Striper Fishing with Live Bait - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Striper Fishing with Live Bait

Hey Guys,

Striper season is going well so far, but lures and fresh bunker chunks/clams havent been working as well last couple weeks as they did early on. Trying livebait now, but need some tips on rigging them.

Worms have been working well but they tend to catch smaller stripers and dont last too long with the crabs around, after catching an eel with a worm i rigged it as livebait but despite stunning the thing it balled up on me anyway and rapped itself in the leader. I bought some live eels from the bait shop now to give it another try.

I searched the forum and youtube but cant find a good video on how to rig a live eel properly. Do i hook them in the nostrils or in the body? Should i use a doublehook rig or single?

Also for small live shads is the nostrils the best place to hook them? Any advice and/or videos would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Striper Fishing with Live Bait

hmmm? noone can explain how to rig a live Eel properly?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyeager123 View Post
hmmm? noone can explain how to rig a live Eel properly?
Up through the jaw and out one of the eye sockets is how I usually rig 'em. You can also hook 'em up through the lips, I haven't used this method so not too sure of it's effectivness.........seems as though it would keep them alive longer but also make them easier to fling into the drink, just my opinion though?? I always go the jaw/eye socket method, they seem to stay alive for a long time, unless you're heavy into fish of course and then you'll be re-rigging them frequently. Throw them out there, let 'em sink to the bottom (ya may need to add an egg/rubber core sinker depending on the body of water if ya need more weight) and reel them in as slooooooooooowwwwwwly as humanly possible. If the eels keep getting frisky on ya, whack them on a rock or the sand or on top of the water a few times, and don't be shy about it either, they're tough little bastages ya won't kill 'em. Better yet, bring a small cooler with a few ice packs, throw a towel over the ice packs and the eels on top of that. The cold from the ice packs will render the eels sleepy as the drop in body temerature slows down their metabolism to the point where they appear to be dead. This will afford you a few extra seconds when ya take them out to rig them before they start balling up and wreaking havoc on your line. Get 'em into the water as quickly as possible and ya shouldn't have a [problem. If the problem persists, slap them suckers around and they will straighten right back out. Hope this helps man....good luck out there.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Through the jaw and out the eye. To avoid the eel balling up, you need to break its spine. Wack its tail on the rail of a boat, rock on the shoreline, you get my drift, a couple of times and you should be good. Use burlap or newspaper,when on the shore wet your hand and press it on sand, when handleing them so they wont slip out of your hand.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Striper Hunter

great advice thanks guys! I didnt realize i had to reel them in really slowly i thought i just let them swim. What if i had a baitfeeder reel in that scenario do i let them swim on their own or still reel in slowly?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 AM
First Mate

Keep the eel moving or you will be reeling in an eel ball that is a mess to deal with. When it does happen, I change leaders, hook a new eel and make sure I keep it moving.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Doesn't matter what reel you use. The technique stays the same. When on a boat you always drift the eels to keep them just off the bottom(6"). Same scenario when on the shore. If you leave the eel stagnant it will find someplace to hide, usually in or under rocks. You always want to keep the eel moving slowly and in the strike zone just off the bottom. I also use a heavier gauge hook when casting them. Skinny hooks will rip out easy.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Striper Hunter

peeerfect, i will try it out as soon as I can!!!

They have small live 3.5 inch swim shads at the bait shop too, do those work for stripers? do i hook them the same way?

Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Nick there are literally a thousand threads on this.
There are also a bunch more articles written on it, have a look at the site map.
https://www.stripers247.com/sitemap.php

Very simply - grab the eel and stick a 4/0 to 7/0 hook under the jaw and out an eye.
Cast out, let the eel swim to the floor and reel in very very slowly.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Striper Hunter

well i am an expert eel fisher man lo. just kidding dude. i was told to come on ur post to get tips on rigging eels. lol
Old 05-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

3.5 inch shad is gonna get you nothing but schoolies. I would rig them through the jaw and out the nostrils with a float on the line.
Big bait= Big fish
Old 05-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Striper Hunter

yah the little shads only caught me little stripers you are correct. The eels have not worked for me yet, they seem prone to dying on me, i tried wacking them on the head and i tried the thumb stunna move and they seem to go limp after a few casts. so i stopped stunning them and they swim fine as long as i reel them in but no bites.

I also tried live lining freshly snagged bunkers but nothing hit them and there was tons of action in the water. Once we chunked the fresh bunkers instead we caught two nice sized bluefish and two stripers over 34 inches. So maybe its too early for live bait im guessin.

ps. i found the eel threads about keeping them alive and stunning them but i couldn't find the threads on were to actually hook them so thanks!