I Got A Question For You Older Members --about Briaded line - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 02-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default I Got A Question For You Older Members --about Briaded line

Iam stuck i am trying to figure what line to order i normally use 40 pound test mono but i want to go to braid this year.

here is my set up i have a 10 foot ugly stick with a eb 80 bait runner that can hold 420 yards of 20 pound mono line

question 1 what braid is best as far as hook setting ..also will circle hooks work better with mono or braid

question 2 how will it affect my casting switching to braid

question 3 will i be able to still use lures when i want to

question 4 how will it affect the eyes of my pole ?

hey jim whats the word on the circle hook regs for this year??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: I Got A Question For You Older Members

no answers?
Old 02-23-2008, 06:22 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hung4wheeler View Post
no answers?
Well, I don't know if 34 counts as old, but I'll weigh in. The number one advantage to braid for me is the ZERO stretch. This means that You'll be able to set the hook easier for greater distances because there won't be any stretch before the line sets the hook. I believe that mono can stretch about 20% if I remember correctly. Secondly, what I really like is that you can use a heavier test and the braid is smaller in diameter which means your real will hold more. You will however have to wrap your spool with either masking tape or electrical tape to give the braid something to "bite" into or the line will spin on the reel and not be able to be reeled in. Circle hooks will work with mono or braid if you use them correctly- that is you set the drag tight enough to pull line off under pressure, but not loose enough to easily be pulled off. Lastly, your guides in the Ugly Stik should be fine. Ugly Stiks are all my girlfriend's dad and grandfather use and they've (we've) been using 50lb. PowerPro for YEARS. Hopes this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 06:28 PM
First Mate

Forgot to mention that you'll probably be able to cast further since the line is of smaller weight and diameter. Also, you can absolutely switch between hook setups and lures. In fact, your lures will dive deeper than if they were tied to mono. As for brands, I personally prefer PowerPro. BTW, for these braided lines, you'll want to use the Palomar as often as possible because lesser knots will pull out if ties with braid. I've been using braids for ten years and have NEVER had a Palomar pull out.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

get a spare spool for your reel or better yet 2 spare spools and keep one spooled with mono and the other with braid as you will need the second braided spool and then the last one to switch back to momo from all your frustration LOL. we will elaborate further after i watch tonights fight.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

ill give it a try .... when i bought my reel it came with a extra spool so i guess iam one step ahead lol
Old 02-24-2008, 03:14 AM

Great info from Gunner and Zim on this

Quote:
1. What braid is best as far as hook setting ..also will circle hooks work better with mono or braid.

2. How will it affect my casting switching to braid?

3. Will i be able to still use lures when i want to?

4. How will it affect the eyes of my pole ?

Hey jim whats the word on the circle hook regs for this year??
Answer 1.
Both mono and braid excel under different circumstances for different reasons. First we look at mono. Stretch ... as much as 15 to 30% more than braid.
(MOO means my opinion only)
MOO ** Pink Ande strong as hell and abrasion resistant will pull a sub out of the water. Stretch is a good thing after a sharp heavy hit so the hook doesn't straighten or rip away from the lip.
Drawbacks. Memory. Will degrade fast if left in the sun. Absorbs water and will sink. Need to change line often. At least once a month if fishing heavy. You have to inspect the first 20 feet for nicks constantly when fishing around rocks. A heavier flouro leader can minimize the damage.

Braid -- small diameter copolymer superlines. Virtually no stretch.
Great for jigging. Extreme sensitivity to every little bump. Good for top water as well because it wont absorb water. Great for distance because it allows you to use smaller diameter for the same amount of test.
Example braid equivalent 8 pound test is 20 pound mono.

Drawbacks. Some reels dont handle braid as well. I dont know about the eb40?
Bites into the backing and can slip. Susceptible to wind knots (actually loop knots that form over the top of the spool from slack in the line)
Tangles are a biotch to take out unless you have patience and a hook or thin prod. Carry an extra spool.
Mystery break offs. Sharp edges will cut it like a razor. Although it is more abrasion resistant than mono.
My preference with braids are fireline smoke and fireline crystal. 14 to 20 pound test.
Heavier test I use sufix performance braid. Love the stuff.
Moo. I hate power pro. Its not the same as sufix although they look alike.
Circle hooks are great for both especially with a baitrunner. All you have to do is reel in.

Answer 2.
Expect to gain 30 to 50 yards casting distance with braid due to the smaller diameter although I can fire 20 pound mono pretty far with a 704 and big pencil.

Answer 3.
Yes. Tie on a mono or fluorocarbon leader using an albright knot to the braid. use a a duolock on the business end or tie directly with a homer rhodes knot or rapala (loop Knot)

Answer 4.
Upgrade from the shakespeare if you can. Best selling rod of all time but not great for plugging with. A cheaper alternative to a high end rod is the tsunami trophy series rod. If it had no markings on it and I didnt tell you what it was you would swear it was decent at least for throwing what its rated for.
The answer depends on the rod guides. The fugi alconite guides on the higher end rods are designed with superlines in mind. Ceramic guides aren't as susceptible as some of the manufacturers suggest. I haven't had an issue with cutting through guides on any of my rods. El cheapos included.
I have had issues with the plastic baitfinders when using bait.
The ceramic sinker slides take care of that issue however.

Answer 5.
No word on circles as law yet. Just proposals that are in vogue these days. We'll find out more as the season approaches.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Surf's Up

thanks jim lol i need to know stuff like this
Old 02-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

thanx guys... iam still in the debating mode on this so i feared was gonna happen MY OKUMA EB 80 has a big spool and can hold 420 of 20 pound test mono line
so now if i want to go to braid i have to explain to the wife why i have to spend 150 bucks on line ...maybe ill start looking for a reel that is made for just braided line.. MONO has never failed me I just didnt like throwing the lures with the 40 pound mono i got no distance at all with it

BOY I NEED TO WAKE UP ...CANT FUNCTION WITH NO SLEEP LOL
Old 02-24-2008, 10:15 AM

Hung.

Braid comes packaged in 125 yard spools for 15 bucks. 300 yards is 30 bucks for Berkley fireline.
Use that on an almost full spool of mono backing to see how you like it.
125 yards is a football field plus some. Most fish will be in close.
Even if you catch one on the end of your cast and she runs, if your confident in your knots you should bring it in.
When your done with the braid reverse it on another reel for even more life if you want.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Bowanna

I've been using braid for about 3 years now. I prefer the power pro. I use a mono backing and that works fine. I also use flouro leader for a little stretch and less visibility for the fish. definately use the polamar knot when tying to swivels, etc., otherwise the knot will just pull out. The sensitivity is very nice with the braid as you will feel everything. The casting is very good, just make sure your line stays tight when you begin reeling onto the spool.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:45 PM
First Mate

I guess I can answer this . . . since I am old.

question 1 what braid is best as far as hook setting ..also will circle hooks work better with mono or braid

Either

question 2 how will it affect my casting switching to braid

Should give you some distance increase in regards to your ability.

question 3 will i be able to still use lures when i want to

Yes and and add a short leader to the braid.

question 4 how will it affect the eyes of my pole ?

Braid will effect the tip eye more . . .as long as your eye is braid friendly.