Newbie here -- terms Plugging / Chunking ? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 01-31-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Newbie here -- terms Plugging / Chunking ?

Hey all. I've been lurking here for a tad and wanted to officially say hello and ask my first of undoubtedly many stupid questions.

I've been trying to figure out what you guys are talking about in many of these threads and the only thing I think I see is that I'm somewhere REEL close to a "Googan."

If you will, what do plugging and chunking mean I'm sure that there are a bunch more of these that I won't get so feel free to point out anything you like.

Thanks.

Tainui
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 04:55 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

There are no stupid questions here ;) Without questions, there'd be no answers...we'd never learn

"Plugging" is used to describe throwing lures. If I'm gonna take a bag full of wood plugs, and hit the rocks or the surf, I will tell my friends I'm goin' "pluggin'". Plugging can also be used to describe fishing live eels....."plugging" eels means fishing the live eel as you would a lure...casting it out with a slow retrieve.

If I am instead gonna take a little cooler with say, Herring, then I'd say "I'm off to go chunkin'". Chunking describes tossing chunks of bait as your presentation to the fish.

I hope this helps! :)

Old 01-31-2006, 06:42 PM

Hi Tanuii
Glad you posted. Your post is exactly the reason this site came into being. Like JB said, ask questions. Now that the search feature works its back to its good old self (thanks to JB) there really is a wealth of info on these pages.
I have canged the beginners clinic name to stripers101 as well. It can be found in the striper room.
Chunkin is nothing more than putting a piece of cut bait on the end of a hook and tossing it in the water. You might also see it referred to as 'dead sticking'. Putting a rod in a sand spike and leaving it there with a piece of cut bait or a worm or clam or squid or whatever on the (terminal) end.
The weight of the your sinker, lure and bait become important when your selecting a rod to fish with. A chunking stick should have a good backbone and be capable of throwing upwards of 6 and 8 ounces. A good plugging stick depends on the size lures you will be tossing. they are rated light, med, med heavy and heavy.

Enjoy the site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 10:05 PM

hey Tainui welcome, I think Jonny and Jim answered your questions pretty good. As far as being a "googan" we've all been a googan at some point in our fishing life :)
Old 01-31-2006, 10:16 PM

I still am a googan Tanuii especially compared to some of the guys here. They have tons of experience and knowledge.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:03 PM

Thanks guys

I'm off to stripers101 thanks for the starting point.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:40 AM

No! Thank You Tanuii for the page idea and the incentive to finish it.
The page has already been crawled by the search engines with a nice placement for the key words. chunking bait
Check it out on google. :) You guys help make our site successful.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Master of Nothing

Default Re: Newbie here

Please elaborate on the term "googan." So I don't throw it around carelessly...lol
Old 10-16-2007, 11:12 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankc123 View Post
Please elaborate on the term "googan." So I don't throw it around carelessly...lol
i believe the dictionary has pic of zim for a definition of the word googan...

nah...just kidding....i understand a googan to be the person on the beach without a clue....
i guess we do all start out as googans..being beginners and all..but there are those who will never learn..or never care to learn..you will find a few almost everywhere you go..you will know them when they cast over your line...when they leave trash on the beach..dont even know what kind of fish they caught.. wonder why the 7" wal mart rod/reel combo snapped in half when they hook into a good fish...so on and so on...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi4290 View Post
i believe the dictionary has pic of zim for a definition of the word googan...

nah...just kidding....i understand a googan to be the person on the beach without a clue....
i guess we do all start out as googans..being beginners and all..but there are those who will never learn..or never care to learn..you will find a few almost everywhere you go..you will know them when they cast over your line...when they leave trash on the beach..dont even know what kind of fish they caught.. wonder why the 7" wal mart rod/reel combo snapped in half when they hook into a good fish...so on and so on...

hay that sounda like me.
anyone want to go fishing lol.