Cape Cod Gathering - Page 6 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Cape Cod Gathering

As far as bottom fishing chunk bait goes,,, it's perfectly doable at and near slack tide. When the tide is running strong, you need a LOT of weight to hold bottom. Also, be prepared to get hung up quite often until you find the right amount of weight and get the hang of snatching it up off the bottom w/o snagging. I primarily fish jigs and plugs. A good selection of various weights of jigs to match to changing current speed, some swimmers and some surface plugs make a pretty well rounded arsenal, but don't rule out bait.

Live eels with an egg sinker in front of their nose to help get em down can be deadly.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Striper Hunter

I'm not really a bait fisherman myself, don't have the patience for it, but If some of the other guys want some I could probably bring a bunch.

I've got about 8 in the fridge now and plan to go tonite to a spot where there's been a lot of them.

Brad
Old 06-04-2008, 12:10 AM
in awe of real fisherman

Gunny,
we can certainly go out on Friday and snag a ton of Bunker for everyone...if you think that wise..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 12:11 AM

ya dude, lets rock, finally broke the ice tonight and im ready to get into some heavy fish. im guna prob bring my buddy too if thats cool
Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 AM

I have two free tickets.and My daughter and I are ready to meet you guys and gals.

We are Carolina rednecks so help us out on the first one thanks Bill and Bradley
Canada and US Sounds great. Might be able to make it NP Thanks
Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnySniper View Post
That front moving in on Sunday could very well make things interesting!
I really can't wait...Sunday is my Bday so maybe I can provide some Bday luck for everyone, and because of the long drive and the crappy condition of my civic which some of you had noticed, I gifted myself with a new car! So needless to say I am excited...
Old 06-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Veteran Elite

Pogies would be good to chum with and float chunks. Bring them all.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
As far as bottom fishing chunk bait goes,,, it's perfectly doable at and near slack tide. When the tide is running strong, you need a LOT of weight to hold bottom. Also, be prepared to get hung up quite often until you find the right amount of weight and get the hang of snatching it up off the bottom w/o snagging. I primarily fish jigs and plugs. A good selection of various weights of jigs to match to changing current speed, some swimmers and some surface plugs make a pretty well rounded arsenal, but don't rule out bait.

Live eels with an egg sinker in front of their nose to help get em down can be deadly.....
yup..baitrunner nailed it..slack tide is the easiest time to soak bait on the bottom.. but drifting bait at night can be effective in the fast current...little to no weight...and you dont need to cast very far in the dark . if you want to bottom soak in the current bring some 5,6,7,8oz bank sinkers..and heavy gear. the key is to mix it up a bit untill you find the method that is effective for the spot your fishing. be open to try different things to produce a strike.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Veteran Elite

Good luck on the weekend!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:28 PM

Okay i think this might be dum but whos going from CT and could there be a possible chance of picking me up somewhere? I didnt think i was going to make it but i can if someone can get me. Neone willing to help the striper hunter out? Can neone help me out here lol
Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 PM

Im in. Is anyone coming thru CT or located in SW RI thats going? Can anyone help me out?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Official Member

Do the gatherings last thru the night? I have weekend visitors so I'm going to try to make it for a visit during the day sat. with my son (4) and my buddy and his kids (2&3). So I think I'm going to leave the fishing to sat. night.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Pro Staff

Absolutely. For me the Gathering starts tonight around 11pm. Fishing until 6:30 or 7am, then heading home for my son's second B-Day party. I'll be back with my daughter (3) around 1, hang out and chew the fat (literally and figuratively) until she's had enough. After I take her home, I'll be back to fish through the night until around 6am Sunday morning. I'm sure others will be fishing longer into Sunday, but unfortunately I have prior commitments that must be attended to.

Damn,,, you'd think gas was cheap or something......
Old 06-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Official Member

From Annapolis MD (fished there a ton, still don't know much about fishing other than they can make you smell bad from taking out the hook), lived near the canal for 9 years and have never fished it. More of a boat person and have a spot from shore that always seems to attract me more than the canal.

That said I have been entertained by all of the writing and advice and thought it would be nice to come if a stranger is welcome.

If so I do not have much in the way of a surf rod or shore rod. I have a Penn 750 / 7' Penn rod combo that may work?????? Let me know!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
in awe of real fisherman

Anything will work as long as you have patience, you may not be able to get as far out with that combo, but if you listen to the advice of those of us there they will most likely be able to put you on some potentially productive spots reachable with your gear. Worst case you do not catch anything but have some food, make some friends and talk and learn about fishing...best case you catch a moby and can brag to everyone! So COME ON DOWN!