Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Secrets to Livebaiting stripers

58K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  richg99 
#1 ·
In Fisherman
March 2006 Issue
By Don Wirth, Ralph Dallas and Fred McClintock

TACKLE AND RIGGING RIGHT

Wirth: Most novice river-striper anglers are under-gunned in the tackle department. Big stripers make amazingly powerful runs. Add swift current and submerged snags into the mix, and it's obvious you need some serious gear to deal with these fish.

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought that magazine the other day, your right it is a great article. I appreciate you posting the pics as there was a buddy at work I wanted to show that picture to and I was able to email a link to this thread to him. I thought it was real interesting the way he rigged the skipjack.

#7 ·
I found that planer boards are more effective for large baits, especially if you fish more than one bait at a time. The larger gizzards and herring like to swim in circles, and if the lines get near each other, well it gets messy real quick. Planers get them out to the side, and finds the 'spooky' fish.

#9 ·
I dont like to cut the dorsal or any other fin, just towing the ballon around is enough work to slow the bait down after a few minutes...

all the fish below were caught on live mackerel under a ballon, first photo, Jonny Bolt and Baitrunner, second bait runner, third myself..

#12 ·
Hey Roc,, you got a photo of your sliding hook rig handy that you could post up in here? If not, I just made a bunch the other day and I can take a photo tonight. Slick as snot on a brass doorknob. thumbsup.gif

Here's a couple more photos from that day...

One of my bassy's eatin a mack

Me and Jonny waitin...

#17 ·
zimno1 said:
bait, learn that rig so;s you can teach it to me when you come down. roc, give him the crash course! that skipjack method would be way wrong to use before the bass season opens.
No problem Zim, Roc showed me how last year. Best live bait rig I've ever seen. I tied a bunch of em a couple weeks ago in preparation for the season.

Sadlsorz, yep. Use a baitrunner type reel or conventional with the clicker on. As your live bait takes off just give it enough line to swim freely. When you get a hit, let it run for a few seconds before engaging the main drag and letting one of the circle hooks set neatly in the corner of the mouth. I don't have one, but Roc uses lever drag reels with this rig so that he can smoothly increase the drag from freespool to fighting position.

#19 ·
My digital camera is on the fritz or I'd post a photo of the rig I'm talking about. It's a double hook rig. The bottom hook goes through the back of the bait fish either in front of, or just behind the dorsal fin. The top hook, which is rigged so that it can slide up and down on the leader, making it adjustable to fit any size bait, is hooked through the nose.

Similar to this rig that you can get at Cabela's, but better. Cheap and easy to make. I'll post a photo as soon as I can get my camera straightened out.

#22 ·
I should have my camera back tomorrow and I'll post a pic.

Basically, you tie on your bottom hook, pass the leader through the eye of the sliding hook, then take some dental floss and make a series of 10 or 12 tight half hitches around the shank of the sliding hook and the leader. Make sure you tie em tight enough that the hook doesn't slide real easy, but you can still move it. Coat the floss with Pliobond or superglue and let it set. Finish it off with a surgeon's knot or swivel on the top end of the leader.

I make mine about 3 feet long or so, using a 6/0 or 7/0 circle hook at the bottom and a 5/0 or 6/0 octopus (offset) circle as the sliding hook. The offset eye on the sliding hook lets the shank of the hook lie straight against the leader.

Hook the bottom hook through the back of your bait first, then slide the top hook down and hook it through the nose.

Again,, thanks to Roccus for showing me that. I'm sure he'll correct me if I got anything wrong.

#24 ·
This is the rig Zims talkin about.

Owners Boa Rig features a revolutionary knot that allows an angler to adjust the lead hook yet get a firm hookset when setting the lead hook. By applying pressure to the knot itself, the lead hook slides up or down the line to accomodate vaious bait sizes. When pressure is applied to the hook, the knot "locks" in place allowing for a firm hookset.

Made from super-strong Kevlar cord, the Secret Knot responds by constricting tight around the main line when pressure is applied by a striking fish

#25 ·
hey clumsy! heard your fishing with the chin sunday? lmao. still gonna go all night with the seals at the fort? he fell too as i recall. you guys can exchange flop stories instead of fish stories. lol. call my cell if your coming down tomorrow. demetrius is coming to fish at nite. don;t know where i will be fishing yet. i will be commiserating with you at the rock btw as i just can;t see you get skunked all by yourself! am i a friend or what. :cheers:

#26 ·
You just know that big fat queen cow (no not minnie me's girl) will be cruising with her little sisters past my rock. I've hooked her a few times over the last few years and shes beaten me every time. Not this year my friend. The bitch is mine. thumbsup.gif
My shoulder and my knee is healing. Nice green bruises. My elbow still hurts a little. headbang.gif

The best place IMO is g** in the back. Shallow and bait city.
We should set up shop there. I have the pass so we could ride in together. Ill meet you guys at the pier if you want.

Btw once chin checks out the 'hole' He'll be taking the ferry over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.