When do the stripers start hitting the canal. I v got fishing fever but it's only march 3rd - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Default When do the stripers start hitting the canal. I v got fishing fever but it's only march 3rd

Is march to early to hit up the canal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Young salt

Default Re: When do the stripers start hitting the canal. I v got fishing fever but it's only march 3rd

I would say it's a bit too early man, I'm guessing late April/early may is when they start seeing fish in any sort of numbers down your way. I know mid-May early June is when they start hitting the rivers and beaches up here in Maine. I like the screen name though man . Plenty of reading and learning to do on this site between now and then though.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 03-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: When do the stripers start hitting the canal. I v got fishing fever but it's only march 3rd

Ive had a little luck in mid to end of april, I hope its early this year.They weather is making me itch for stripers!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 06:41 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootedfisher View Post
Is march to early to hit up the canal?
as far as migrating fish...yeah...march is too early. holdovers though can be caught year round in the canal...far and few between...but there are some there.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:56 AM
Striper Hunter

thanks guys im just real itchy to get out there u know.ive done all my tackle maitnance organized my back hallway which doubles as my fishing/camping storage hangout. changed hooks that needed it from last year etc.my wife and i are still rookies but i felt like i gained alot ofknowledge last year and read every surf casting book i could get my hands on this winter and im super eager to get out there...till then ill keep lurkin on this amazing site this site has kept me stoked all winter but it also has made metruly blue balled or shall i say blue reeled haha see you out there soon.......zootedfisher
Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Striper Hunter

theres fish in ri, small but there here . itching for cinder worm hatch
Old 03-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Striper Hunter

You could always try to catch the mythical canal cod on the east end.if you have to fish why not?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 PM
The worlds worst fisherman

I'd suggest to start fishing it now during the fastest part of the tide in the brightest of sun so ur all out of bucktail jigs by the time i get there..... In may.

P.s. I hit on a blitz last memorial day at first light, before then it was one or two schoolies here an there. and i started mid april, so any indication of a timeline for ya.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Look for water temps at or above 50 degrees F

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Northeast.shtml

goto the bouy BZBM3, should tell you water temp.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
thanks guys im just real itchy to get out there u know.ive done all my tackle maitnance organized my back hallway which doubles as my fishing/camping storage hangout. changed hooks that needed it from last year etc.my wife and i are still rookies but i felt like i gained alot ofknowledge last year and read every surf casting book i could get my hands on this winter and im super eager to get out there...till then ill keep lurkin on this amazing site this site has kept me stoked all winter but it also has made metruly blue balled or shall i say blue reeled haha see you out there soon.......zootedfisher
Canal = Red Top. Go there and spend a few bucks. They have a sale starting the 27th of this month. If you keep your cool the guys will treat you right. Ask general questions not specific (where are the big fish and when should I fish) = not a good question. How has the canal been this week? = good question. Are they getting them on top or bottom = good question. What color on top has been producing = good question. Any bait passing through? = good question. What kind = good question. If you haven't fished the ditch before. These are the guy's you NEED to talk to before you head out. BTW don't go there ZOOTED
Old 03-18-2010, 10:54 AM
swabbie

Love the user name!
Old 03-20-2010, 03:04 AM
Striper Hunter

Haha u guys r funny my kind of people. So I shldnt go in there and ask were the big ones are and if my huffy combo and balled up wonder bread is a good way to catch em. Haha thanx tho I've never been there I will def check out and don't worry I ll keep my cool and I'll use visene before I go in haha I'm just excited about this year and can't wait to learn more nd more everyday
Old 03-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Young salt

Quote:
I ll keep my cool and I'll use visene before I go in haha

I could be wrong but I think what BBJ meant was don't go to the canal zooted.....save it for afterwards, you'll be glad ya did!!! Don't underestimate the mental aspect of fishing (especially when targeting the big boys) and keeping a clear head about ya whether on the beach, a jetty, river or fighting the rocks/crashing waves at Montauk. I don't mind having a couple beers while fishing, as a matter of fact I rather enjoy it, but anything more than that is done after the fact when I return home. Not trying to preach to ya man, to each his own, just some friendly advice from a fisherman who's taken his share of lumps over the years unneccesarily due to a cloudy head

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 04-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Official Member

With the herring already there for a couple of weeks, i'm sure there are stripers to be had.. Talked to a couple of canal rats and they will be thowing this weekend.. Knowing these guys, i'm sure they will pick up a few fish..
Old 04-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
I could be wrong but I think what BBJ meant was don't go to the canal zooted.....save it for afterwards, you'll be glad ya did!!! Don't underestimate the mental aspect of fishing (especially when targeting the big boys) and keeping a clear head about ya whether on the beach, a jetty, river or fighting the rocks/crashing waves at Montauk. I don't mind having a couple beers while fishing, as a matter of fact I rather enjoy it, but anything more than that is done after the fact when I return home. Not trying to preach to ya man, to each his own, just some friendly advice from a fisherman who's taken his share of lumps over the years unneccesarily due to a cloudy head

StriperHyper ~ Will
That's what I meant. Go to Red Top as baked as you can. But fishing the canal straight can be a task. There is a thread on another site about a guy who was rushed to the hospital that split his wig pretty bad after falling a week or 2 ago. Then again I have a friend who literally can't function without being zooted all day