Heading back - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Heading back

Finally,the work week is at an end for me, I'm going to burn my last 2 v-days to fish, when I get out of here (work) I will be heading back to the canal with enough led to supply the military, I will be bringing 3,4, and 5oz jig heads,some sluggos and swim shads for the jigs,and a couple of 7 and 9" weighted swim shads,,,I will probably fish into the night, come home for a couple hrs sleep , make an appearance for the wife, and head back before sunrise to do it all again,wind things up Sat some time,and if I'm not to beat I may even get some yak fishing in.,,the countdown is on, 5 more hrs to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Heading back

Good luck Shawn!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 PM
First Mate

let us know how you did
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 PM

Man I had a lot of enthusiasm going into this,I was ready to do battle, had plenty of led, leaders,line and everything else I thought I might need,,as soon as I got there some guy said, hey,you should 've been here 2hrs earlier we slammed 'em, he said,I had the biggest fish on of my year and lost it,,but nothing since,,,,, I started throwing a 3oz jig and sluggo,fished all afternoon with only a hand full of schoolies coming by,tide was slack, so I decided to take a break for a couple of hrs, got back to it about 5:pm,,,,,within 20min I lost for jigs,,WTF,,but that's all right, it's expected right, fished till about 2:am,,,,,,nothing,,,but I did manage to loose 3 more Jigs,,,Grrrr,,,,,,,,,,needed to go home and get some sleep,,,,,,,made it back up about 6:am,as soon as I walk to the edge of the canal ,a guy walks up to me and says,you should've been here an hr ago,,we slammed'em,,,Grrr,,,,,,,,,,oh well,the day's just getting started,,,,started jigging ,and jigging and jigging,,jigged until late afternoon,with nothing biting,,,,,,but again,I did manage to loose a new spool of braid and a few more jigs,,,$$$$$$,,,Ditch fisherman alone,must keep the tackle Ind flowing,,,,,I've never lost so much tackle in such a short amount of time as I did these 2 days,boy do I feel whooped,-lol ,,right now I'm a little frustrated and will probably fish fresh tomorrow
(good stormy day coming),but I will regroup and head back next week for more abuse,,,,,,,,as I was walking back to my truck in disgust the 1st 3 fisherman I walked by were all hung up and in the process of breaking off,,,,,,,,,so I must be doing it right
Old 10-18-2007, 11:10 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

welcome to the ditch......ive had $100.00 lost tackle days there before..it definetley takes patience and practice to learn how to snag less often. your well on your way to becoming a true canal rat, and with every endevour you will take home more knowledge about that place.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:59 PM
First Mate

Ah, The Canal.

I will not pretend to know all of the rules of The Canal. I think the biggest appeal is that they can't all be learned, and it can not be mastered. I have had a lot of success there. And it seems the more I know the less I know.

I DO know this, and it is the first rule of The Canal.

Be prepared to lose gear.

The Second rule should be to make your own gear for fishing The Canal.

I am curious why you didn't fish the Slack Tide though. That is mind boggling to me.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:02 PM
First Mate

I am curious why you didn't fish the Slack Tide though. That is mind boggling to me.[/quote]

I was under the impression that at slack tide you are not going to catch anything. I wonder if it makes a difference if you are on a boat or from shore? Anyone...
Old 10-20-2007, 04:31 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

slack tide in the canal is often very productive..ide say probably the best time to soak a chunk too..you snag a lot less due to lack of current pulling your offering under rocks...
Old 10-21-2007, 11:32 AM

Man,what a weekend
Jim,how'd you guy's make Fri night,,,after I got the call from the wife about water in the basement I rushed out of there to get home to find that a downspout blew off the house and broke the back bedroom window,more of a crack than a break,but once the downspout came off,the water coming from where the spout should have been started filling a basin from the basement window,filled it right up and was pouring down the cellar wall,from inside the basement the window looked like a fish tank,I have a lot of band equip amps, drums and such down there, so water in the basement is always an emergency,,,add that to a handfull lost jigs,one spool of line and 1 ford water pump,,,,,,good grief-lol,,,,,,and to top it all off those were my last 2 v-days,,,but I'm not giving up, I will be back there next weekend to give it another try.
About fishing the slack tide,I fished it the day before with no luck and after fishing it that day for 20min or so ,some guy said once the tide gets moving, things should pickup,so it sounded like a good time to take a break.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:28 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

first off..glad you got the water before it got too bad...and im sorry it happened at all..i know through experience that water in youre basement sucks... as for the fishing..mully got a coupple before nap time and jacob found a few fish while mully and i slept in our trucks. we both wanted to fish at first light for some top water action. when you called me i was actually in my truck...i was soaked and needed to put on some dry clothes..then i slept till about 4.. the 2 1/2 to 3 hour nap was just what i needed to get me through all of yesturday. mully was on the move just after 4 to another area.. so i tagged along. i thought baitrunner would have left by then, but his truck was still there and he was still workin the canal like a trooper. the top water action was flat..a few fish broke here and there. i had to be home by noon, so i fished untill just past 9..stopped at the breakfst nook for an omlett and got home just in time. mully called me shortly after he left to let me know if i had the time to try another area where there were a good number of breaking fish..but just after i hung up with him..something really interesting was happening where i was. there were two big fish..swimming with thier backs just at the surface up and down a small rip that was literally ten feet out from shore..i think they were working as a team...they were there moving back and fourth for a good twenty minutes...i tried like hell to get em to take what i had in my tackle bag..the swim shad i threw in from of em got slapped by a tail once..so i stopped dead and let it drop like it was wounded..but the bass never came for it...i had time to try a few lures..they were there that long...but they wanted nothing i had..i dont know if they were feeding or not..but it was really cool to see..it looked like they were corraling bait like a herd of sheep..who knows..maybe they were not bass at all. it was good to meet you and im kinda dissapointed that the monsoon rain and wind made for a less social fishng experience. ill let you know next trip..maybe the weather will cooperate then...
Old 10-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Lunker

cool stuff jim im sorry i missed it . had a great time ,wish it was a little busier fish wise for you guys.good to meet sean and jacob too.you all are the real deal to stick it out through that crappy weather.and ...,like me you probably would have stuck it out if it was 30 degrees colder.glad you got to rescue you eq. sean. and glad you got some fish baitrunner.get some bikes and lets do it again.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

fishing with jacob in da rain

Old 10-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Pro Staff

Here's a photo of Jimi4290 fishing (i mean sleeping) at the canal...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jimi4290fishing.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	3585  
Old 10-23-2007, 09:20 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

hey...that was a much needed nap. i then fished again from about 4:30..till just after 9am..i would have been a dangerous ride home if i didnt sleep some...

good one bait...
Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Pro Staff

Sorry I couldn't help it. I came up to get some coffee out of my truck and saw your windows all fogged up. I knew Mully said he was going to go catch a few winks. I was a little concerned until I saw Mully's windows fogged up too,,, at least you guys were in separate trucks,