Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

You're really not a fisherman until

Tags
fisherman
19K views 90 replies 47 participants last post by  StriperJunkie 
#1 ·
You lose at least 1 trolling motor and battery, fishing rod, tackle box and reel at the bottom of your lake.

#82 ·
You taught somebody else how to fish....

I was at a local pier the other night catching some mackerel to use as leopard shark bait. This little kid was there just as long as me and couldn't catch a thing, while I was next to him pulling fish in non stop. I cut off his line and completely re rig it and give him some different bait to use. I tell him where the fish are and how to catch them. I have to remind him repeatedly to SLOW down his retrieve or he wouldn't catch a thing. He listens to me and starts reeling in more fish than me......

It's funny how as adults we care so much about the size of the fish we catch. You can have a little kid catch a small mackerel and he will be the happiest kid in the world....

#83 ·
Re: You're really not a fisherman until

- you get mauled by mosquitos. Miscalculate a moon tide and get stuck on a bar. Get knocked on your ass by rogue waves, backwashes, have your waders fill up with water and sand, slide on your ass with a fish on, suffer hypothermia, dehydration, 3rd degree sun burns, barnacle infections and pnuemonia. Taken a dump in your waders. Lose your cleats, plug bag, light, break your rod, reel, Hopefully not your arm, hand, elbow, leg, or back. Scare the hell out of yourself getting off a thin stretch of beach with the waves misting the windsheild because you've stayed 10 minutes too long.
Lose your car keys, cell phone, wife, girlfriend, kids, money, sanity.

#84 ·
I have half a clue as to one of the guys that is directed at, lol. Maybe even two.

You are not a striper fisherman until you cant sleep anymore once the outside air temperature reaches 60 degrees. Just because you are thinking all night someone is into holdovers somewhere. Or it is going to be an early run this year which moon should I work may re-entry to surf around.

You are not a striper fisherman until you realize it is not just about going out and catching a fish. The pursuit of the Striper is more personal than that. It isn't about having your picture taken with a large fish or winning some tournament it isn't about killing a fish for the table (not that there is anything wrong with that) It is about reuniting with an old friend and familiar places year after year. Smells that tingle your nostrils and evoke an emotional response in you. The feel of cold water pushing the air out of your waders in the dark of night. Hoping that this time you will be the smart one and the fish will be the fool.

#91 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.