So, the canal finally blew up this weekend - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Default Re: So, the canal finally blew up this weekend

I agree that there was no spot burn so we can let that die. Black Falcon is actually a cruise terminal and meat casting festival! Now if I gave the gps coordinates of the hole that's right near there that holds fish all year that would be a spot burn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilymaroo
googan's delight, CCC how to guide
ummm.....spot burn whuut! this is why i didnt think it was a big deal that i said i caught fish in the canal, i mean im sure ya'll already knew about this site.... so dont yell at me, i'll go home.
I wont close this thread yet because I dont need to get the last word or any of that nonsense but i will say the difference with that link you posted oily is that that guy is doing it to make a buck.
You wont get anything from him unless you pay for it.
And its still useless if you dont know how to fish anyway. Alls it really is is an artists rendition of a Captain Seagulls chart.
Lets not get carried away with it. Etiquette should be common sense. The mission here is to learn and try to teach people to help protect the resource.
Try not to personalize it. There were no spot burns here. I edited out a few on someones post because they just seemed too specific although I wouldnt know because I've been to the canal only a couple of times. I do know where to go on what tide however, and I was shown that by the guys on this site who put there time in and were generous enough to share that information.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mully537 View Post
my rock was vacant..... lots of people there ,as expected with the holiday weekend and a good tide in the am .ive seen ugly confrontations in the past and i try to put some distance between myself and others by not fishing the well trodden spots.there is almost always someplace a couple of poles away that will produce as good or better than the popular spots . good fish will be taken there all season ,and the crowds will thin considerably in the next few weeks.(until the fall) P.S stay off my rock!
hi mully are you the guy with the black lab just wondering p.s i dont like your rock i might get my feet wet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 06:47 PM

Anyone that knows me, will tell you, I share info and locations for a reason. The reason needs no further explanation in this thread for it has been covered more than once in the last few years that I have been sharing here. I have organized events, complete with grills, and chow. Missed some prime fishing time making sure the food was cooked or the event was running smooth. I've watched so many people catch their first Bass, First keeper, or learn new strategies I could type for hours explaining.
O.K. so the canal is known internationally as a prime place to find Stripers. Access is better than anywhere else in The Peoples Republic of Taxachusettes. One thing for sure, and bet your house, kids, and wife, on the fact that when you think you have the ditch figured out, it sends you for a loop.
There are maps with every hole, rock pile, and access point printed on it. Every bait shop sells or gives them away with their tide charts. Every one of those shops will advise you to use a certain bait because that is the oner they have the most of in the freezer. They will size you up, and send you to the spot they think you can handle, the one they will not be fishing 1 hour after you leave.
The problem with posting location specific info on a public website, is that it is public. No matter how well known, no matter how old the info is, mention that 3 Bass were caught at the Bridge, or Scussette, or the herring run, 11 days ago, 400 people will think thats the place to fish.
The guy's that have a little bit of knowledge will know how to move on, read the water and find a less crowded spot. The folks that NEED to learn how to read the current, and the water, will sit on the reported hole and crowd out the folks that know when that hole is going to produce.
Kinda like Beavertail Rhode Island. Yeah, I know I can go hammer some Bass there right now, but the average surfcaster with limited knowledge of that beautiful rock pile has no clue how to fish the place. If I post a bunch of pictures of Bass I caught today, 100 people are going to go there, crowd it out, fish it wrong, and possibly die trying.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, If you say, I got fish at the canal, no big friggin deal, tell people you got them at the herring run 4 poles to the west, well then thats a spot burn.
Society is lazy, don't make it easier for that to continue.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Veteran Elite

CCC is no secret at all. This was your 1st fish good job. The next thing you need to do for yourself is not to tell people where your catching (not on an open forum anyway) The canal lights up every year and it doesn't last long. Then you have to do some work. But posting that it's lit up isn't a smart thing to do. If you caught that fish in another spot that had room for 2 people you would have still posted where you got it. I'm not trying to bust balls but just make a point. It's really easy to get excited and hard to keep it on the DL but for your own sake and nobody elses keep your spots quiet 14 miles or room for 2. I fish a town every year and catch big fish the coastline is miles long if I posted the fish and town on this site I'll bet ya a million bucks people would be chasing the report.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Jay, lets tell everyone where cow town is.................................
The local Barnies would wet themselves writing tickets and calling tows!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Veteran Elite

Old 05-28-2009, 09:30 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Well Barney here's your gun with 1 Bullet if you get in trouble shoot yourself
Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 PM

Wellllllllllllllllllll geeeeeeeeeeeeeee Andy, I thought they might be angolan terrorists with a nucular bomb lookin to blow up the stop sign, and ya know whet that would do, huh, huh, people wouldn't know where to stop and then it would be pure anarchy, get it andy, huh, get it?
Think ant bee made some fried chickin tunight? Fried chickin would hit the spot right now, I bet Velma would go for some fried chickin too.
Only thing better'an fried chickin would be chittlins, man chittlins would hit tha spot too.
Fried Okra would go right along with that too.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Cow Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnySniper View Post
Jay, lets tell everyone where cow town is.................................
The local Barnies would wet themselves writing tickets and calling tows!
I keep a ticket in my truck for one spot and put it back on the windsield if needed.
Truth is around the corner from cow town I caught my 2 biggest fish. WITH NO ONE AROUND besides the usual gang. If I ever went there and seen some other people on my rocks it would mean they had to hike to find it google map it or someone told em. But most likely no one is there and if there is it would be only 1 person whom i most likely know and can help em land a big fish.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Lurker supreme

I was out last weekend w/my 11 year old daughter on the canal. We head every other weekend to our "spot" and have a blast. Only schoolies last weekend, which sucked because she had entered RedTops tourney and would have won her age group with a keeper. Oh well, it's not about winning or sometimes even the fishing just hanging out is great. We're hitting lake trout tonight on the Watchusett Res and the canal again next weekend. If you run into us say hey, I'm a big guy and hard to miss.

Mike
Old 05-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Veteran Elite

That's pretty awesome that you and your girl fish the ditch together every other weekend. Hopefully it will pick up again. There was no bait there this morning and hardly anyone had fish. Good luck to you both in coming weeks.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Official Member

Nice job man! we slammed them as well, the action was insaine, Ive not seen acton like that in years! I caught a nice 38" for the table and my buddy landed a sweet 47" The Time fish is here!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Striper Hunter

going down tomorrow night for the first time was wondering if anybody knows any bait shops that are open fairly late probably around 8 30ish down near the canal thanks everyone
Old 05-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar23617 View Post
going down tomorrow night for the first time was wondering if anybody knows any bait shops that are open fairly late probably around 8 30ish down near the canal thanks everyone
You maybe hitting a changing tide around that time and could probably throw some bait. But your best jigging once it starts moving.