Line choice in rough terrain???? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Young salt

Default Line choice in rough terrain????

So what do u guys use for line when fishing tougher areas such as Montauk, Biddeford Pool or the likes? Went out Saturday to test my Stable Icers on the slick rocks (they held up quite nicely by the way) but I lost 2 lures to fraying/breakage. I'm guessing such areas would call for braid (of course I was using mono) but I wanted to get some thoughts from the guys who are used to battling these conditions. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 04:41 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default Re: Line choice in rough terrain????

65 lb braid. Suffix preferrably. Some times there is nothing you can do to keep it from breaking off though.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:56 PM

For me
Rocks in Montauk I like fire-line.
Everywhere else suffix performance braid except the Hudson where i use mono in the off chance i get to fish it. The rocks there just cut the braid like fiskers do.
I've always liked mono but sometimes the casting distance outweighs the need for abrasion resistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Striper Hunter

50# Sufix and the longest Yozuri Hybrid leader you can comfortably cast without the knot in the guides. Has worked very well fighting fish in the rocks for me and my buddies over the years.
The only break offs we have had happened during the cast when the knots loosened up. Might be that our rocks seem to lack total barnacle coverage.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

When in rocky areas I use a 60lb fluro leader and 50lb PP.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Striper Hunter

50lb mono leader attached to 50lb suffix braid.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 PM

The rocks in Montauk are smooth and round. Whatever yer favorite braid is would be fine there.
If the rocks were covered on barnacles or mussels I'd say go with mono as it's much more abrasion resistant then the braids
Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Cow Catcher

50lb PP Phantom red and 30lb flouro for pluggin and 50lb for eeling or jigging.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:38 AM
Striper Hunter

50# suffix braid with a 60# flo lead. Were I fish is all sharp jagged edges very tough fishing lost two of my favorite plugs last night but it is it be expected in some areas.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:16 PM
NukinFuts

30lb PP or Suffix braid - 2 foot 50lb flouro leader. This has served me very well for many years. A lot depends on the angle of the rock structures, You can get away with a thinner line if you are fishing a gradual rock slope, if it's more vertical, where you need to haul your catch up, chances are your going to rub your line on the rocks more. Length of rod comes into play as well.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:49 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

I have for a few seasons now, used 20# Fireline on my spinner, and braid on my conventional casting reels. No problems.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

use braid but carry a 20# test spool or two of yo-zuri hybrid line. sometimes you have situations where ya wish you were not such a bonehead and had mono/fluoro on the spool. it doesn't take long to dump the braid and spool up yer reel (if you don't have a spare spool already done that is) there are those that would NEVER use mono EVER but that's just being plain silly.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Official Member

I am willing to sacrifice a little distance and rate of sink (current in the Canal) and use 50lb. Big game mono because of it ability to handle the occasional backlash when heaving heavy expensive plugs with my conventional. It also takes quite a beating (abrasion wise) without breaking off. I will change line anytime while fishing if I feel any nicks and keep a 1/4 spool of fresh line with me.To me the mono is cheap enough to respool anytime and as often as I deem necessary. And I do take the old line with me to be disposed of properly.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 AM
First Mate

It's not really my choice but it's whats on my reel. I use 30# PP and tie off to 2 to 3 ft of either 60# Ande or 50 or 60# Fluoro Leader. I have to say it has treated me well. When I respool I think I will go up to 40 or 50# PP or Fireline. Fireline was my choice of line but my local store did not carry it.
I have heard awesome reviews on Trilene Professional Grade Fluorocarbon this is the succesor to the Vanish. It is nothing like the Vanish and has rated as good as and better in certain tests compared to Sunline Shooter and Toray Superhard Upgrade, which tested out as some of the best fluoro. High end FC lines like Sunline Shooter and Toray Superhard Upgrade run on average of roughly twenty cents per yard while a 200 yard spool of twelve pound test Trilene FC costs a grand total of only ten cents per yard.
With all that said I still don't think I like fluor as a main line, too rigid along with too much memory. I used a setup this weekend with fluoro on it and it was a nightmare, wind knots and twists were horrible.

One tip I had found helpful when tying leaders with heavy fluoro (I use 50 and 60#) is to use a tiny bit of chapstick when tying, it helps the knot slide tight. I put a bit on my lips and rub them on the knot before cinching
Old 07-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Pro Staff

Throw in a little tongue action for good measure