Dedicated Jigging Rod CC Canal - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 06-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Official Member

Smile Dedicated Jigging Rod CC Canal

Hi,
I was interested in suggestions for a rod blank for the cape cod canal. I would use it strictly for jigging 3 oz up to 6 oz. Looking for 10 ft, spinnning, 2 pice setup, and dont want a multi purpose rod. I see alot of people used to reccomend a su 1209 but am not sure if these still exist.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Poseidon Custom Rods

Default Re: Dedicated Jigging Rod CC Canal

do you prefer glass or graphite or even composite?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Official Member

Good question. The truth is I dont know. What were the RS su 1209 or the allstar 1209. I only ask because from alot of older posts people swore by them for fishing big heavy jigs in the canal and it seems like they were rated for 4 -10 oz. I have a cheapo lami sk 10 mhs which works ok with plugs but dont really like the way it jigs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 05:52 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

To be Honest man i have a heavy as hell Tica I use to jig in the canal. It throws up to six ounces with out a problem. It is sensitive because it is like a meat stick and I run heavy braid on it. I know there is little give in the tip when i want to bounce something off the bottom. I am no expert on canal fishing though. I fish there but I am not a ditch guy all the time.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Pro Staff

My go-to rod for heavy jigs in the canal is an 11' AFAW 6nbait rod with a conventional reel. Works great for me, however like Mark, I only fish the canal on occasion and you should in no way view me as an authority on the subject.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Official Member

Still quite a few All Star 1209 blanks around it's the 1208 that is hard to find. The 1209 is tough as nails and slightly heavy but it has a ton of power for jigging the Canal. PM me I know where there are a few still around if you deceide to go that route.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 PM
First Mate

rainshadow 1207su 1-4.That's what i use.I've lobed 6oz bucks but usually stay with 4oz.I know you didn't want a combo rod but this rod throws plugs well.Not the greatest for jiging pencils but with some practice it does a real good job.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Official Member

I know I am a year late for a response haha but I have a su1209 for jigging the canal. I wouldnt even think of getting a new jig rod as this has the balls to throw anything you want with ease and can haul in big fish. You can really put everything into a 5 oz jig, sebile, or big shad and it wont feel as though the rod cant handle it