Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Welcome To All The New Guys!!!

Tags
guys
117K views 211 replies 126 participants last post by  bitten 
#1 ·
I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all our visitors and registrants with my favorite striper fishing song from Billy Joel
DownEaster Alexa click here

Tight Lines to all!!!

The Downeaster 'Alexa'
Storm Front Released: 1989
Well I'm on the Downeaster Alexa
And I'm cruising through Block Island Sound
I have charted a course to the Vineyard
But tonight I am Nantucket bound

We took on diesel back in Montauk yesterday
And left this morning from the bell in Gardiner's Bay
Like all the locals here I've had to sell my home
Too proud to leave I worked my fingers to the bone

So I could own my Downeaster Alexa
And I go where the ocean is deep
There are giants out there in the canyons
And a good captain can't fall asleep

I've got bills to pay and children who need clothes
I know there's fish out there but where God only knows
They say these waters aren't what they used to be
But I've got people back on land who count on me

So if you see my Downeaster Alexa
And if you work with the rod and the reel
Tell my wife I am trolling Atlantis
And I still have my hands on the wheel

Now I drive my Downeaster Alexa
More and more miles from shore every year
Since they tell me I can't sell no stripers
And there's no luck in swordfishing here

I was a bayman like my father was before
Can't make a living as a bayman anymore
There ain't much future for a man who works the sea
But there ain't no island left for islanders like me

See less See more
#211 ·
great Jake !!! I can't wait to feel the pull of a cow. You know i'm bringing Clambellies. happy3.gif Ah yes......nothing better than sharing a night with a friend, some surf and a little hope, does it get any better than that? I'm thinking of heading back down to ye ole honey hole in Little Compton next spring. If you remember right, thats when I took that 50. April. Geesh....i'm getting all excited now. Theres something about those nights, you know the ones. Starts out with a nice walk up the beach, all excited about the night ahead. If your like me....hauling way to much equipment, can't have to much if you ask me. More poles than you can shake a , well, pole at. tons of bait, bellies more bellies and maybe some eels just in case. Maybe some frozen squid to keep the beers cold in the cooler. Need some headlamps to shine in the fishies eyes as they come ashore so that they think aliens caught them. Yada yada yada.....all the while hoping that the wind is up just enough to keep the skitters at bay.

#212 ·
Re: Meet The Admins

Hi guys. My name is John and Im 64 years old now. I started out trout fishing when I was 15. Got involved with fly fishing and fly tying mostle Beaverkill river and Housatonic in Ct. Went up north for salmon runs and got into steelhead shortly after that. Been striper fishing from shore in the Hudson river for @ 20 years now. Do a little from my boat. Like to trout fish from late March till mid april. I will then fish for stripers untill the end of May. Fluke fishing is one of my passions now. I also love blackfish. I fish them in a canal in New Jersey. I have been surf fishing Montauk for @ 5 years or so. Love it. Dont know if I can still wetsuit it. Out of shape. I fish the Barnagate inlet and surf @ Island beach state park. Ive also been an avid deer hunter..archery..gun..muzzleloader. Hunt turkey, bear,coyotee. I think you get the picture. Lately more concerned @ spending time with family(mostly grandchildren)Wonderful site..keep up the good work. Hoping to contribute more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.