Monroe Lake, Indiana, 3/30 & 4/1 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Indiana Stripers and Wipers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Wiper Guru

Default Monroe Lake, Indiana, 3/30 & 4/1

The good news is the water temps are up. Most of the lake is 59 degrees, but in the coves it is 61. No wipers yet. I tried. Oh! how I tried, but they just were not hanging on the fast side and I lack the patience for the idle zone. Tried Paynetown area and the dam--nada. Got determined and went back on Sunday--nada. Temps were about the same and the water had gone mirky around the points, but still nothing but whitecaps. To keep from making friends with the skunk I was forced to fish the shallows with floating Rapalas: lmb 6, bluegills 3. No size and not much fight, but it beat getting beat.

I noticed that many of the shorline trees were chewed nearly through about eighteen inches above the ground. Then I realized the beaver and squirrel must have been standing on the accumulated snow, gnawing their way into the cambium layer just to stay alive. I failed to realize that it was a hard winter for all concerned, not just me. That may have a bearing on when and in what manner the wipers present themselves this spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 12:17 AM
ISBA Exec

Default Re: Monroe Lake, Indiana, 3/30 & 4/1

Slowretrieve,

I almost went down Sunday afternoon. But, the tops of the trees waving back and forth made me think twice. I bet the water temps won't last long the upcoming forecast of 19 degrees Saturday morning!!!!

Yaz
Old 04-03-2007, 07:51 AM

Yeah, I'm looking at the forecast wondering what's all the fuss about global warming?
Only problem we have is late winter, early spring, late winter then who knows where the wind will blow?
LMJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Wiper Guru

Yeah, it was good to be out in a way, but being out and not catching is not all that good. Something told me Sunday to save my gas and get some of those house chores done, maybe change the oil in the mower or something, but I did not listen.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:04 AM
ISBA Exec

Thats exactly what I did Sunday. Worked on the mower.....as I was staring at the boat.

Yaz
Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Wiper Guru

It was time better spent. Early spring is always iffy, at best. I actually had a second purpose in going out. Last December I bought an SS prop for the boat and tried it out in TN. I was not happy with it. Not only did it weigh way too much, it seemed to make the engine idle roughly. So I switched back to the aluminum prop to check myself. Sure enough, it idles smoothly and I think it performs better with the original prop. Since the pitches and cupping appear to be the same, I'm not sure why they perform differently. Now I'm happy to have the lighter prop back in service and guess I'll send the SS back to its maker. I'm ready to fish now. IF only the weather would cooperate.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:23 PM
ISBA Exec

Hey Slowretrieve,

On the stainless prop. I'm sure you have a newer outboard than me (most do). I have a 1984 Merc. Black Max 200. From the serial numbers, parts dealers tell me it one of the first 200's built, and is possibly a prototype. Here's my story on a stainless prop: I put it on and ran it a couple of times, for a limited amount of time, and like yours, it just wasn't right at idle and low RPM's. I went ahead an ran it anyway, due to my aluminum being reworked.

I was fishing Cumberland, the last day of a 4 day trip, about 1/2 way back on a 10 mile run. On plane, in smooth as glass water, running about 48 MPH. Motor running great, and all of a sudden the RPM's pegged on the tach and the motor was screaming. I got it shut down fast. After a little investigation, the main drive shaft broke.

Although I was able to find a shaft and fix the thing myself. Every dealer, parts manager, and repair shop I spoke with said the same thing. The stainless steel props have no flex when coming out of the hole, or bumping into even small debris, thus putting undue stress on the lower unit and drive train of the motor. On older motors, such as mine, not a good thing. that was the cause of my broken shaft. Back with the 'ole aluminum prop for me!

Yaz
Old 04-05-2007, 07:53 AM

Hey Yaz, regarding Monroe on 4/14, I think I have a bass tournament to attend, we have a young guy from Bass Pro we sponsor, and I'm committed to coming out and taking pics and giving lures away, etc.
I don't want to double book, let me confirm w/him before I tie you up in any way.
I'll let you know by this weekend.
LMJ
Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 AM
ISBA Exec

You mean....one of those "green fish" contests!!!!LOL I don't expect a commitment from ya. More than likely, I'll be headed that way for the morning on one or both days that weekend. (I hope). Just let me know and we can exchange phone numbers if things work out.

Yaz
Old 04-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Yeah, Yeah, I know! :)
No stripes, throw it back! LOL
I'll stay in touch, ideal weekend too, hopefully this cold front will have moved on by then.
LMJ
Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Wiper Guru

Yaz, I appreciate your inputon the ss prop. I had the feeling it just was not right for my motor and sent it back to Cabela's. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so I didn't feel bad sending it back. I put on my rebuilt aluminum and it actually is faster than the SS was-probably due to pitch differences. But the motor is smoother at lower rpm's with the aluminum and I am much happier. The SS prop was about $300 and the aluminum cost me $93 to get rebuilt. I found on iboats that they had a new aluminum for my 2001 Merc 75 for $104, so I ordered one to set in the back of the garage, just in case. I would rather the prop on the aluminum break off than replace a lower end, so I think I' done with the ss props. And aside from all else, they are heavy--maybe four times the weight of aluminum. I'm with you; stick with aluminum.