Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

What kind of striper fishing do you do mostly?

What kind of striper fishing do you enjoy most?

95K views 226 replies 176 participants last post by  Sparetime 
#1 ·
Do you do most of your striper fishing from the shore - boat - freshwater - saltwater - river - marsh - or lake? I thought it would be fun to poll you guys.

#194 · (Edited)
Re: What kind of striper fishing do you do?

THANKS STRIPERJIM, NICE POLL
UNFORTUNATLY MY ANSWER IS THE SAME AS MOST NEWBYS.
I FISH THE HEADBOATS OF BRIELLE AND BELMAR, NJ
AND I FISHED THE SURF MANY NITES OF IBSP, NJ.
NOW IM TRYIN THE JETTIES AT INDIAN RIVER IN DEL.THE NEXT FEW MONTHS.
IM DETERMINED TO LOSE THIS NOOSE AROUND MY NECK.
BUT. . . M Y ANSWER IS ALWAYS THE SAME ----
BLUEFISH 1 0 0 ---- STRIPERS 0
FOR 3 YEARS NOW . . . CAN ANYONE HELP ???

THANKS FOR LOOKIN OUT:anon:

#197 ·

Every striper I've caught was from the bank or while wading the American River, down stream of Sacrament State College (and that's as close as I'll mark that honey hole).

I spin fish with a weighted 5" Rapala minnow and have had great success.

#198 ·

My son and I mainly fish jettys mostly at night. We use bucktails, swimbaits and some plugs. This year we are going to try surfcasting big plugs and sluggos from Maryland up the coast to NJ and again mainly at night.

#199 ·

:mad:I would have been fishing from a boat in the Hudson this year. But I took someone's word that the boat I bought didn't leak, and that the motor ran like a top. BUT UNFORTUNATELY FOR TRUSTING ANOTHER STRIPER MEMBER, I GOT SCREWED ROYALLY !!!!!!!!! I took the motor to a marine dealer near me, and was told that there was no way it ran with the electrical all screwed up! Apparently the coil or stator was installed wrong and was chewed up by the fly wheel, which in turn burned up the majority of the unit. As for the boat, I was told it didn't leak! I pulled the floor in prep of cleaning the boat up and redoing it with fresh paint. Filled it up to the rivet line, and low and behold what do I find?? Over 64 motherf*ckin leaks all the way around the boat. Now the guy says that I screwed it up because of not wanting to do the restoration work on it, so I could get out of the deal. He won't take the boat back either. He said, "part it out and get your money back that way, I don't care!" Talk about getting f*cked and not liking it. I really hope that this guy is happy with screwing over another member of Stripers and sleeps real well at night ! Karma is a BITCH, and he will get his!

#200 ·

:mad:I would have been fishing from a boat in the Hudson this year. But I took someone's word that the boat I bought didn't leak, and that the motor ran like a top. BUT UNFORTUNATELY FOR TRUSTING ANOTHER STRIPER MEMBER, I GOT SCREWED ROYALLY !!!!!!!!!
Wow, im really sorry to hear that man. I am looking at boats right now on craigslist and I will need to be extra careful myself. Always get her in the water and run the motor first is the lesson here I guess.

On a separate note: Can anyone tell me how to rig Live Eels properly??? I posted about it in the main forum but i don't think anyone who knows saw it. :thu:

#202 ·

My beautiful 21 ft cc needs work and college for 2 keeps it down.Been fishing the pond at Quonny,big breakoffs,lots of hits,been spoiled from being on the boat and learning surf tossing all over again.Blues running blitzzwes this week.Last week, tons of sand eels,stripers galore and of course I drove the 1.5 down from northern Rhody with squid and eels.But i'm getting the hang of it and going again early Sunday moring better prepared.Hasn't been total loss,dig for quohogs during the day and at least go home with something. nice forum.:navy:

#204 ·

Hi all I am new to Striper247 My Mom started me fishing in 1965 in Point Judith R.I. On the rocks of Galilee my two brothers and myself had Penn Squidders and rod combos and we used braided line and a 3oz sinker and a "J" hook and squid for bait that we got right over there in the blue colored bait shop We spent hours fishing and never caught very much but it was the best days of my life Then we ate over a George's take out clam cakes and chowder and just sit on the rocks all day watch the boat's go in and out of the harbor and I never put my fishing pole down I think it's graphed to my hand any how I love fishing

#205 ·

The question should be Which type of striper fishing do you enjoy most? I love to fish striped bass but I enjoy plugging from the beach the best. I fish stripers all ways but there is nothing more thrilling than hooking up a 30+ striper from the beach on an artificial . Seeing the take on top water, Having the drag scream as you pull the fish close to the drop in the wash and him digging hard to escape to deeper water. Having the fish run you 50 yrds down the beach in the trough ,as you try and wrestling him away from a jetty tip. I live for that.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

Fish Whisperer

#210 ·
There are more shore guys then boat guys,,,, I am a boat guy, and here are some of things I love about the boat,,,,, First, you can run to multiple spots instead of walking forever to one spot, and have no fish there,,,,, second, You can have your own space without having a bunch of people, shoulder too shoulder, and fighting for position, and crossing everyone's lines.
You can also sit there in comfort, have a cooler, food, and relax.
Also,, you can catch live bait, throw it in your live well, and that is great for striper fishing. Because It is comfortable, I can stay out longer, and catch more fish. I love the boat,,, love it. Love live lining pogie, squid, eel, scup,,, OMG,,, I cant wait for it to start, and hate when it ends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.