What's Your Favorite Rubber? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Striper Hunter

Default What's Your Favorite Rubber?

You sick freaks this is fishing! I've just started using these rubber baits and they are awesome got to tell ya. So far I have only had success with the shads in the 4" size. But I really want to use the bigger ones and sluggos and fin-s fish etc. So which ones do you really like? How do you rig them? How do you fish them? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to learn more about this. I know my wallet would like me to learn less heh:)

Bait R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2006, 01:11 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

When I do use them, I use the bigger 5 and 6" variety in the Spring during the Alewive run. Seem to use the smaller ones in the Fall during the fall migration. I think thats what its all about....."matching the hatch", and that includes the size of the bait which is around. If they are chasing big Alewives/Herring, throw larger rubber. If they are chasing Peanut Bunker in the Fall, throw smaller rubber. I usually just reel em in steady, not too fast not too slow. If after a while I'm not getting any action, I will add a pause, and can sometimes get hits on the fall, like on a jig. I have also noticed this in freshwater with Trout...they will often hit Rooster Tails "on the pause", while it is falling. So if after a good amount of steady retrieves you still dont get a reaction, then try to add in a pause on the retrieve. Mix it up

Old 05-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Veteran

Sheepskins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Striper Hunter

condoms are for sailors
Old 05-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Jigologist

glow-in-the-dark ribbed ones and get some pretty good action with ones that have the french tickler on the end.. slow twitching retrieve..

mostly fish rubber baits with a jighead.. I cut them back to match the bait size and to fit well against the back of the jighead.. also fish them with no weight, just a wide-gap hook thru the head--gives a nice slow upper water-column presentation for fishing shallow..
Old 06-08-2006, 03:30 PM

jigman,

saw a thing on the tube where a guy was casting without wieght like you described, then added a second one to increase the profile of the bait to go for larger stripers.

They were pulling one in every 10 seconds, but then again it was edited for tv .. :)
Old 06-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Jigologist

I like the ten inch finS fish in alewife color for drifting rubber.. picture drifting a worm for trout or nimphing with a fly.. it really works awesome in moving water.. just let it drift with the current, same speed, then finish each drift wit the ol' "wetfly swing" to a stop for a few seconds, then twiching retrieve back to you.. 'repeat' it's deadly in the right spot.. maybe some smellyjelly to sweeten the deal a bit :)
Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 PM

Stopped using them things when my wife went through menopause. :)

Storm and Sassy shads never less than 4 inches with a jighead...2 inchers are good for macks.

4-6 inch sluggos with and without jigheads. You get a lot more darting action on unweighted sluggos. The downside is that you can't throw them very far.

Just be sure that the hooks on your jigheads are up to the task. I've straightened some out on LMB, never mind stripers.

Jigman, do you have a favorate brand/size of jighead you use for stripers with plastics?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Jigologist

Tony, I pour my own.. using do-it jigmolds and stout hooks.. sometimes I'll cheat the mold and make it so a larger hook can be installed..

mostly use "shadhead" jigs and "bullethead"..

if you get your hooks by the 100 and can get your own lead (lead flashing, local hardware store) you can get them poured for about 15cents each ... and I don't cry when I lose 'em..

you can get the molds and hooks at http://www.staminaInc.com
the molds are under 30 bucks and the hooks to go with them vary per brand.. all my molds take a 635 hook in sizes from 1/0- 8/0 ..they are eagleclaw hooks, not a top brand but they are fine and stout enough for the job plus hold a nice point...
Old 06-12-2006, 01:12 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Storm shads, Mackerel pattern ,then senko's, then sluggos...
Old 06-12-2006, 02:27 PM

Thanks for that link Jigman. Seems to have better prices on bulk shad bodies that basspro or cabelas. I'm thinking I may order a mold but take the glue-ru's approach. Take some low viscosity 2-part epoxy and fill it to the hilt with something like iron oxide (something heavy) and use it to pour into the molds. Won't be quite as heavy as using lead but it should do the trick.

Also, that web site had a fish-hook remover that I've been looking to use on bluefish, and it's less than $5. That plus my boga should take the anxiety out of releasing bluefish.

http://www.staminainc.com/accessories/hook_remover.html
Old 06-12-2006, 03:14 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I get alot of plug making supplies from them , they are a little slow on shipping..
Old 06-14-2006, 01:36 PM

you mean jigheads like these!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:19 PM

Tuff to gain perspective on the thickness and strength of those hooks from the picture. But, they look like the ones I have issues with. I think they're called wire hooks. They do a good job of penatrating but they straighten out under a high load.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:38 PM

The smaller ones are the VMC Barbarian hooks and the bigger ones are the Eagle Claw 635 extra strong hooks. I haven't had any issues with them yet. One of the big reasons i started pouring my own jigheads was becuase the jigheads with good heads cost so much. It's crazy when I can pour them for 15cents a piece and thay are selling them for over $1ea in the stores....