no results HELP!!!! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Kayaking Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Kayaking Stripers A forum for the YAK'rs out there.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Striper Hunter

Lightbulb no results HELP!!!!

Okay so my girlfriend and I Just started kayaking for stripers this year. On our first trip out on 04/28/09 (groton ct) I managed to catch a 27" and she caught a 18" striper, well we have gone out every weekend since then and have been skunked. We have fished in the cape cod bay near the canal, the other end of the canal in buzzards bay, newport,ri in two differant spots, and on the providence river to no avail. We have tried mack chunk, eels, sand worms on tubes, and some other lures. If anyone knows any good spots around, and maybe some help on if I should get some special line and what baits are good for these locations. it would be greatly appritiated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: no results HELP!!!!

What are you targeting / looking for when you are out?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Well ower prime target is stripers but I am also interested in thresher sharks out of the yak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 11:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Seeing as this is a stripers board I had assumed stripers anyways. What I really meant is what things are you looking for that will tell you that the fish are there?

I am assuming being in a kayak that you are staying relatively close to shore
Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you won't get specific spots from anyone (and if they were posted i would delete them promptly) i know you are asking for a general location. fluorocarbon leaders "i assume your using" but moving around with those things can spook off the fish. pick your spot and anchor up and wait for the tide/fish to come. you would preferably wanna have a jig/lure moving from upcurrent back towards fish waiting in what's called "a feeding lane", in and around ledges and chanells. drifting a chunk or head in the current is another idea or livelining if at all possible. moving a lure or jig near and or around a fish to try and get it to hit it when it is in a feeding lane is a low percentage application. god, i wish i could remember chit all the time while i'm fishing.. seems we all get caught up in the moment and fish. try utilizing stealth and less movement. fishing at night would amp up your percentage of hookups but during the day? these fish will be in a mode to feed based on the conditions. fast current fast fish. slow water - relaxed fish. a slow moving jig in slow water and a relatively faster moving lure in fast current. the jig will move with the proper movement like in the canal and or in a longshore current near a rip. eels are a no brainer at night with your yak. working eels towards outflows and creeks and moving them slowly back to you can be the best way to lock into a cow. enjoy the hunt..

Old 06-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Talking Re: no results HELP!!!!

OK so I knew nobody likes to give up spots, and I was just looking for some general ideas of areas that are fast enough for stripers but slow enough for a yak. But anyways I usually look for a rip, or rocks. where can I find depth maps of the areas i am fishing? I usually stay within a half a mile or so from shore.I try to get out about 45 minutes or so before dawn and spend the day fishing planning on waiting for nightfall but am usually too discouraged to stay past 4 or 5 pm. It always seems like the ocean is so BIG, and most of the time I find myself casting tward the shore or jettis or just drifting some chunk or eels. How do you determine weather a specific ripis good to fish not knowing the depth?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Striper Hunter

oops Also I was wondering what you "liveline" fresh macks? pogies? I was always affraid I would end up with some darn blues!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Striper Hunter

I have found depth maps at the bait and tackle shops and also Bass Pro stores have laminated maps of many areas. Too bad there's not a way to hook up a depth finder to your kayak ...or maybe there is...I don't know.

I think what I'd do if you are putting in at the same area all the time is take notes on structure and tide and time of day and try a lot of different presentations in that area. Find what works. Then maybe take a break during the day and come back at night.

I don't know about livelining as I have never done that
Old 06-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thept View Post
Too bad there's not a way to hook up a depth finder to your kayak ...or maybe there is...I don't know.
Oh but there is ,,, and yes, that's a GPS with nautical charts as well.

Livelining from the yak is easy. I always bring a snag hook and a sabiki rig with me just in case I mark some good bait activity.

If the blues are around, it doesn't matter whether you're using live bait or artificials. They'll eat anything.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Pro Staff

Check out some of the tidal estuaries along the coast. They can be great places to explore in the kayak in the spring. If you time the tides right, you can ride the current up the river, then back down when it turns around
Old 06-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Striper Hunter

New TV series.....pimp my yak.com

Old 06-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Striper Hunter

wow, nice set up on the yak!!! And great idea about the tidal rivers, I wasnt sure if those would be good spots but I'll have to give it a try. I was looking online at portable fish finders and they look pretty cheep, has anyone used one? and if so would you recomend it?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

don't skimp on a cheap hand held p.o.s. when you get one they will tell you one of several places for the transducer mount.
if you get one don't get a fishfinder/gps combo. get separate units like jake has as if the one unit goes then your out both ways.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Official Member

Had the same problem wit sporadic fishing. The more you fish an area you will find your own spots jus gotta do the work. I troll miles of shore in my kayak using slugos. Whenever I catch one I take note of where it was caught time of day,tide,depth etc.. I have a hummingbird on my yak hard wired not portable and it works great. Definitely worth the money. It also helps to ask local bait shops about spots and talking with sum old timers. Get a chart look for big drops in depth and fish the rocks. I use white slugsos or chunk frozen herring. Occasional buck tails of it those t work. Look for birds and moving current. Good luck man
Old 03-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Fishslayer

Denhog,
The Kid and I have been Kayak fishing for about 2 years. We fish creeks and lakes in an Old Town Twin Otter, and the Bay and rivers in a Malibu 2. I spent last week doing all the research on affordable Fishfinders/sonars for Kayaks. I have talked to a few Yakers, and reviewed various products. On Friday I ordered a Humminbird 160 PT for $129.00. With this unit you do not need a 12 v deep cycle battery. Also, Humminbird sells a scupper whole transducer for the sit on top Yaks, if the suction cup doesn't hold well to the ocean kayak. Here is the link to the unit.
http://www.basspro.com/Humminbird-Pi...00004/-1542665

I will post some reviews on this site once I have used it a few times. The other thing I liked about this unit is that it will be easy to move from one Yak to another.

Good luck!
Harry The Kid's Dad