International Fly Tying Symposium - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 11-17-2009, 06:33 AM
First Mate

Default International Fly Tying Symposium

THE FLY TYING SYMPOSIUM

ALL THINGS FLY TYING
THE WORLD'S LARGEST SHOW FOR FLY TYING

THE DATES ARE NOV. 21 & 22

http://www.internationalflytyingsymposium.com

A Note From The Director

Welcome to the 19th International Fly Tying Symposium. This year’s theme is "Big Fish Flies." We all have a fly that seems to outfish all others when we hook the fish of the day, or the fish of the year. Maybe we won’t tell you where or when we landed that monster fish, but most of us are proud to show you the fly we created that tricked that wise old fish. Sure, it could have been luck, the right tide, a perfect cast, or other factors, but the fly matters most. And for a tier to succeed with his own pattern is much more satisfying than fishing bought flies. Even if the fly is a copy of a reliable pattern by another tier, as long as you tied it, it’s still O.K. The symposium will be a wealth of tying knowledge and big fish are sure to be in your future with the patterns you create or duplicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 02:13 PM
First Mate

Default Re: International Fly Tying Symposium

Well Mae it down to the Symposium on Sunday. Got in a little late as I had things to do. Met up with Zimno at the show. I myself am not into fly fishing(right now) but think I contracted a new sickeness while there.(fly tying and fishing) I have done a little fly fishing in my younger days. Even not really being into the sport it was amazing to see the art(flies) that were on display and the demo's that most of the World's Best Tyers tied. Folks that area in the area and did not attend really missed out. These guys were so gracious, even knowing I don't fly fish they still took the time to show me some of the tricks and flies that they specialize in. As many of you may know some of the best teasers are flies and what better than to tie your own. I did not have my camera with me as it was full and I was sneaking out of the house. I also knew Zim had his and I could get the pics from him. Well I had also picked up some needed items, hair, epoxy, XL bungy braid, hackle and such. I was also given this very nice fly/teaser and given all the info and tricks to tie near the end of show. Yes given
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jonhah teaser.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	12272  
Old 11-23-2009, 10:54 PM
dawn patrol

wow, thats sounds really cool, , i need to pick up a turner (epoxy dryer) i am into fy fishing about a year now, and tying my own but on the jersey shore with the wind some days i just use my surf rod (spinner) and sometimes ty 1 or 2 flys or teasers on while casting a metal jig but anyway i think there is a show or something in edison nj, in jan to look for a jig turner cabelos is kinda expensive, any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 07:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyeck View Post
wow, thats sounds really cool, , i need to pick up a turner (epoxy dryer) i am into fy fishing about a year now, and tying my own but on the jersey shore with the wind some days i just use my surf rod (spinner) and sometimes ty 1 or 2 flys or teasers on while casting a metal jig but anyway i think there is a show or something in edison nj, in jan to look for a jig turner cabelos is kinda expensive, any ideas
Check Ebay, A guy at the show had one for around $69. Yes there is show in Jan. It is also in somerset. I'm going to look into them spinners as I think they can be made for 1/2 or less

Cabelas also has this one for 39 and another for 59
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0043229318505a.shtml
Old 11-24-2009, 08:25 PM
First Mate

I already have a few ideas, I also have to check my supplier for some motors. I checked into a few motors that I know will work so I know I can build some for a reasonable price. Would not be much less than $30 or so if I was to sell them, unless I knew I could sell a dozen or so
Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 PM
dawn patrol

hey thanks for the info, i must of must of missed that one for 39.99 but i think your rite about makeing one it would be great to save a few bucks but then, if i don't have one, i can't use one so i'll look around but don't want to wait too long.............tight lines
Old 11-25-2009, 09:53 AM
First Mate

One can be made for around $15 or so. If I was selling them then I just might want to cover my time. If I make some for my self then maybe I would make a couple more. The one for 39 is neat as I think it also gives you the rod/grip holder. The one at the show had a wheel w/ a spring around it and you would stick the hook into the spring. This way it gave more clearance to the hair/feather/etc. as it was on the most outside part of the wheel. May need to draw something to explain as I'm not sure I did a god job of it
Old 11-25-2009, 07:31 PM
dawn patrol

ya striper, i know what you mean i seen the one w/ the spring looking band around for holding hooks. if you were to make one, what would use as a motor?? have you been fishing lately? i fish a lot in smc, my home waters, where u from???
Old 11-26-2009, 06:10 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyeck View Post
ya striper, i know what you mean i seen the one w/ the spring looking band around for holding hooks. if you were to make one, what would use as a motor?? have you been fishing lately? i fish a lot in smc, my home waters, where u from???
I'm over an hour away from the shore, well I have made it in a little over 45 min with no traffic or hassles but that is really moving along. The few times I got out this fall was NMC, only got out 3 times w/ 1 skunk. I fish using conventional or spin, right now I don't fly fish. Maybe next year I will give it a shot. There are a few different motors you can use, well I would think there is quite a few and many I don't know of. I need to check my catalog for others as I can think of 2 different ones offhand. If I told you I would have to kill you. Only kidding, Have A Happy and Safe Thanksgiving-send me a PM and introduce yourself. I will reply with what info I have. I have not fished my home waters for a couple years, to me my home is and always will be MA and I used to fish from RI to Bar Harbor. My new home is on Lake Hopatcong(10+yrs) here in NJ, actually we have hybrids here in the lake they are kinda small but somewhat tastey, not nearly as good as walleye though.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL