Cape Cod Gathering - Page 4 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Cape Cod Gathering

The info Email is going out sometime this weekend.
For those that made it last year, we'll meet in the parking lot that we ended up at during the night last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Striper Hunter

I'm in on this one. Some questions though:

#1 Are kayaks allowed in the canal for fishing?

#2 Will we be setting up tents or what?

#3 Do we need to make reservations for the tent sites in advance, and if so, how?

#4 can someone tell me how fast the current gets in the canal? I'm wondering if my yak w/ trolling motor will be able to go against the flow or if I'll have to wait till the tide changes to come back. Thanks.

Should be a great outing. Looking foreward to hooking up with some cows and some fresh fish on the grill , not to mention the great comraderie.

Brad
Old 05-23-2008, 02:05 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

fishing from a boat in the canal is illegal. dont even bother loading it up.
tents are only allowed to be perched at an actual campground. scussett beach state reservation is a stones throw from where we will be, but they have limmited tent sites, mostly an open field for rvs, and campers, reservations need to be done through www.reserveamerica.com or by calling the phone number. you can drive to the bourne scenic park for a tent site, but ide call them first, search bourne scenic park for thier number (my prefered campground).
the current can be deadly...ive seen some large boats struggle against the current. a trolling motor mid tide against the current would be really funny to see for someone watching along the shore, but not too funny for the person holding on for thier life at the helm of the yak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Pro Staff

Hi Brad,
Boat (or yak) fishing IN the canal is prohibited. Shore fishing only. There is a sandy beach near the east end of the canal where it would be possible to launch, but I'm not sure how far around the mouth of the canal that boat fishing is restricted. Too much shipping goes through there for fishing boats to be clogging it up.... The sandy beach is a pretty good walk from the parking lot over soft sand, so a good set of fat wheels would be in order if you were to try to make that trek.
A bicycle (w/rod holder) is a much better tool for fishing the canal than a yak, as it allows you to cover ground quickly along the path and watching for breaking fish to cast to.
There are no camping sites where we will be meeting up, so if you need to catch a few winks, your vehicle is a good bet, or there is lodging closeby... I don't sleep when I'm there....
Old 05-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Pro Staff

Haha,, ya beat me to it Jim
Old 05-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Striper Hunter

There is fishing around/near the canal but as 4290 and baitrunner said not boat fishing in the canal. The water rips through the canal enough so that a 4-6oz jig is needed just to feel bottom, but it does not hold it. You have large ships that go through there that will time the tides as it is difficult for them to make way when fighting the current.

I would not say don't bring the yak but I don't know that area well enough to point you to a specific spot. Stay away from the mouth(s) of the canal though.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:42 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
Haha,, ya beat me to it Jim
you gotta keep an eye out for me..im quick
Old 05-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Pro Staff

Yeah,, I got inturrupted halfway through typing and by the time I came back and finished you'd already posted ..... I'll have some goodies for you at the Gathering next weekend Jim ...
Old 05-23-2008, 04:23 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

sweet.... im hoping for fish most of all.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Pro Staff

I'll be fishing the area tonight/tomorrow and will post a report...

I just typed, then deleted, 5 1/2 paragraphs of reasons that it would be worth the trip, but decided I won't try that hard to talk you into it. Let it suffice to say that I don't think you'll be disappointed .
Old 05-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Striper Hunter

Baitrunner

I read some posts on other strings about fishing the canal, and with so many guys excited about going it must be worthwhile, so I deleted that post. Even if I don't catch any fish I could learn a lot of worthwhile stuff from the rest of you guys. Thanks for the encouragement.

I plan to be there with a lot of jigs, tins, soft plastics (sluggos, shads, etc) and some swimmin plugs to fish the outflow plus some stuff to make wire leaders in case the blues are around.

Brad
Old 05-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Pro Staff

Ahhh,,, that's the stuff Brad! By the way,,, of all the bass I've caught on 6" storm shads, at least 50 or so have been at the canal, sometimes a fish every other cast... Caught 5 at last years canal gathering on 6" storm shads when even live eels weren't getting any hits. Bunker color with a little smelly stuff slathered on...
Old 05-23-2008, 07:01 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I don't think I am going to be able to make this one. I have wedding to work on the 7th and can't really afford to take off. I'll try for the next one.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:37 AM
Pro Staff

Aw,,, too bad. You'll be missed Khary!!

Fished the canal 11pm Friday night into mid morning Saturday. Several dinks at the east end after the AM tide change. Did not connect with anything large.... yet.... Fish hit bucktail jigs on the bottom and Rickski's big white surfster got chomped on by a striper hardly bigger than the plug (that plug has some wicked nice action Rick!). I witnessed 5 keepers taken when I first arrived,,, all on big rubber storm shads. Got into a little bird action in the morning, but couldn't coax any top water hits. Was nice to meet up with BackbayJ and his buddy (Adam?) for a while too.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Veteran Elite

Jake you were right about the crowd near the run. There were 30 people fishing and no fish. A guy came down using a redfin he sanded down and painted with a black sharpie. 5 minutes and a 25lb fish on 14lb test line casting only 15 feet out. He actually gave me one of his ugly custom plugs that don't cast for shit. I got 10 fish and a keeper on it last night in the river. I guess I don't need to spend 20+ bucks on a swimming plug. Look forward to fishing the canal with it. I'm glad you didn't get skunked.