Catfish/Carp tips - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 12-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Catfish/Carp tips

I know this post is old, but I happen to be a very avid angler for catfish. I catch 30+lbers on eel, whether they be channel, blues, or flatheads down south. I cut off the head, and then cut off the meaty tail because it has no organs. Then I take the bulk piece with all the nasty stuff inside, cut it in half, and put both pieces on a 4/0 hook. The blood carries down the current, and the cats follow it! There's never, ever been a night when I don't catch at least a 15lber by drifting this. I've had plenty of nights where I caught 6 or more fish this way. Just make sure your line can handle the abrasion that their teeth can cause. They have a unique Tug......TUG......tug tug.........TUG type of fighting style. I've snapped plenty of lines til i learned my lesson of braided line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Striper Hunter

CAn carp be caught around the tappen zee bridge area of the Hudson river?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:42 AM
where the stripers at ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcranked View Post
I'm trying to plan an outing for my kids and nephews in late August. I was planning to go down to the river (I'm from troy) and do some cat fishing and some carp would be awesome. I have been fishing the river for twenty plus years and We've only used worms for cats so I was planning on having a stash of those, I have also gotten some chicken livers to try out too..What I was wondering about was any tips you might have on the subject. I have never caught and carp I have seen them hit the top of the water but never for any thing I was offering. any advice on cat/carp fishing the Hudson would be awesome I want these boys to remember this trip.. Thanks for any advice you can give. We will be fishing from shore I don't have a boat that would fit 7 kids in (LOL)

If you want catfish anywhere in the hudson this is what you need to do.
Bring your worms with some smaller size hooks catch some of the white perch cut those up into chunks and throw those chunks to the bottom with a fish finder rig with 2oz of weight. Then just kick back and wait its only a matter of time before a catfish will pick it up.
I can bet my boat this will work def. up in the troy area.
keep a fresh chunk of meat on that hook every 15-20 mins or so change it
good luck