Line choice in rough terrain???? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Line choice in rough terrain????

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Throw in a little tongue action for good measure

What happened to Baitrunner man, ya going all professional on us??? Chapstick huh, well at least he didn't call it lip balm ahhhhhhhhooooooooooogaaaaaa!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
What happened to Baitrunner man, ya going all professional on us???
Naw,,, just tired of people thinking I'm named after a reel made by Shimano,,, which is not where the screen name came from.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseystriper
One tip I had found helpful when tying leaders with heavy fluoro (I use 50 and 60#) is to use a tiny bit of chapstick when tying, it helps the knot slide tight. I put a bit on my lips and rub them on the knot before cinching
Thats a pretty good tip right there. Salivary amylase (Saliva) is a digestive enzyme. Im sure it really doesnt matter much as the knot gets washed with water quickly, but hey the knot loses breaking strength at the molecular level by bending so why Knot use the chapstik. Its a huge advantage being confident with your knots IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 11:41 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Thats a pretty good tip right there. Salivary amylase (Saliva) is a digestive enzyme. Im sure it really doesnt matter much as the knot gets washed with water quickly, but hey the knot loses breaking strength at the molecular level by bending so why Knot use the chapstik. Its a huge advantage being confident with your knots IMO.
I don't like to use saliva just for that reason you mentioned. I will sometimes sit down and tie 10, 20 or more leaders of all differnet hooks and configurations. Heck with a high low rig there's 4 knots right there.
Many swear by chapstick for the slim beauty and it makes the Dropper Loop a breeze. These leaders may sit for a week, month or more. With the chapstick the knots slip tight much easier as pulling that loop tight on a palomar with 60# mono/fluoro is a pain is the arse. This tip came from a famous fly maker, many also use it instead of dubbing wax. Just search chapstick and knot tying or even fly tying and you will find many posts.

Oh and throw some of that tounge action my way
Old 07-15-2009, 11:52 AM
First Mate

Quote: "Went out Saturday to test my Stable Icers on the slick rocks (they held up quite nicely by the way)"

Glad to hear it StriperHyper

I will be ordering the Icers in the very near future. When I saw them a few months ago I thought they should work and was going to order then. I then found out you had bought some so I figured I would wait to see how they worked for you.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 PM

I normally use pp for most casting situations as it casts very well. I have used fireline for 3 years now for shore bound tog fishing and its by far the best line for rough terrain. I have had two rods side by side one with 30 fireline and the other with 30 power pro the one with pp would break like dental floss when a fish went for rocks. The one with fireline would hold up and i could actually feel the line dragging across mussle covered rocks in the inlets i fish. The only recomendation is if you plan a trip to go break in the line first fireline is very very stiff but after couple hundred casts is good.