trip to the Canal - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Default trip to the Canal

Taking a trip to the canal on the 19th cannt wait to see the beauty of the Mecca of striper fishing (chesepeke bay not included) hope the action is good i always have a great time, the dog is happy on the trails and the wife loves the shopping. very friendly area as i have never met a nasty local!!! seems to be a comaraderie of fisherman , but recently i noticed i might be just a hick on vac. lol , i hope mackeral will work as they r free for me lol, but the sand eels seem a good choice also usualy. after letting a thousand stripes go in maine i have never hooked up in the cannal this is my year!! look for maine plates black siverado the guy catching the fish ,ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Bass Master

Default Re: trip to the Canal

Good luck and may your lines be taught!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Pro Staff

I'll be down there for a club tourney the night of the 20th, I'll keep an eye out for ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 11:25 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Bass wishes you Maine-iac! Mackeral should work Ok just bring plenty of leader material and a lead in many shapes and sizes.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned

Ill be down that weekend as well.....hopefully the fishing gets a bit better....big fish about but no numbers....skip the mackeral and jig or use big 9" tsunami swimmers
Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Striper Hunter

3 night shifts and we r headed down,i already have cow fever!!! i have a lot of tackle but wondering if my jigs are large enough how many 0z.s to work in that wicked current?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Pro Staff

You'll want a good selection of sizes, as the size needed all depends on the current speed, which changes drastically depending on the stage of the tide and moon, and the size/bouyancy of whatever trailer/rubber you have on the jig head. Generally somewhere between 2 & 4 oz is sufficient. You want to use just enough weight to get to the bottom, but not so much that the current can't sweep it along.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Striper Hunter

Also, pick up a copy of the current changes. The current will change at different times than the tides and that can have an effect on your spot and/or which tide you want to fish
Old 06-15-2009, 07:03 PM

good luck, ive been there a few times this year with no success.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Striper Hunter

i will be wearing an ugly stick hat (good luck hat)(wife dont like it lol) ill be with the cute gal and a little white dog,the SPOT i fish is in a place the locals asked howd i find it lol. probly take the pontiac vibe as the wife wants to shop and dont like my truck BUT then i will have to walk so getting tough lol. it is Man Day today so do something mannly im drinking beer and talking fish dont get more mannly than that lol
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
Also, pick up a copy of the current changes. The current will change at different times than the tides and that can have an effect on your spot and/or which tide you want to fish
Good point....fish the tide turns down there if you can especially ones that come around morning time, more specifically the turn after outgoing....and although its tough in the canal, try to find any signs of bait minus those brown chogies (spelling?) you'll see those in the eddy's but the bass don't pay much attention to them.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Lurker supreme

There are no fish in the Ditch!!

Ignore the guy in the Hersheys hat who looks just like me... Or say hi and buy me a coffee!!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Banned

Ha certainly no fish in the ditch for sure!!! How about you buy me a coffee and I will buy you one!!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:26 PM
The worlds worst fisherman

tide charts heres a good link for a chart. becareful of those rocks, they bite!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Banned

Heading there now myself for trip number 14 of the season...so far I haven't been skunked (sometimes it pays to know how to find those schoolies to save a bum night!!) The tides should be a bit better and with the break in the weather maybe some bait will move in, probably not till the new moon so expectations are modest. Jig, jig, jig, followed by jig and hopefully some pencil's in the am!

About those rocks......korkers!!!! I've seen a couple of guys get busted up this year already and would hate to see more....knock yourself out and land in that swift current and that would be not so good!