Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

is it me??

8K views 53 replies 20 participants last post by  Mark P 
#1 ·
Is it me or is most of the info you get here is generic

I killed them in the spring without much help from this sight

they should be going south but I have yet to hear where
They are?.. is everybody out fishing and not posting??

Johnny bolt caught a nice one in NH
that is only 18+ miles of coast line that helps alot

If you want to help how about a little more info????

Besides look for birds (we have all heard that a thousand times) that it's old news

Like What kind of structure were they found in etc.????

You could at least say where they are on the trip south
Or will everybody wait until they are gone????

I have stuck up for this sight and have posted to the best of my ability
Info to help people with out spot burning

I am not saying that you should give out your hot spots
But you should at least give some info as to what to look for
In structure etc.

Sorry if I sound hard but I have to say I have not learned anything from this sight Other than ?watch for birds?

See less See more
#2 ·
RJ. Chasing reports is yesterdays fish.
RJ said:
Like What kind of structure were they found in etc.????
While structure is important to stripers its not as important as the presence of bait. All fish relate one way or another to structure, shelter or cover. They use it for protection from predators, to escape from direct sunlight, for feeding and, in some cases, for spawning.
Find the bait and you will find the fish. The striped bass is the predator and uses structure to hunt.
Structure is defined as any disruption in the bottom. It can be many things. docks, rocks, pilings, piers, wood, shadows, drop offs, eddies, sand bars, downed trees, bridge abutments any change in the contour of the beach or bottom. A cove inlet outflows all places to look for fish. Even a little creek bringing rain water into another water body is a good place to look for fish. The tiniest of bugs are washed down and the food chain soon follows the food.
Look for moving water and bait. Thats the key. Find the bait and match the hatch or chunk a bunker head , or cast and retrieve live eels somewhere where you have had success in the past and put your time in.
RJ said:
You could at least say where they are on the trip south
Or will everybody wait until they are gone????
There are some 60 million fish migrating from as far North as the St. Johns River in Nova scotia to their wintering grounds off of Cape hattaras North Carolina. They move as the days get shorter and the water temperature gets colder during the moon tides. Cold fronts will move the mullett, peanut bunker, spearing and sand eels out of the back bays and the bass will follow. They show up in waves and large schools, sometimes incredible amounts of fish move together. This will happen throughout the fall and there is no precise time or location. Water temperature, bait and daylight or some of the factors involved.
Start here.

[*]Finding the fish
Learn to read the water!!!!!
Reading the Beach
Surf and Shore stripers
whats wind got to do with it ?
What Makes a Good Striped Bass Fisherman
Why Fish Dont Bite
Cows in the shallows
Striper fishing with Eels
Jigging 101
Jig fishing 101 - jigging deep with current
Battle technique, putting' on the brakes...and wild fights
Best Tide for Stripers?
Night Tide
Tides and Theory
Wind from the East
Plugs and treble replacement
When It's Ok to lie
Finally hittin
Paying your dues
The Penalty for spot burning is silence

#3 ·
#4 ·
"Sorry if I sound hard but I have to say I have not learned anything from this sight Other than ?watch for birds?

Well,,,, yes you do.
I see plenty of info here to point you in the right direction and to give you ideas on what to look for,,, where to go,,, when to be there,,,, what to use.

But if you're looking for more "spot on info", I'll gladely give you just one heads up.

R.I., Gallilee, Georges Restraunt, short wall, night time, bottom out going tide, swimmers/live eels, Cast across towards West Wall, free spool and let drift out with tide, Plenty of parking, room for 2 fishers, 30 people waiting in line, get there yesterday, bring breakfast - lunch- and dinner and get in line.

How's that for info? Now that it's posted I'll bet by Saturday night there willbe a gadzillion folks waiting for a chance to cast.
Sorry, but you sounded like one that needed the instant gratification spot on info with your post. If you'd been doing your homework, following the fish / bait, been paying attention, and actually seeking the challenges that is "fishing", you would not have posted the way you did.
Yes, you sound "hard" to me and probably many others.
You can "watch the birds" all you want, doesn't guarentee there's stipers there no matter how hard they are working.
Pay your dues, put in your time, you'll catch fish.
Apologize for sounding hard right back at you,,,,, well,, maybe not.
As for postings, Time for talkin has gone,, time for doing. Go do it and have fun.
Anouther hint, you can always take the "googan" approach. just drive around and look for parked cars with empty rod racks. that's a pretty good clue (except for the Stop & Shop parking lot).

#5 ·
FLOATSUM said:
Anouther hint, you can always take the "googan" approach. just drive around and look for parked cars with empty rod racks. that's a pretty good clue (except for the Stop & Shop parking lot).
Now that's funny laughing4.gif .

Jim, I icn___clap.gif you. If someone attacked my forum, I'd be all over them. But you took it in stride and provided some great resources (threads) for the person.

I guess we all like instant gratification....bragging rights on a big fish. But true gratification is being able to put it all together and doing it yourself. Took me a while to figure that out so I can't fault the guy.

#6 ·
I don't fault his comments either. I too grow fustrated but not from lack
of trying. I'd like every trip out to fish to be successful, but I've had
less success both in getting out and locating the fish.

Its not too hard to figure out where JB was. However, His exact location should
remain a mystery. I know the rye, hampton, seabrook,salisbury area
pretty well. I hung out there a lot when I was younger lookin for babes.

Now, I've been out several times too looking for birds. Unfortunately, the
one time I did see them was when I was headed back to the marina...

When my boat was located in Lynn earlier this season I could have
garunteed you that fish could be had along winthrop beaches. There's
many locations over there. However, if you hit the wrong tide or the wrong
day of the week all you were going to get were dog fish.

In the past few weeks the site has slowed a bit. This in my opinion is
due to school starting back up and the change of season. Personally,
I like the fall but it comes and goes too quickly. It gets dark too early
and it seems we have less time to do what makes us happy.

In JB's journal you'll find much information. I'm kinda shocked he made
it so public. I'm not sure I could keep such particular info up-to-date.
That's what makes him successfull and me less successfull at finding
fish.

I don;t like it, but its trial and error. Every time is costs more money
to find out where the fish aint! I can tell you this with certainty. I've heard
so many stories of how folks caught fish here or there. The only way
is to be there when the fish takes the hook.

Next Spring I'll be good to go with boat ready for the water. I'll
be that much closer to where the fish are! Now, that's headed in the
right direction.

Once I add shore power to my boat in the offseason, when I get to the
boat, the food and beer I left on the boat will still be cold and my
batteries will be charged!

So, If I can find a fishing buddy that will go on the drop of a dime
I'll have a better time cause its awfully hard to steer and fish at the same
time!

-cal headbang.gif

#7 ·
Let me tell you a short fish story.

I found this forum in April, 2005. At the time, I posted arials and topos of the general area I fish, asking for help identifying potential spots. Other than a few comments on how beautiful and bassy the area looked, I got no suggestions.

Finally, I thought, why am I asking these people? I've been fishing freshwater for 45 years and I'm a dam good LMB guy. So I took the basic information on technique, in ample supply on this forum BTW, combined it with what I've learned in 45 years of LMB fishing, and looked at those arials and topos again and asked myself the question, where would I be if I was a striper looking to ambush an easy meal.

I pretty quickly picked out half a dozen spots which I believed had potential and prioritized them. I made up some weighted frozen chum and dropped them in a few of the high priority spots (something I learned here).

While I didn't catch that cow I wanted, I did catch fish and I learned a very important lesson that day. All fish have the same basic needs, food and cover. But probably as important, maybe more, I gained a whole lot of confidence in myself. I felt good about what I was able to accomplish without someone telling me where to fish. And now I'm glad they didn't.

#52 ·
Let me tell you a short fish story.

I found this forum in April, 2005. ... I've been fishing freshwater for 45 years and I'm a dam good LMB guy. So I took the basic information on technique, in ample supply on this forum BTW, combined it with what I've learned in 45 years of LMB fishing, and looked at those arials and topos again and asked myself the question, where would I be if I was a striper looking to ambush an easy meal....
Funny you mention using the freshwater tactics you knew and applied them to the Salt. I was giving a seminar just a couple days ago and I mentioned to my audience how I have applied some sweet water boat tactics to salt and working up close to structure and tossing toward shore, etc... So it's funny to hear someone else say that. I've down sized my gear as well because of physical problems and it's amazing how much fun it is to do it that way.

Armand

#8 ·
TonyDB-
We said the same thing- but I like your suger coated version better! cigar.gif
Being old enough to know better,,, but too damed old to care about "political correctness" has something to do with the wife's idea that I "don't play well with other children", and damned if I care. (can;t find an "emotion" that says FTW, I'm me and that's the way I am.")
Use what you know! If you don't know nuthin,,,,,,, figure it out! That's "fishing". go for the challenge (not the numbers). Learn the "how comes" not the other folks "do". Be a fisherman, not a fish catcher.
After 40+ years of fishing I can honestly say that in some of my best fishing,,,, I never got to wet a line. Make your own path and enjoy the journey (if you know what I mean).

#9 ·
RJ.
Theres no exact science or master plan. I look for a rock beach and find a big rock. Or i look for a back bay with muscle beds, or some eel grass. On a sand beach I look for changing contour. It is best to scout at low tide. Although there is not much contour around Staten Island where I like to fish. Except maybe some sand bars in different locations that shift a bit.
Im not really sure what more can be said on the subject outside of pointing out favorite spots. I cant even fish mine any more because of the crowds. I show up at the high tide late at night when possible. Its a small area and can be seen from the road. When its too busy or low tide I pick a spot near deep water.
Even if I told you that rock at 43.46N - 71.41W at the top of the outgoing tide theres no garantee that the fish will be there. The bait also has to be presented properly. Sometimes the fish just have lockjaw.
If you just chuck out a clam bellie or a sand worm and wait it will eventually get you a fish. Keep working the area till you catch a fish. if you happen to catch a few there you wont be telling any body about the spot unless you want it over run.

#15 ·
RJ, I'm going to get get too far into this, because Jim already pretty much cleared things up in his first post. There are so many pages of info, stories, and links to fishing logs, etc on here, and I am surprised to hear anyone is truely unsatisfied. I cant help but believe you have somehow "overlooked" all of the listed links to information, in favor of scanning the message board looking for the easy way out. If you're looking for a board where you can just hop on, scan a few threads, then hopefully get exact locations and GPS coordinates to 50 pound bass every day, well its been said before and I'll say it again, you're in the wrong place. And I cant think of any fishing related message board/community that would welcome that type of mentality. I will so though, that on any of the other boards, your post wouldnt have been responded to so respectfully.

I ask you this, what more do you want? Have you ever read a single article we have here? How long have you been fishing for Striped Bass? Does someone need to take you by the hand and put you on top of the fish? Cuz I never had that. I wish this internet thing was around when I started fishing in 3rd grade.

Lastly, I noticed you posted that NH only has 18 miles of coastline in an effort to be sarcastic and make your point of lack of info....well if thats the case, then with such a short coastline, it shouldnt be too hard to read between the lines, in fact it should be EASIER to have success. But that would actually include getting out there everyday for hours, and putting your TIME and EFFORT into finding quality Bass. But ya, I know, its easier to just hop on tha 'net and hope for directions to the spots. I suspect you have not paid much attention to the full jist of what is available here. Sit back and read some of the articles that were written and shared by fellow members here. I can guarantee you will learn alot, and it will help you catch more and better quality Bass. I have PROVED this myself, because although I started young, I only started having the best seasons of my life in the past 5 or so years, and stuff I read here is directly responsible for that. Because I actually read, and listened, I increased my success and knowledge 5 fold.

#16 ·
On a serious note, I totally have to agree with JB. When i first started actively targeting Stripers a couple of years ago, I would spend my days blowing gas trolling wire line and umbrella rigs. Yeah I know thats a method many people use but my point is, I did it because I didn't know what to do or look for to consistantly catch bass. That was until I discovered this site. I read and read, and occasionally picked at peoples brains. Now each year I'm getting better and better and my log book is getting thicker and thicker.

I realize I have a LONG way to go to even touch a lot of these guys, but I am well on my way because of what I've learned on this site.

The bottom line is there is no easy way and that is the fun of it. That is what attracted me to Striper fishing in the first place. I could spend every fall day setting up a chum slick or as you put it Look for birds and catch bluefish all day long.

I prefer to put my time in looking for holes, structure, rips, checking what tide I'm at, temp breaks, barometric preasure, all at the risk of coming home empty handed at times. But man, when you have done your homework and you find the fish on your own, that is what it is all about.

#17 ·
is it me

I`m new to this site and realized it has tons of info, you just have to put it all together. There are two sayings I go by - some people can`t see the forest for the trees and 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish. Hard work can put you in the 10% catagory. Do your homework! :bigcry:

#18 ·
Let's see. If I lived in Hull, my choiscs would be walk 200 yards East or West, at low tide.

I would look for places water would eddy, I would walk the marshes by the court house, I would get a bathametrics map and triangulate the holes within castin distance on the outside, I would watch the water move around the rocks which are reachable. I would study from the bridge to the gut. I would go for coffee in the morning at the Ferry Dock and keep my ears open. I would go to a Bait shop and get known, I would meet locals figure out who was who and talk fish, I would do so many things and have a canal bike ready and leaning against the house.

In short. Hull is a place many would like to have the oppurtunity which is afforded it. Seek and you shall find.

Shit. Get a chair and a spike, head for the gut and cast. Fishermen who are not fishing will more than likely approach you.

I wish I lived on a Penninsula. Good luck.

#19 ·
hey rj, i know its tough when you come here and read and see pics of monster bass being caught by many here, its also frustrating to me too. i drive either 1 1/2 hours or 2 hours just to get to saltwater. 90% of the fishing i do is on foot. my biggest bass was 37".it was caught on my uncles boat during the day on a chunk of mack just outside the cape cod canal (in buzzards bay). thats the day i became hooked. after many failed trips after that i started lurking these pages looking for tips and clues. then i became a member and started asking questions and participating. i can say without a doubt this web site and its members have been the best "teachers" for my striper efforts since i fell in love with fishing for stripers. the vets here definetley earned every single fish they catch. do you really think someone who has suffered as much as many of us here here searching for bass is just gonna blow the whislte? spots i have been told about by people are between me and them, out of respect! and when i find one on my own, its either earned by another or it goes to my grave. not because im a prick, but because i put in so much blood sweat and lost tackle. this web site and members have definetley helped me this year and i anticipate the real pay day this fall, when it comes i will gloat big time and thank everyone, if it doesnt come this year, i will try again next year...if i didnt have s247, ide still be fishing blind (not paying attention to tides, bait, tackle and such) hang in there and read, good stuff here...its not gonna happen overnight....you gotta suffer first, like i did saturday, 8 hours of hell and not one bite... and ill be back at it again next week for either a cow or an ass kicking. oh by the way watch for birds working the baitfish, i hear stripers are sometimes under em. thumbsup.gif

#22 ·
First off I'm dam tired of being politicly correct, so Jim, if I'm out of hand deleate my post.

Threads like this are the exact reason most savy fisherman wont/dont do reports...

I used to, last year I did reports every Friday, so the people that fish weekends only, would have some Idea of weather or not they had a chance to catch some fish, I gave tidal info, general location,wind direction moon phase and even barometric pressure, alll pertinant info., I supplied pictures, then some complained that I was "showing off" with the pictures, the pictures were only there to give some hope on what was available.. so I stopped posting pictures, people still complained not enough info :bigcry:

this year i stopped giving reports, i would only answer questions when asked and only posted pictures as support, now I see the folly in it all, whats the use, all the info in the reports not being used anyway, I have better things to do than try to help those that only want a free meal, they wanted to be handed the spot, it's a travesty, JB was alot more forthcoming than I would have been, but then again I've been doing it longer... this was a great season there were alot of fish around, and some real big ones at that, we had a run of 40lb class fish that hasnt been seen here since the mid eightys,the fall run is almost over here for big fish but a few are still being caught (and will be caught for several more weeks at times) But for someone to come on here and complain about the lack of information being given... al I can say is GROW UP, GET OFF YOUR LAZY *&% AND GO FIND SOME FISH...

for those of you that are putting in your time I appologize, It's been a long season and I'm cranky, but enough is enough....for those looking to be handed a hot spot, you'll never catch fish surfing the web so go fishing...

#23 ·
Roccus-
That fish in your avitar-
did you put it back?
Notice which way it went?
What time did you catch it?
which side of the boat?
Can I borrow your lure/bait whatever?
If I split my beer with you will you take me to the spot in your boat and cast for me so I can catch it? :lol: headbang.gif thumbsup.gif

PS; give me a call and I'll tell you when I'm available. th_icon_loll.gif

#25 ·
Float...

yup, I let her go, she headed east,I caught her after ninePM but before 2 AM, I'd give you the eel but it was consumed by the fish,I gave up drinking on the boat after straining my left bicep and tearing my right tricep making casting impossible, in the process I developed allzhienmers and cant remember where I caught the fish,I'm to cheap to buy a phone so I'll have to send smoke signals..... th_sm19.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.