Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Trout Season

Tags
season trout
9K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Dry_Hard_Fly_Man 
#1 ·
Fishing season opens in PEI in one week, can't wait fresh trout!!!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Went fishing for the first time (this year/season) since last striper season yesterday at the Little River in Gorham. Lots of hiking involved, fell down twice, almost got into it with some a$$hat in the middle of the woods who apparently thought he owned the whole river, only caught one fish (14" brookie) and it STILL beat the hell out of being at work. Striper season is right around the corner though, gonna start hitting the river/marshes early this year, thinking May 1st if the water temps reach the 50 degree mark (or close to it) as I suspect they might!!! :banana:

StriperHyper ~ Will

P.S. Hey Wild Dave long time no talk man, let me know if ya cross the border into Maine this year!!!!

#9 ·
Thanks Ghilie, Notice the rod break on the last photo. New rod 3rd day of use....LOL Cabelas is sending a new one. Hope these rods have some backbone.......they have a 25 year warranty.....they will get sick of sending them with the trout we have up here. Dave

#17 ·
Sounds good!You'll have to come down my way again, I still have not had a day since with that kind of wind!I hear they're gettin a lot of bass in the rivers in N.S. right now.I might have to go down.That's cool that you guys are gettin Bass in PEI.DFO doesn't have a clue when it comes to Bass.Hard to say where they came from.I got some kind of trackin device out of the stomach of a Bass, tryin to figure out where it came from.

#18 ·
Nice speckles Wild Dave! I've been to the island a few times but have never fished there. What sort of tackle were you fishing those on? If you're ever in NS in and around Halifax, it would be good to hook up and cast a few. I'm fishing Shad and sea-run speckles at the moment. Gotta hit the stripers shortly.

J

#23 ·
need alittle help, the lake i fish the bigger fish are extremely hard to catch, there moreless lazy, anyone have any ways of bringing those trout closer to my line lol, worm works yeah but it doesnt produce a big trout, i use a sliver spinner with red beeds on it does a live minnow produce the big one? any tips on how to get the lake monsters to bite? :drive:

#25 ·
Yeah a boat is needed for the biggins and a finder is great for finding depth, bait fish and bottom structure if you don't know the lake. Early season they come to shore a lot but as the water warms the deeper they go. Cheapest way is either jig, or use an ounce or 2 sinker on braid for minimal drag on the line; keeps it deep and won't bow as much as you troll. Make a dropper loop a few feet up the line and add you leader to that with a loop to loop connection. You can use a three way swivel too, but I did say the cheapest way. Also with your offering above the sinker, you'll feel a strike much easier. Small spoons work great for most trout situation. Add a nightcrawler to the treble hook, and you're good to go; or if you can catch some local forage take the treble off and use a J hook with bait holding barbs; run it strait so the spoon works properly too much drag/weight on the back and it won't run correctly. Start at the head of the lake around a river or stream that's entering it; the water's cooler and more oxygenated. Any kind of inlet or outcropping offers funneling/ambush points for fish. Early morning before dawn if you can swing it, or at or after nightfall if legal in your area. The hotter it is the deeper they are and less likely to feed (as a general point). Hot water holds less oxygen, so trout will not be near the surface on hot sunny summer days making lures useless without a downrigger/diver of some kind. (or just jig for the buggers with bait added to the hook ~ works great).

#24 ·
Are you fishing in a boat?Do you have a fishfinder?If so look for dropoffs,humps etc, to first locate the fish.Big lazy fish can be difficult.Try a variety of baits/lures.I've had the best luck in the evening.

#26 ·
thanks for the info. yea i use a boat , its a tricky lake unpredictable and strange. about 100 - 120 feet deep, gravel bottem, i use a fake minnow, but ive been told using a live minnow and a hook and bobber works best if you drop it deep, its infested with yellow perch ... theres land lock salmon in it too, one was caught 8 pounds 42 inch i sh22 you not, a three way swivel you say? i dont got a fish finder, but theres drop offs and what not, from shore out its eight feet deep then it drops to about 30 feet and keeps getting deeper, and theres and underwater island you can stand on it about 3 feet of water but then drops of to no mans land lol, ive tryed everything, i just need a soild awnser thanks for the help above any more help would be great.

#28 ·
If yellow perch are common use them as bait. In big deep lakes forage is so abundant that the big guys rarely need to come up for your shiaite. You have to find them, get it down to them, and make it easy for them... They don't get that big by wasting all their energy chasing after healthy food all day. Grab a yellow perch pattern lure; again smaller tend to work better for trout (generally). You'll need a diver or heavy weights to get down deep and if you use this method use a shallow lipped lure that won't dive too much; here you want the diver or weight to do the work getting it down; in fact some divers even flip and resurface if the lure is too heavy or dives too much; you want it to trail behind not beneath. And fish it as slow as possible while still imparting action on the bait.

A method I've recently learned of is a mooching set up which looks great for large salmon (although I have yet to try it myself). Just do a google search for mooching rigs to get an idea of the technique. Can't say for sure though as it seems like an active fishing technique and salt water fish tent to chase down their meals more readily than lazy fresh water cows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.