number for sale has increased.

#37 ·
2 questions :

1. What is the "canal" everyone refers to ? In Mass ?

2. Has anyone noticed that a lot of boats are coming on the market ? Is it a result of the fuel prices - just seems like the number for sale has increased.
Welcome aboard Trooper! & ksteele!!

Trooper, Yes the "canal" most people here refer to is the Cape Cod Canal in MA.

I'm sure fuel prices are driving it to some degree, but probably only one of many reasons someone might decide to sell. Some good deals out there right now though thumbsup.gif . If you're buying, a survey is always a good idea.

#38 ·
Hello everyone my names John and I just caught the striper bug bad. I live in yarmouth cape cod mass in a town that has a salt water river called BASS RIVER, and all i've caught in it within a 2 week period is one 14'' schoolie at like 12 at night with a striper striker. We've also been using sand eels off the cape cod bay side and havent caught a damn thing while everyone else around my buddy and me are catching keepers all over the place. (28'' is the limit this year) They actually just closed the beach due to pipping plovers so I think I might be sticking to the river for now. I dont have a boat so getting to the very middle of the river sometimes is a tough task. Anything that casts that far seems too big and splashy and out of place. HOOK ME UP (no pun intended) with some lures and techniques i can use to catch these little bastards. I'm sick of having a sore back, sore trigger casting finger and not a thing to show for it.O by the way my dad thinks it hilarious that we dont catch anything, says fishing builds character..... let me show him up please:thumbsdown:

#42 ·
Hello All,

I'm new to the Annapolis area, grew up in Western Md, which offers some of the best trout fishing in the country by the way, and am just learning the ropes of fishing the bay. I don't have a boat, (very frustrating) and with the purchase of a new house and a baby on the way will not be able to afford one anytime soon.

I currently live in Arnold and am moving to Pasadena very soon (We settle on Firday) I have fished Matapeake and Thomas Point a good bit and would love to know if there's anywhere up in the Dena worth shore fishing from. I'm pretty stocked on tackle and rods but was also wondering what kind of bait rigs are best for rocks. Any info will be appreciated

Rich

#47 ·
Hello and thanks for the welcome. I am new to surf casting this season and I am loving it. Nothing better than being out there with the red sox game on my radio...a slice of heaven. I haven't caught anything yet...but my anticipation and optimism keep me going!
I have only done lake/bass fishing in the past. I am in the Newburyport, MA area and enjoy going to PI. I have also gone to the Seabrook/Hampton area...by the bridge but I liked that area less.

Are there any other places that are nice to go to? Would love some recommendations.

Thanks...fabulous site and I learn something new each time I visit!

MARY

#49 ·
Just discovered the site and bewildered by all the ifo! I've been sifing saltwater since I was a kid on Long Island. I now live in MA and have a small place down on Martha's Vineyard. I discovered kayak fishing last year and am planning on going out again this weekend out by Gay Head assuming it isn't too rough. I also just took a job in Quincy so would love some advise on where to fish around the office. I can't imagine a better way to begin or end my day than throwing something in the water to get a striper! Anyway, first post, The name is Lee and I'll look to visit most days to see what's new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.