Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

What kind of striper fishing do you do mostly?

What kind of striper fishing do you enjoy most?

95K views 226 replies 176 participants last post by  Sparetime 
#1 ·
Do you do most of your striper fishing from the shore - boat - freshwater - saltwater - river - marsh - or lake? I thought it would be fun to poll you guys.

#27 ·
I fish for stripers all over the place

That was a tough poll to narrow my choices about where I fish. I usually flyfish for the at Martha's Vineyard twice a year for the past 20 yrs or so. However, I bought a small boat a few years ago and have fished for them in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries.
Now, I will be retiring and moving to central PA and putting my boat in Raystown Lake and fishing there. I still travel to MV and the Jersey shore for surfcasting. All in all, I give great thanks to the striped bass to make all of this possible. And so much a wonderful part of my life.

#32 ·
pretty tough poll for me.. I fish a lot with waders from shore in tailwaters, down-river channels, a lot of skinny water under 3ft... but also fish out of my boat a tracker targa 18ft SC in all areas of the ol' kenny from one end to the other ...dam to mouth
usually a few trips to the ditch :notworthy: every year(jigger's dream)
very little surf fishing

#45 · (Edited)
Re: What kind of striper fishing do you do?

Jim, let me be honest, it's nice to hear directly from you now and then, via email, I'd get busy and email every last 3100 of us that haven't replied (I replied twice, so you're two ahead).
Kind of gives you warm fuzzies just thinking about it, doesn't it?

#36 ·
I am new to this site, and I see that I am a minority fisherman, fishing from the banks of the rivers for these majestic fish. I am very landlocked in Tennessee so I fish whereever I can. I spent many years deep sea fishing in Hawaii. No striper there, unfortunately. I really enjoy this site, have learned lots already, thanks for making this possible. I have found that below the dams seems to be a pretty good place to go. So far no big'uns, but I am working at it.

#39 ·
surf and jetties

I mostly fish surf and a couple of jetties in RI from Stinky beach around the point to Matunuck where I grew up in the summers.
I'm suprised the Jetty numbers arent as high as the surf in the poll.

I am still new to this site and been seriously fishing surf at night for a couple of years now. I have found this site THE site for info.

Also, I recieved my hat a couple of months ago and that same weekend had so far the best day of the year wearing it. So these hats do bring good luck!!

JIM, YOU DA MAN headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

#43 ·

Boat, drift fishing for years all over Raritan Bay. Used " balloon style" float for livelining. It's fun watching the balloon get " excited". Now, while rebuilding another boat, I'm in surf with and without waders. It's pretty dramatic when you're catching, but I have got to get that boat done.

#48 ·

I voted surf but I really need this option
Freshwater River Brackish waters / Brackish Marsh / Flats / Estuary / Saltwater Pier / Bridge / Jetty fishing / Ocean / from shore and yak.
If Hybrids are also part of it add inreservoir.

When I had more time I have even done Brackish Marsh / Flats / Estuary / Bridge / Jetty fishing / Ocean / from shore and yak in the same trip.

#51 ·

I live in new jersey and when we talk about striper fishing we talk about fishing the surf, like most of the northeast fisherman. But with the freshwater stripers being stocked all over the country kind of changes the equation. We all use different methods to catch the same fish!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.