Cape Cod Canal Area Gathering - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Cape Cod Canal Area Gathering

Details coming soon. It's in the works, and place, time, and other items of interest are on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Cape Cod Canal Area Gathering

As long as it's after Sept. 9th, I will be there. I'll be taking the family back home to Kansas City to visit family from August 31st - Sept 9th.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:54 AM
First Mate

Im there Gunny, I might as well learn something about fishing the waters of my home state... Might even bring the wife along for some grillin and chillin.

BryanL
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 AM
Banned

Oh yea, this should be a good one!! I figured that the boston area wouldn't stake up compared to the previous gatherings so south we go!!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Veteran Elite

we will see. sept is a busy month for me back to school. deer season prep. early goose season. this is the tough time of year when the seasons overlap and it is hard to choose what to do.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:28 PM
First Mate

Who do you think you're kidding Smu? We know you'll be there even if the Gunny and I HAVE TO KIDNAP YOU...

Bryan
Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
Who do you think you're kidding Smu? We know you'll be there even if the Gunny and I HAVE TO KIDNAP YOU...

Bryan
Oh hell yea Im always down to help with a kidnapping. This next gathering should be the most productive one yet for fishing (fingers crossed)
Old 08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Pro Staff

Haha,,, imagine that,, a gathering where fish show up too?
Now that's a novel idea
Old 08-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
Haha,,, imagine that,, a gathering where fish show up too?
Now that's a novel idea
I know right?!? You mean we get together to actually catch something???
Old 08-22-2007, 06:31 PM
in awe of real fisherman

I am going to cross my fingers and pray it does not land on a wedding/birthday/som other commitment weekend. I was kicking myself for missing the past two!!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Lunker

a word of advice to any one thinking of making it,is to get a bike . nothing fancy but a basket of some kind to hold plugs,small cooler ,bait if your chunking,and a couple of pipes for rod holders mounted securely and vertically on the basket or crate,makes you mobile .i cant post pictures of mine but its just an old mountain bike with a newspaper type basket over the back wheel with 2 two inch dia. pipes mounted with wire ties to hold rods .definately not neccessary if for one reason or another you cant use a bike but lets you cover ground. an off topic now, it sounds like expectations of fish are running high and ithink some fish will be caught but you know how things play out sometimes.the place can light up unexpectedly and also turn off like someone threw a switch.but at the least i guarantee you that you will walk away with a little knowledge of how to fish it.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:11 AM
First Mate

I know personally speaking I could attend one of these gatherings every day of the week, never catch a single fish, and still have the time of my life. As Roc put it, its not always all about the fish.

BryanL
Old 08-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Banned

I agree with you Bryan. I wouldn't say the expectations are high but everyone is optimistic. I am going to head down there this weekend at some point if anyone wants to join for some recon/fishing let me know, if your on my way or close to it ill even pick you up, thats not a problem at all.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned

Here is a recent report I found if anyone is interested, I wouldn't rely on it but it does suggest Roc's favorite method of bass catching.

Cape Cod in general...
08/15/07

The weather has been a little tough these past few days, but the fishing is decent if you can get out.

The bass fishing in the rips off Monomoy has been good. There are a lot of shorts, but if you work at it and know where in the rip the fish are laying in wait, you can score on some decent keepers. The key here is to
watch the waves on the edge of the rip to see where the fish are staging. That tip comes from an old pro, who by the way, consistently out fishes all other boats in the area. I won't mention any names, but thanks for
the tip!

The bluefin bite off Chatham is still hot. The flavor of the week is Rainbow. The fish are keying in on Rainbow squid rigs with assorted stinger colors
working well. A 36" - 13" Rainbow Squid rig with a 13" glow green or green/chartreuse stinger has been putting up big numbers. The black bars are also working well, and the tuna trains are also a good bet.

There are still giants being taken at Peaked Hill, and the bass crowd off P-town is just that, a crowd! There are some keeper bass being taken though, along with a ton of bluefish. As you read in Capt. Hap Farrell's
report, there are stripers to be had in the Bay, but you do have to work at it.

Lots of small bass in the Canal. Your best shot for a decent fish is at night with live eels.

There are some bigger bass being taken off the south side of the Vineyard on tube and worms, jigs, and eels.

If you are looking for bluefish, take your pick. Anywhere you go you will find bluefish.

Good luck! Dave
Old 08-23-2007, 06:12 PM

From the dawn of time, every Striper man worth the salt left on his waders, after the water evaporates understands one thing, Eels catch Stripers. Once you learn how to work them and what conditions require working them, you will catch Stripers.
Now back to the topic.......................................
Weekend of September 22, meeting place still to be announced, It will be "Canal Area" meaning several locations in short distances offer differant terrain for fishing. Some just a few steps from the door of your vehicle.
More to come....................................