The Saltwater License and why its coming. - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws State game thief and Poacher hotlines / U.S. State Trailering Laws / Registration & Guidelines / Regulations / DNRs / Wildlife fish and game / and other govermental agencies / Park service Pass / Fees / News , fishing bills, conservation, regulations pertaining to the striped bass

Old 06-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Official Member

Default Re: The Saltwater License and why its coming.

Well east coast buddies...Be very aware of where the money goes,,A few years back, we west coast ( california ) were paying about $40 ayear plus about $5 for a steelhead stamp, & along came a striper stamp for $5..Now many of us figured that this might possibly help our declining striper population... But the stripers keep declining along with the water going south to make a few Southern californians rich..Then lo & behold , we find out the stamp money was'nt going to the fishery but to other projects the state needed...Well , we did'nt stand for that & protested & they stopped the striper stamp...So the following year , they brought out a Bay inhancement stamp....$5...this is required to fish inland bays includuing rivers up a few miles..The fishery continues to decline....stripers considered a trash fish by DFG , despite all the fight we put up ..The salmon season Closed all year due to poor fish counts...So be aware before your wonderful fisery has the same results.. We have to deal with the water bandits down south who donate $ to the politions...I'm sure you have same problems with the commercial fishery doing the same thing...I've seen your wonderful states R.I. & Mass this June & would be appalled to see the same thing happen to your fish...Keep up the good fight..Your friend at the west coast...Gregorjim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

cannot see how they were able to get away with using monies for other things. perhaps a lawsuit against them for that would've cost more than the collection so it was killed to appease the masses. i am sure they were not suppose to use money slotted for that anywhere else but i guess it's true if you say it was. just another (oh by the way, you must pay additional for this and that) may just be in the cards for us too. glad to hear your response and input G.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:47 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

I haven't been in California that long but even so I don't see the fishing license being enforced......feel like I'm the only guy who dished out 40 bucks for one

Ayways gregorjim.....you said that Stripers are considered a trash fish by the DFG????? What's that all about?
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Official Member

The DFG don't recinize the stripers as native fish as they were brought here from back east many years ago by train...Took two trips before they finally survived the trip... Water wars which devistate our delta & send stripers , smelt etc down south in canals with the water for growers in Southern Cal .Lots of this fishery gets pumped into fields for watering crops..They've found very small fish in the fields when examined..Looks like they get water & our fish fertilizer at the..same time . Now when we fight for the fishery , growers say the salmon have declined because the aggressive stripers are eating them..They also donate money to political people running for office , Governor etc...And who do you think appoints the DFG. or pushing for more & more water to the south...WE keep fighting to stop the flow south, mainly with endangered species acts ( such as delta smelt ) which should have been a no brainer ? But I guess thats only for the Tax Payer....& not the few individuals who continueto get rich with cheap water rates & costly crops...So the DFG does very little to help the fishery or inforce the poaching going on. It's really a sad situation to see such a wonderfull fishery go down the drain , & see the government do nothing aboutit..To think we had aboutAbout 7-10 million stripers & tons of salmon . all co-existing together..until the water wars started & now we see the results...We keep trying to fight in courts, but to no avail so far....Jim
Old 06-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorjim View Post
The DFG don't recinize the stripers as native fish as they were brought here from back east many years ago by train...Took two trips before they finally survived the trip... Water wars which devistate our delta & send stripers , smelt etc down south in canals with the water for growers in Southern Cal .Lots of this fishery gets pumped into fields for watering crops..They've found very small fish in the fields when examined..Looks like they get water & our fish fertilizer at the..same time . Now when we fight for the fishery , growers say the salmon have declined because the aggressive stripers are eating them..They also donate money to political people running for office , Governor etc...And who do you think appoints the DFG. or pushing for more & more water to the south...WE keep fighting to stop the flow south, mainly with endangered species acts ( such as delta smelt ) which should have been a no brainer ? But I guess thats only for the Tax Payer....& not the few individuals who continueto get rich with cheap water rates & costly crops...So the DFG does very little to help the fishery or inforce the poaching going on. It's really a sad situation to see such a wonderfull fishery go down the drain , & see the government do nothing aboutit..To think we had aboutAbout 7-10 million stripers & tons of salmon . all co-existing together..until the water wars started & now we see the results...We keep trying to fight in courts, but to no avail so far....Jim
I don't want to rant on & on , but you east coasters have to really be aware of your great fishery & how it can easily be affected by pollution, spawning grounds elimated, baitfish overfished & sent to foreign countries ,etc..Remember how east coast bass were over fished commercially & almost wiped out...Finally brought back with slot limits, no commercial fishing etc,,,,,& I guess your men in charge did'nt get it? They started the Com fishing & I heard your baitfish were in some overfishing trouble also....All I can say is DON'T let them get a foot hold again on your fishery or you'll be traveling as we do for fishingtrips....Make sure everything is done right with monies allocated...Your concerned friend on the west coast...Jim
Old 06-17-2008, 02:37 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Good post Jim.....people don't realize how great the fishing is on the East coast......people travel all throughout the world in search of exotic fish which is great....but I believe the best fishery in the world is on the Atlantic coast.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Official Member

Hey Jim,

I fished in Southern California a few months ago and had to pay $13 for a one day license, and having fished on both coasts, I'd have to say you are on the money with your post. I always thought we had it bad here on the east coast, but between the MPA's and the current regs your facing you guys have it tough.

I looked at all of the licensing requirements at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fish...shdescrip.html and I was really surprised to see that CA now charges an extra $12 a year if you want to fish with a second rod! I wonder how long they had to think to come up with that one.

I think we all need to take a look at what's happening there because it's just a matter of time before it spreads here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorjim View Post
I don't want to rant on & on , but you east coasters have to really be aware of your great fishery & how it can easily be affected by pollution, spawning grounds elimated, baitfish overfished & sent to foreign countries ,etc..Remember how east coast bass were over fished commercially & almost wiped out...Finally brought back with slot limits, no commercial fishing etc,,,,,& I guess your men in charge did'nt get it? They started the Com fishing & I heard your baitfish were in some overfishing trouble also....All I can say is DON'T let them get a foot hold again on your fishery or you'll be traveling as we do for fishingtrips....Make sure everything is done right with monies allocated...Your concerned friend on the west coast...Jim
Old 06-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Official Member

Angry Re: The Saltwater License and why its coming.

as far as the $5 license that was spent on other issues than the stripers, Nothing was done !! No one held accountable...Just melts tru the papers like it never happened...Then the bay & river stamp for $5...& as you say , another stamp for a second rod...You would think there would be adequate wardens available to protect the fishery, but we only get replys that there's not enough wardens to respond... SO much to the CAL TIP phone number they want you to call...Where in the *@(^% did the money go? The original story on the water wars is a group of So californian businessman bought up large ammounts of desert land east of Los Angeles for almost nothing..Then came the political machines in to deliver OUR water south in the canals... The ammount of water depleted our delta flushing action, marshes , baitfish etc...At same time these 13 GENTLEMEN have & continue to make tons of $ with the transformed desert land... And now want more water delivered south...It's all politics & money.....AND NO ONE IS ACCOUNTABLE !! Jim
Old 06-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

There is absolutely no way anyone can say anything to make me feel good about a Saltwater Tax.
Federal dollars (our tax money) is already being squandered on B.S.
I was a commercial fisherman when the 200 mile limit was imposed. The day it started we woke up on George's Banks (yellowtailing) to find a flotilla of Spanish fishing boats fishing along side. when we reported to the C.G. about the situation, we found the response was "They have their Federal Permits."
The thought was to protect our fishery for American Fishermen,,,, in reality it was for the Federal Government to make more tax dollars with international licenses.
How about after WW1 & WW2, Korea, Viet Nam, etc. all the tax increases for war materials,,, after the wars did the taxes go down? NO! Now in Iraq they say there's no money? Where is the still taxed prior war's money going?
Commercial Fisherman are taxed to keep tabs on the fish,,, Now they want to tax us for the same thing?
still paying farmers not to grow wheat,, why, when so many people are starving around the world? If the farmer's can't make money growing wheat don't you think they're smart enough to change crops? Of course they already did, they grow something other on the land they are being paid not to grow wheat on. Like a double payday?
Federal agencies are as smart with money as a chimpanzee!
Recreational fishing tax? NO!
For the state to do it is even more disgusting. Look what they've done with the Deer, Pheasant, and State Waterfowl taxes! Not much.
Public rights of ways are being closed off by the well to do and the state refuses to take charge and keep them open. One year they increased the cost of fresh water fishing so they can keep maintaining the public fishing areas. The same year they did away with trash cans and trash removal!
Charlestown Breachway's "Camping area" is another. ALL that land was donated to fishermen (not tourist camping & beaching). It was a spot for local fishermen to go and fish without worrying about bothering a bather. A spot where one could fish and take a nap in their vehicle or home made camper. Now it's "Factory made self contained units only" for camping. My sportsman's tax dollars built the boat launch, and maintain. But you're not allowed to go there unless you've a factory camper and or boat trailer. if you want to launch a canoe, kayak, etc. you're off limits! From the parking area, you could walk / drive inland for some good flat fishing. Now they do all they can to discourage it and even have to old trails overgrown so you can't walk there with family and picnic things for a day with the kids. And on top of all that, everything (maintenance and such) is farmed out to an out of state corporation! Even the jobs were given away!
It's all disgusting. VERY disgusting. Areas closed, simple things not allowed, private state owned fishing sites, Federally maintained breachways that only the rich nearby property owners are allowed to enjoy (Quonny - wall is posted).
No, I'm not expecting ANYTHING positive from this politically motivated money making scheme of recreational taxation.
Land of the free? Sure, if you're an illegal alien. Wonder how many of them will buy the tax thing?
Enough SHEEPLE! We need some wolves on our side for awhile.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:50 AM

More & More There Bringing An End to A Great Sport. Lets Face It With Fee Increases On Fuel,Oil,Regs,Bait And Last But Not Least Boats The Politicians Need Even More Money. Look At The Quotas There Putting On Offshore Boats. Those Guys Are Forced To Fish Certian Days Certian Size With Less Crew Onboard When Is This Goverment Going To Smarten Up & Play Ball With The Working MAN
Old 06-22-2008, 06:45 PM

National - National Saltwater Angler Registry Proposed Rule --
Press Release

NOAA Fisheries Service is seeking comment on a proposed rule that requires anglers and spearfishers who fish recreationally in federal ocean waters to be registered before fishing in 2009.The rule would also require registration by those who may catch anadromous species anywhere, including striped bass, salmon and shad that spawn in rivers and streams and spend their adult lives in estuaries and the ocean.
The proposed rule satisfies the National Academy of Science National Research Council recommendations to establish a national database of saltwater anglers, and meets the requirements under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act. The proposed rule is a part of a larger initiative of NOAA Fisheries Service to improve the quality and accuracy of data on marine recreational fishing and catches. The registry will also help measure the economic effects of recreational fishing on the national and local economies.
NOAA may exempt anglers from registration if they already have a state-issued saltwater fishing license or registration, and the state provides sufficiently complete information to place in the national registry. In certain instances, anglers in states participating in regional surveys of marine recreational fishing may also be exempted. The new rule allows states to apply for exemptions.
States on the West Coast (including Alaska), the Gulf Coast, and the South Atlantic offer saltwater fishing licenses. Hawaii and the states from New Jersey to Maine do not.
Fishermen would be required to be registered annually and NOAA will not charge a registration fee in the first two years. Beginning in 2011, the annual fee will be an estimated $15 to $25 per angler. Anglers under the age of 16 would be exempt from registering and fees would be waived for indigenous people, such as members of federally recognized tribes.
Anglers who fish only on licensed party, charter, or guide boats would also be exempt, since these vessels are surveyed separately from the angler surveys. Also, persons who hold commercial fishing licenses or permits, and are legally fishing under them, will be exempt from the registration requirement.
For the last 28 years, NOAA Fisheries Service has conducted recreational fishing surveys through random telephone interviews with residents living in coastal counties. NOAA and its regional and state partners conduct an extensive program of dockside interviews of anglers to obtain data on their catch.
The national saltwater registry will enable surveyors to interview only those people who fish, and will reach all anglers, not only those who live near the coast. To read the proposed rule, go to http://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov.
Comments on the proposed rule will be accepted until August 11, 2008 and should be mailed to: John Boreman, Director, Office of Science and Technology, NOAA Fisheries Service, 1315 East-West Highway, Silver Spring, MD 20910, Attn.: Gordon Colvin. Comments may also be submitted electronically at http://www.regulations.gov.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:45 PM

National Oceanic and AtmosphericAdministration
50 CFR Part 600
[Docket No. 071001548
–7827–02]
RIN 0648
–AW10

Marine Recreational Fisheries of the United States;
National Saltwater Angler Registry Program

AGENCY
National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Commerce.

ACTION
Proposed rule; request for comments.

SUMMARY
NMFS proposes regulations to implement section 401(g) of theMagnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (MSA). The regulations would establish a national registry of recreational fishers fishing in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), for anadromous species throughout their range or for Continental Shelf fishery resources beyond the EEZ. It also would exempt persons from that requirement if licensed by a state that provides registration data determined to be sufficient for the agency’s needs. The requirement is intended to improve existing angling effort surveys in order to improve their efficiency, to reduce possible sources of bias and to improve confidence in survey results by anglers and fishery managers.

Comments must be received by August 11, 2008.

ADDRESSES
You may submit comments, identified by RIN 0648–AW10, by any of the following methods:

• Electronic submissions: Submit all electronic public comments via theFederal eRulemaking Portal http://www.regulations.gov
• Fax: 301–713–1875, Attn: Gordon Colvin.
• Mail: John Boreman, Director,
Office of Science and Technology,
NMFS, 1315 East West Highway,
Silver Spring, MD 20910,
Attn: Gordon Colvin.

Instructions: All comments received are a part of the public record and will

generally be posted to http://www.regulations.gov without change.
All personal identifying information (for example, name, address, etc.) voluntarily submitted by the commenter may be publicly accessible. Do not submit confidential business information or otherwise sensitive or protected information. NMFS will accept anonymous comments.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:33 PM

The fees —
Where will the money go?
It gets sucked into the U.S. Treasury's general fund. There it gets commingled (read: lost) with a few trillion other dollars.
This is the one time that I have to agree with Ronald Reagan, who said the most terrifying words in English are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
It is still possible, however unlikely, that the Division of Marine Fisheries can make arrangements that would buy enough time to make legislative action possible. A state program would supercede the federal and at least keep licensing fees on Beacon — and not Capitol — Hill. But the clock is ticking.
Do we need a better management plan? Probably. The existing survey program consists of randomly dialed numbers of people with listed phone numbers in coastal towns. Call 'em up, ask if they've been fishing lately. Random numbers. I'm not kidding. We're talking about inefficiency that would shock a Cuban bureaucrat.
Are there positives to a registry? Maybe. But you can write laws until the cows come home, it will always be the actions of millions of individual fishermen who determine the outcome. Just as they did with the incredible striped bass comeback.
Rob Conery
Cape Cod times
Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

no matter what...WE THE PEOPLE ARE GONNA GET SCREWED!!!!! our country cant enforce laws we have...think about it..any money raised WILL eventually get used to support an illegal alien bastard factory who speaks no english...positive support of our fisheries WILL take a back seat....when we let the government take the money in the first place we already lost the argument.. we will never have any say on how its spent.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Official Member

Accountability ..... this is becoming my favorite word. Not only for the politicians and the fish & game, but also for us. We have to be accountable to support local politicans that share your views on your great fishery. Big business donates money and helps with campaign funds, etc. Believe me, this pays off for them, as you can see in our California water wars. You need to support the politicans that have your views and have to go against other politicans for the same office that do paybacks for the campaign funds. You have a great organization on the East C,oast with capable people in charge to show you the right direction, but you have to also help financially or with leg work (campaign ads, brochures, etc). This will pay off. It is our way of keeping or getting a good politican in office and keeping him there. You also have to attend the DFG meetings in your area to show them that you are fully involved. More people attending meetings will be impressive. Sometimes they already have their minds made up prior to the meeting. But you must do your share if you want your fishery to remain good or even get better. And again, comes that word ACCOUNTABILITY. I will do my share with letters from the West Coast.

Your West Coast Buddy Jim