Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

What kind of striper fishing do you do mostly?

What kind of striper fishing do you enjoy most?

95K views 226 replies 176 participants last post by  Sparetime 
#1 ·
Do you do most of your striper fishing from the shore - boat - freshwater - saltwater - river - marsh - or lake? I thought it would be fun to poll you guys.

#131 ·
Re: What kind of striper fishing do you do?

Things certainly do bump into you and will spook you. getting a hit on a calm foggy night can even surprise you. When you get a good fish on they tow you around. This where the term skishing- Skiing + Fishing = Skishing, comes from. Blues are not a problem except for cutting you off or cutting your eel in half. You do get a very different perspective out there at night, especially when you are face to face with a bass. The wosrt is a sand shark, they are worse than blues cause the wrap around your line andtangle it all to hell. Then with you try to grab them, they wrap themselves around your arm and are very strong. In the water you can't brace yourself against anything and have no leverage. Retying and casting take some getting used to as well. Its challenging. You keep your eels in ziplock bags and hoookem right through the bag and rip em out. If you can float on your back in a pool and drink a beer while holding a 10' rod without spilling any and w/o drinking any water then you can probably rety in the ocean at night. When you want to keep a fish, you attach it to the stringer on your belt. The bass swims around and pokes you in the ass and the back of the legs while you drift. Now you are really a chum pot.

#133 ·

I do whatever it takes to catch the creature or have a good time trying. In Texas we fish from the boat on lakes or from boats or shore in the tailwaters. Last year I was fishing for rainbow trout and hooked and landed a fifteen lb. striper on a Wooly bugger! When here in RI or Mass, I fish from a boat or wade fish with a buddy. But mostly where ever I fish for them, I fly fish.

#135 ·

I fish from a small Lund...my friend and I alternate whose boat is used. Usually troll tube n' worm, or fish structure with plugs, soft plastics,etc in the Piscataqua, L Bay, Portsmouth Harbor, Merrimack River, Saco River. Have been out to the Isle of Shoals a few times, but do not know what I am doing out there.

#136 ·

blue jeep what side part of the canal you usually hit, woods hole side or the sandwich bay side, or right inbetween where the pillings are?

#137 ·

We used to pull plugs in the Sacramento River by boat..Also fly fished when they're in the delta..Then they start their trek to the Pacific ocean where they chase bait...Prior to this some stay in the san Francisco bay where We fly fish or troll worm jigs..Some shore fishing from prime points etc..Once they hit the beaches we Cast with larger rods 11'....With 2 1/2 - 3oz metal lures,mikis , crocks , Kast masters etc...also wood plugs...This is my favorite way to fish..Or at least it was before the water wars diminished our great bass fishery....Jim:anon:

#138 ·

I was a little shocked i didnt see my style of fishing in the pool of answers. Out west we dig a bunker, build a barrier 3' wide above ground and chuck dynamite in the water. We never catch bigins tho. Theys always small pieces of fishies. :) Stikman California style :whistle:

#140 ·

I used to be a boat guy. My brother had a CC in the Gone Fishin Marina in Montauk and we used to go out there about 3 out of 4 weekends from May to November. BUT... then he got married :smilierun: and that was the end of the boat in Montauk. So now I'm trying to learn how to surf fish for those gorgeous creatures.

#141 ·

Freshwater from a boat,rivers and lakes, trolling plugs,cut and live bait fishing,mostly landlocked stripers but ever once in a while I get to make a trip to the coast and give the big fish like most of you guys catch a try.

#142 ·

Where I live has a large inland saltwater lake called the Bras D'or Lakes..70% salinity of ocean ..every year stripers swim up the coast into the lake through one of 2 channels
in the fall and end up in the lake til late spring.
Nothing but 30+ pounders caught.

#146 ·

I like to do any kind of fishing that brings the result of me catching fish.
I like fishing off the beach the most.
I Totally Agree!:iagree: I fish now the aqueduct, it is next to my house and it is convenient. Love catching Stripers.:cheers:Good luck on landing big ones.:smiliegrd:

#150 ·

I like to throw my korkers with my waders walk out to the most unsafe looking rock get up on top of it , Grab an eel throw in a 5/0 hook cast out and hook a cow....Now the Fun part is getting it up on the Rock if it is a Cow. But thats all in fun. Always best to have someone with you in situations like this.I dont use gaffs so a little skill in maneuvering a Fish through rocks is a must while waves slap of ya....But then again thats why I do it.:a_goodjob:
BTW I do fish from a boat but only about a half dozen times a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.