Change in herring law this year - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws State game thief and Poacher hotlines / U.S. State Trailering Laws / Registration & Guidelines / Regulations / DNRs / Wildlife fish and game / and other govermental agencies / Park service Pass / Fees / News , fishing bills, conservation, regulations pertaining to the striped bass

Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Change in herring law this year

I only catch as many that I need for the day.So 100 is way to many.Jig them as needed as the water warms up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Official Member

I've gotten herring for other people and people have done the same for me
we fill the bait tanks and the guys use them some don't have time to scap so it's nice to have bait for all. We don't buy bait we don't sell it. Bait shops sell as many as they want hunderets comm. netters millions of lbs . So Tuna and BB you would go after the little guy just like big goverment does take from the blue collar guy tax ciggs tax beer sin tax on and on. Outlaw fishing North off the GW brige cause thats the breeding grounds. Thats what table is being set then the gun get reg. then the come and get it because of new rules. Two fluke over 21" in NY for two months. I could go on forever with this rant but you wouldn't get it. So good Luck to you enjoy striper fishing as long as you can before it to gets banned.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

I have no problem with taking them if your going to use all of them. If your getting them for your buddies that great, i do the same thing ! I was just stating that 100 IS A LOT !!! If some guys are just taking as many as they can get with out thinking about it.

Tight lines Finny

BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Official Member

I really do not think myself hot tuna or bassinbrian meant to say they wanted to impose a limit.They and I were stating that we do not need to use that many herring in that time period.I have 2 bait tanks at my dock and only fill them when needed.They die off to easy.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Official Member

My son and I only bring 6 or 8 when we go out I just get tight with the world today my bad. Plus my bride wouldn't let me go scappen tonite
We are trying a pool pump this year TK cause they do die off, BB
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Striper Hunter

Keep in mind guys that your are mostly talking about fishing with Live herring.
Chunk Bait guys like myself tend to use more because of the damn eels/cats.
When you have 4 guys on a boat and the cats/eels won't leave your bait alone you use more bait. I wish it was as simple as saying Mr. Eel please leave my bait alone but it doesn't work like that. I do however fish Live herring to at a times where I might use 6 or 8 a day. Some days when I chunk with 4 guys in the boat we have gone though 35 bait in a day. Never even close to 100/day! The real problem with the herring is the damn ocean trawlers pulling in the river herring that co-mingle with the sea herring. The
river herring are discarded as bycatch. The DEC/ASMFC promised to look into this at the Dec. 8th meeting in Staatsburgh as they are now aware that this is a problem and is another factor to some extent in the decline in the river herring populations.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:45 PM
just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellabella View Post
my boat is going in castleton boat launch next week and i was wondering if I were to go right out from there can I catch herring easily like you can up to albany on a sabiki. or would I have to travel a bit further north to get em to bite the sabiki? thanks jon
The last couple of years I have fished with a friend right across from that launch and caught plenty of herring with sabiki. Also caught my first striper there.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwicks View Post
The last couple of years I have fished with a friend right across from that launch and caught plenty of herring with sabiki. Also caught my first striper there.

thanks my boat goes in monday I can't wait!!