trip to the Canal - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: trip to the Canal

1 last nite shift and heading out in am, packing in the car is harder to fit stuff than the truck!would like to make the noon slack, says rain but less chance than here, hope to see some guys with fish,blue pontiac vibe with 12 foot ugly sticking out somewhere. got 6 macks to start me but am taking the jig stuff also. tonite will be a long 1 for sure!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm627 View Post
1 last nite shift and heading out in am, packing in the car is harder to fit stuff than the truck!would like to make the noon slack, says rain but less chance than here, hope to see some guys with fish,blue pontiac vibe with 12 foot ugly sticking out somewhere. got 6 macks to start me but am taking the jig stuff also. tonite will be a long 1 for sure!!!
Good luck! If you can at all fish at night the daylight hours have been very unproductive. First lights have shown a couple busting fish but that's it. All the fish I have caught there this season with the exception of 3 have been in the dead of night.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm627 View Post
blue pontiac vibe with 12 foot ugly sticking out somewhere.
If you see my truck, hunt me down and say hi. Grey Silverado that has a skunk with a hangman's noose around it's neck on top of the roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2009, 07:47 PM
First Mate

Sounds like the fishing up there isn't going good at the moment. I'll be heading up there in july some time. Could anyone point me in the direction of about where to start on the canal? In no means am i asking for a specific spot, but just some general area seeing as it is so big. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilie View Post
Sounds like the fishing up there isn't going good at the moment. I'll be heading up there in july some time. Could anyone point me in the direction of about where to start on the canal? In no means am i asking for a specific spot, but just some general area seeing as it is so big. Thanks.
It's 8 miles on each side of the canal. Lots of walking. I fished there this weekend and boy am I sore from all the walking. Lost of people use bikes modified for fishing. That's what I am going to do next time.

Be aware that the tall ships parade will be going through the canal the week and weekend after July 4th

Best thing you can do to find out some good spots is visit the bait and tackle store and buy some stuff and ask them. I do and they look at tides and wind and weather and give recommendations. There's several shops in the area.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
There is no general area!!! Its the canal fish chase bait through and leave. You have to get out there and walk and even if someone were to generalize where to go it may not even matter depending on the bait situation. Just get out there and fish. I just got back from there caught several biggest 28lbs.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:11 PM
First Mate

Hey guys, thanks. I'll probably use bikes when we go, and Jon006 What's your favorite tide to fish?
Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks. I'll probably use bikes when we go, and Jon006 What's your favorite tide to fish?
You know what to be quite honest I don't have a preference. I am less concerned with the tide as I am finding bait however tides obviously play a big role as to where that bait may be. The deal with the canal I've found is that certain spots are better at different tides and most of it has to do with how the rocks are stacked underwater. Of course take this with a grain of salt because most of the time I will fish for 12-14 hours there which gives me the advantage of fishing a couple tides.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 PM
First Mate

Alright, we will probably me fishing it mainly in the early morning and in the evening into the night hopefully using eels. If it all plays out right we should hook into some, thanks for the advice.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Striper Hunter

heading down Wednesday morning again, hopefully get my first keeper of the year nothing but schoolies, let everyone know how it goes
Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Striper Hunter

just got back, only 1 24 incher but i did get a dogfish (sand shark) about 35-40 inch lol. had a blast just shooting the shit with guys that WERE catching them and the wife and pup wer very comfortable mingling lol. i was a tourist at best!!!
and i think after checking the length both sides (i had 2 know) there r fish the entire 14 miles. when i return and i will soon i will be better prepared for the travel (i forgot my [email protected]%&#) was hoping a member would be there and several guys know this site and they aint saying nothing so neither am i . good luck guys im fishing penobscot bay this week and i have high hopes of some large fish . good luck going down there i didnt want to leave because i caught my fish an hour b4 i left and i think i have it now lol go %*#)* figure
Old 06-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Yes this weekend was tough there. I only managed 1 all weekend and it seemed like everywhere I went no one was hooking up. Showed up at one place about 30 minutes too late as a couple guys were leaving with some 36" or so stripers.

Oh well....we'll get 'em next time
Old 06-22-2009, 11:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
Yes this weekend was tough there. I only managed 1 all weekend and it seemed like everywhere I went no one was hooking up. Showed up at one place about 30 minutes too late as a couple guys were leaving with some 36" or so stripers.

Oh well....we'll get 'em next time

What do you think the most productive method of taking fish in the canal is? Personally i'll be using slug'go's and live eels and possibly some mackeral if i can snag some.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned

Your not going to be able to snag macks there. Eel's haven't done the trick yet aside from some bluefish chopping. A certain type of bait showed up last weekend in one location but I am not going to mention the type. Jigging has been the key to big fish....although you can find schoolies under the lights and blast them on smaller swimmers and you may work up to a larger fish...but jigging is king down there. You will catch less fish but most of the time they will be much larger.

Double....sorry to hear it was tough....what time did you fish till? After I left you guys I went back to my buddy's and didn't get back on the water till 11pm. The winds shifted from light and variable to south south-east and we started hooking up nicely....in exactly the area I had suggested you check out!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 PM
First Mate

Thanks Jon for the input, this week i'm stocking up on my jigs. The only thing is i have trouble finding darker jigs for fishing in the evening and night, but i'll come across some good ones eventually, thanks again man.