Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Welcome To All The New Guys!!!

Tags
guys
117K views 211 replies 126 participants last post by  bitten 
#1 ·
I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all our visitors and registrants with my favorite striper fishing song from Billy Joel
DownEaster Alexa click here

Tight Lines to all!!!

The Downeaster 'Alexa'
Storm Front Released: 1989
Well I'm on the Downeaster Alexa
And I'm cruising through Block Island Sound
I have charted a course to the Vineyard
But tonight I am Nantucket bound

We took on diesel back in Montauk yesterday
And left this morning from the bell in Gardiner's Bay
Like all the locals here I've had to sell my home
Too proud to leave I worked my fingers to the bone

So I could own my Downeaster Alexa
And I go where the ocean is deep
There are giants out there in the canyons
And a good captain can't fall asleep

I've got bills to pay and children who need clothes
I know there's fish out there but where God only knows
They say these waters aren't what they used to be
But I've got people back on land who count on me

So if you see my Downeaster Alexa
And if you work with the rod and the reel
Tell my wife I am trolling Atlantis
And I still have my hands on the wheel

Now I drive my Downeaster Alexa
More and more miles from shore every year
Since they tell me I can't sell no stripers
And there's no luck in swordfishing here

I was a bayman like my father was before
Can't make a living as a bayman anymore
There ain't much future for a man who works the sea
But there ain't no island left for islanders like me

See less See more
#2 ·
And a favorite Poem from John Masefield

"Sea-Fever"

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

By John Masefield (1878-1967).
(English Poet Laureate, 1930-1967.)

#4 ·
Dont forget to join to two private groups in your control panels. The event group requires a few posts and the blue room has adult material. Must be 18 and over.

Blue room
Access to the blue room
Event group

#5 ·
Welcome aboard all to a fantastic site. Not only will you find some useful information here but some fantastic people who are more than willing to teach you what they know. Its a great all year round with ssome outstanding members. Hope you enjoy and feel free to ask questions and post comments as you see fit. Remember, the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask!!!:welcomeaboard:

#7 ·
Hi Guys, Don't laugh not only am I new to striper fishing but also to posting. I live in Groton Vermont so needless to say my saltwater fishing is nill. Been freshwater all my life. Really looking forward to this new chapter . And any help or tips will be greatly coveted. I'll be in Old Orchard this weekend heard stipers are possible off the beach is it true? Yorkey

#8 ·
Yorkey, welcome! Go south of the beach my friend, you will find a place called Camp Ellis, Right at the mouth of the Saco river. Nice sea wall, easy walk for the first 100 yards or so. Head out till the stones get difficult to walk, AKA billy goat terrain. As you look to the river the channel gets fairly deep, and close by. I have been successful with all methods of Bassin there.
Make sure to stop in at Saco bay bait and Tackle, on rte 1,south of the beach, in Saco. you can't miss it, It has a huge blue shark over the sign. They are great folks and know the area well. Do what they tell you and you should be successfull

#10 ·
I am Happy to find your site !
I used to fish a lot while growing up in North east N.C. rivers/sounds/Outer banks. I have not fished much in the last 20 years but would like to learn the new techniques . I own a 21 ft center console Palm Beach Fishing boat , 4 wheel drive grand wagoneer. I like to surf fish as well as boat fish in non rough water.
I look forward to learning your expert advice .
Thanks

#13 ·
Been Fishin all my life I have had tendencey to find a fish and fish the crap outta it for a few years then move onto a new one. With the cold weather moving in and the Duck population not doing a thing down here in SC I am gonna take up striper fishing to keep me on the water this winter

#32 ·
10 more in the last two hours from Ohio, Missouri, South Carolina, Georgia, Massachusetts, Colorado and New Jersey.

Welcome. post up. say hello.
Hello from Floirda. Have fished stripers up in New England with a great amount of success. Now is central Florida away from the coast line. Where along the coastlines, East or West would there be any stripe bass? I do not mind traveling either way. I do not have a boat and would like to fish the shore lines. I am past my seventies but still want to get up and go. Help. And thanks:Sailor:

#17 ·
Total of 57 members joined yesterday. (Monday) all activated and most joined the blue room. thumbsup.gif

To get that non posting member out of your profile.
Just change it in the user control panel or post. Posting is preferred.
welcome.gif

Hello to all our Gamecock fans

#19 ·
Hi guys,

I'm a total rookie. I've been on a friend's boat out of Newburybort a few times with some success (thanks to him) and have suddenly caught the bug to fish from shore. This site has been an amazing resource and I hope it leads me to some fish - either way, I've figured out alot and regardless of what Tom Petty says, sometimes the waiting is not the hardest part.

Thanks,

Chris

#20 ·
Hello, I'm Hoagie.
I'm a fisherman from Jersey, more specificly the Raritan Bay to Sandy Hook and points south...I was strictly a surf guy until 2 yrs. ago when I bought a boat. Now I split my time. I've been at it about 26 years and have made a ton of friends to share my passion with and have found this site very cool. I hope to learn a few things and maybe pass a few things along.
STRIPERJIM, you have done a great job with this site and I hope to fish with you some day.
Tight lines.

#21 ·
Here's a Big "Howdy Ya'll" from Texas. There is not much Striper fishing here on the coast, the big Stripers here are inland here a couple hundred miles. I fish the Surf about 40 miles south of Galveston (San Luis Pass) to Freeport (Mouth of the Brazos). There are alot of Red Drum here and I hope to keep ya'll posted.

Thank You;
for the Welcome

Dano N

#22 ·
Hello this is Camoman,
I just joined the site today and it really looks good.
Mostly I'm a freshwater guy so any input both ways
Would be appreciated in the highest manner.
If anyone would like advice on European design rods
Please feel free to contact me 646-369-9570
My favorite rods are made by Mikado,Team Dragon
Shimano Euro.
hello.gif

#27 ·
Hello all.
Been a lurker for a while.
Hope to contribute a bit this year, but may be tough
Have a very young mini-me at home, 3months.
May be tough to hit the Suds, which is my only method of fishing.
Tight lines to all and have a good weekend.

-OBFIHatman (Ocean Beach Fire Island Hatman)wave.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.