Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Cant fish for Bass whats your next favorite target?

Cant fish for Bass whats your next favorite target?

11K views 62 replies 49 participants last post by  mainesurfcasta 
#1 ·
Bass are scarce and you want to get some fish. If you had to narrow it down to one type, what species would you target?

#2 ·
I picked salmon as my secong but really it would be my third pick.My second favorite is Brown Trout.Throwing spoons,rapalas or nightcrawlers on the bottom,them browns will hit just about anything you throw at them.So long as they're feeding but once they're spooked your gonna have a tough time getting them to take.Action can be hot on the fly also.Sad thing is that I haven't even went troutin once this season.We had twin girls in Feb so we've been busy here at home.Any chance to get out and I was after STRIPERS!!!!

#7 ·
As most of you know, I fish primarily for LMB during the week and on the weekends dabble in striper fishing. Why large mouths.....because they fight decent, put on a good show, but most of all, because they are widely available. Most lakes, ponds, and rivers in the US hold large mouths.

Stripers will evetually displace large mouths to become my most sought after fish once we retire to Maine. Why stripers....for much of the same reasons. They fight decent, they get big, really big by my freshwater standards, and they are accessable to in-shore fishermen. Additionally, they are a pretty good table fare.

One other thing that attracts me to these two fish is that there are multiple techniques the fishermen can employ. Depending on the conditions, they will inhabbit the full water column. So, IMO, if you practice the variety of techniques for catching these two fish, it will help you to readily adapt to catching a mulitude of other species as well.

#15 ·
Little Ricky said:
ONLY ME VOTED FOR DRUM
I would love to fish for drum but we dont see em up our way. I wonder where in NJ the range ends. I see guys in long port posting reports but none from NY or north.
reelinrod posted some awesome shots of some red drum yesterday. I assumed they were from the Cape in NC.

#17 ·
Not really .

Weakfish is more like a sea trout.
I listed em together becuase they are inshore saltwater fish.
14 is the poll maximum
No relationship at all.

#18 ·
how can u pick?

gotta say i love all kinds of fishing just depends what time of the year it is. i start in early march for lmb in the local ponds then april i switch to shad and trout, may is stripers and smallmouth. june carp, catfish, panfish any saltwater. july smallmouth,carp, cats any saltwater. august smallmouth, bluefish. sept smallmouth, bluefish stripers oct and nov all stripers nov-dec hunting season. also add in when tuna runs good not to mention a few days i hit for walleyes, pike and few other species so i stay pretty busy. smallmouth or carp gotta be my fav after stripers and cats right after them.

#25 ·
No.
Krow according to wilkpedia The Atlantic tarpon is found in the Atlantic ocean, typically in tropical and subtropical regions, though it has been reported as far north as Nova Scotia and the atlantic coast of Southern France, and as far south as Argentina.

#26 ·
Dolphin, Mahi Mahi, Dorado. What ever the name is. I had a blast when I got the ones in Hawaii. Hopefully when me and the wife go to Key West I can catch some more.
After all that. Night fishing for Ole' Bucket mouth is my favorite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.