Wading Safely - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Wading Safely

has it been a year already????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 04:21 PM
First Mate

Good Idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longliner View Post
At the age of fifty, and not so limber around the hips and legs, I have added an inflatable Mustang vest to my gear. If I should slip, I don't want to depend on my physical ability to live. I will want a life jacket to appear.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Official Member

Hi the OP rec9omend swimming (back stroking if i read this correctly) into the current>>> thought your supposed to swim across Rips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrexny1 View Post
Hi the OP rec9omend swimming (back stroking if i read this correctly) into the current>>> thought your supposed to swim across Rips?
not specifically a rip it was eluding to in that situation. but, if you were in a rip you'd be in a world of chit with waders on. see, most of us won't be caught dead fishing where there is a chance of being caught in a rip like that. you'll see guys fishing jetties with wader pants and not booted waders as they won't fill and suck you out and under. crazy as it sounds, your best fishing will be where the rip is and there's no shortage of knuckleheads who THINK they know how to fish it. great observation as it wasn't specific to a condition.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Striper Hunter

The wet suit craze has hit almost every one. The benefits are they float you. Make sure you pick the right thickness 3,5, or 7 millimeters. The thicker the warmer. By november I use 7. Better to be warmer than risk hypothermia.
waders & a dry top are great but they're not for me in big water or rips. I love waders in calm to moderate surf. If i don't feel safe i go for my wetsuit. A pfd was also mentioned, Mustang Survival makes great stuff. it has a whistle sown in to it. i will wear an inflatable PFD over a wetsuit in certain situations. In situations where being swept away is a concern I'll keep force fins slung over my shoulder with a rope.
Korkers are a must, but so is a sharp knife with a lanyard. A back up knife is also a great idea because 2 is one & 1 is none in a tight spot.
At night a strobe light is essential or at least a pair of glow sticks.
princton tec makes an eco flare & under water kinetics has a dependable head light.
never fish tired or above your comfort level.
Best Wishes & Be Safe!
Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

if i'm liable to get washed out then i'd just say F#@* it..and skish with frank and melnyk..(or not) left a spot this week after yanking out some goon from the water. if i had the wit about me i'd have taken pics of his facial expression. you won't find me in charitable moods that often and since i'm not getting any younger?? i'd opt to let someone else lend a hand. there is no shortage of fun people out there making things interesting that's for sure..

Old 10-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Young salt

zim, HE's ALIVE. Good to see ya on here man, haven't seen much from ya in the last couple months. How ya hittin 'em down your way, is your fall run over yet? We hit them pretty good up here in September and then things just fell off after the inclement weather and yada yada yada.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:19 AM
Striper Hunter

Great Post
Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 PM
popbera

Hi, I'm a new guy here, but, I'd like to add my thoughts to this post. A good manual deploying flotation device might be a good idea. Unless there's something I didn't think of that makes it a no no... They are fairly
comfortable to wear...I'm sure you can tell I mostly fish from a boat, I do sometimes play in the surf. Great Post on surf safety!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Striper Hunter

Most Dangerous place on LI

Lots of people want fish the most treacherous spot on Long Island.
they go out at low tide & don't expect the tide to rush in so fast.
Others tempt fate & go out during the ebb not realizing that all of the water in that part of the sound is rushing through their legs! It can reach almost 5 mph during full & new moons.
Many people get rescued here.
Yet many come & tempt fate!
Fly rodders with waders & chest packs, men without korkers.
When you arrive there.... expect everything to go wrong because it will.
if your not in a wetsuit & don't have fins or the ability to swim for your life for 60 minutes in the heaviest current on L.I.
FORGET IT!
no fish is worth your life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wet suit 2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	15705  
Old 10-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
no fish is worth your life.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Sad News from Newport

A rich life is suddenly swept away
Gary Mathias, noted chef at Newport restaurant, dies doing what he loved: Fishing
By DONITA NAYLOR JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
Gary Mathias, a chef at Newport’s Brick Alley Pub, loved to fish, and some mornings he would fry up his catch, maybe “a big, huge striped bass,” and everyone in the kitchen “would have at it …,” said Matthew Plumb, son of the pub’s founders.
“We’d eat them right here, before we opened,” Plumb said. The fish was, “like, an hour old.”
Plumb spoke Wednesday afternoon as he and the restaurant staff coped with the news that Mathias, 48, of Ports-mouth, died Wednesday morning doing what he loved.
At around 4 a.m., Middletown police got a 911 call about a fisherman who had been swept off the rocks at Sachuest Point. Middletown police Sgt. Mark Minnella tried to swim out with a lifeline, the department’s news release said, but rough surf prevented him from reaching Mathias.
A Middletown Fire Department boat reached the floating but unresponsive man and brought him to the Third Beach boat ramp, where Newport Rescue per- sonnel started cardiopulmonary resuscitation. He was taken to Newport Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Ralph and Pat Plumb founded the Newport pub in 1980, and Mathias started in 1989, when Matthew Plumb was still a child.
“He taught me a lot,” said Plumb, now in his 30s. “When I was learning all the different areas of the restaurant, I spent a lot of time following him around, listening to him. Now, it’s more like an exchange of ideas.”
Plumb described Mathias as a health-conscious, physically fit man who, in the winter, would go to the gym before 6 a.m.
“If it wasn’t something like this,” Plumb said, “he’s the kind of guy who would live to about 95.”
“There hasn’t been a dry eye,” said Kim Napolitano, the pub’s waitstaff manager and a guidance counselor at Durfee High School in Fall River. “It’s a very big emotional loss for us.”
She said her Facebook page “has been flooded with messages” from people around the country who worked with Mathias at some point in their careers. And purveyors have been calling with condolences.
“We’ve got a big family down here,” said Plumb, “Once you’re part of the family, whether you’ve been in six months or 25 years, it’s the same.”
“Everybody did a good job of pulling together today and helping each other out,” he said.
Mathias supervised a kitchen staff of about 25, did most of the food ordering and quality control, and collaborated with the elder Plumb on what the restaurant served, Napolitano said. He helped create almost every item on the menu.
Mathias was one of three chefs featured on this week’s cover of the Newport Mercury, for a story on New-port Restaurant Week, which begins Friday. He died before he could see the free weekly all over town. It came out Wednesday morning.
He was included in the “Taste of Newport” cookbook, published in 2008, with the recipe for Brick Alley Crabcakes, and in 2006, the 50th anniversary issue of Bon Appetit magazine reprinted his recipe for Brick Alley’s Clams Portuguese as one of only 25 recipes that defined their decades.
In 2006, the Journal featured Mathias in Chef’s Secret and printed the clam recipe and one for Portuguese Cod, both of which call for chourico, a sausage from Mathias’ Portuguese heritage.
Mathias grew up on a farm in Portsmouth, went to the University of Rhode Island and earned his master’s degree in English, Plumb said.
If he wasn’t working or spending time with his daughter, 16, or his girlfriend, Plumb said, he would be fishing, and the rocks off Sachuest Point Wildlife Refuge “was one of his favorite spots.”
“He was doing something he really loved,” Napolitano said. “It was his passion.” [email protected]
Old 11-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Pro Staff

Thanks for posting that here, Adam. I hadn't seen that particular article yet. My thoughts and prayers go out to Mathias and his family. I fished those rocks quite often this season, and it can definitely get hairy down there. Be safe everyone.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

all i know is if one person reads this stuff and is made aware and responsible then i'd be happy. but when your dealing with mother nature? your at the mercy of the laws of average and the laws of nature. again i have to pass on condolences and although i'm an advocate for safety and self preservation.... i have trembled at near catastrophic instances where i was all knowing of the consequences. a prize plug lost on an errant cast was in reaching distance of my rod. i ventured all too close to the edge of the deepest part of the ridge and with water up to my chest and current trying to pull me sideways? my rod tip locked onto one of the trebbles. i retrieved my prize plug and backed to the rocks shaking like a leaf... i called a good friend to explain what happened only to realize how close i came to disaster for a freaking plug... i mean..... a plug??? i was alone and felt the need to throw caution to the wind. so it's my belief that although we know all too well of the dangers we subject ourselves to on any given day? we are human and can very well change our minds and make the most trivial of the most unpredictable..... what i'm really trying to say is.. although we know danger lurks? we have this bulletproof little man on our shoulder saying "gee zim, seems pretty simple to me - or - a real man would just climb out on that jetty and take the punishing surf like a man..... you know,, stuff like that... it's the moment we are faced with a smart/intelligent and clear sober thought of the situation that takes precidence over our inate and ingrained manly man intelect that causes us to make decisions that can sometimes neer avert disaster. hope i have made another contribution to this thread.. (or not)

Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Pro Staff

Good stuff Zimno